Cost of dive equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The experienced divers on this board are quick to recommend buying used gear because they are comfortable doing so. I just bought some used regs I don't really need but I am going to service them myself and they will be like new. I don't really care if they freeflow like crazy when they arrive. A new diver does not have the knowledge to avoid getting screwed on a used gear purchase so should either rent for a while, buy new with warranty, or buy used from a reputable dealer or from an individual with the help of a very experienced friend.

While agree with you on used reg and BC, I think buying some thing used is very reasonable for OW, such as fins and snorkels. OW student shouldn't even buy reg or BC to begin with because they have no idea what they are getting. The usual required 5 personal items, what need to fit (mask, gloves, boots) needs to fit new or used (less likekly), but fins and snorkel, I will say grab from craiglist if you can find some.

Then you guys have no idea what is high cost of living. A 2400sqft home in my area in a 6000sqft lot will cost $2.5M if not more. $600K will get me a 800sqft 1bedroom condo Property tax is 1.25%. :( I need to move.

Even that, our PADI OW class is $400 person, this is from 2 very well run shops here.
$400 for ow class, includes required learning materials? DVD video? That alone can cost $108.
Did the facility supply personal gear use of mask,snkl,fins,boots? Or did you need to own ?
Was ow training dives included? Gear rentals? If total cost to get certified was $400 and included all that , I have no idea how they manage to stay in business.
San Francisco is very expensive ..been there long time ago.

I don't know what is the dive shop operation in your region, but here in Silicon Valley, the $400 OW, shop provides all gear rental except personal items (mask, fins, gloves, boots, snorkel). OW students need to have their own log book ($15) and text book, but not necessary the DVD or dive planner table as long as the sharing don't impede the learning process. So this usually can apply to couples such as in OP's case. Now, why add $200-$300 for 3mm wetsuit?? In NY, I double this is useful at all. And sure if you want to include hotel and get away, you might as well include a week long stay in Boa Boa for OW there, it is $10K person in that case.
Over 50% of our customers have travel plans when they walking the door. Our pool is heated to 81 degrees and due to amount of time in it you will get cold. We do not require wet suit to participate, but do recommend it. So shop in silicone valley requires you to own m,f,s,boots.budget for that when taking course. .does the $400 include ow training dives? Tank,bcd,regulator,computer rentals? You actually charge $100 more than what we do for ow course. Here it is $299. for academics and pool training.. But we do not hide the additional costs involved when asked how much to get certified.

$400 for ow class, includes required learning materials? DVD video? That alone can cost $108.
Did the facility supply personal gear use of mask,snkl,fins,boots? Or did you need to own ?
Was ow training dives included? Gear rentals? If total cost to get certified was $400 and included all that , I have no idea how they manage to stay in business.
San Francisco is very expensive ..been there long time ago.

$400 for instructions, gear rental, pool, OW dive. Each student need to have the OW book and log book. A group can share a DVD and dive planner as long as sharing don't impede the learning. So my wife and her sister can just have one DVD and one dive planner

And no shop don't provide personal gear, but who is to say they need to cost a fixed amount. My wife bough a new mask she fits well (Oceanic Shadow) for $45, clearance section gloves (some pinnacle 5mm) for ~$40 and 7mm boots ~40, $10 snokel and $20 jet fins from craiglist. I add spring strap for her ($20). Total less tan $200.

The point is the fees paid to shop and instructor are only thing that is fixed. Other items are really up to the individuals. For someone who has access to scuba gear, could it be a friend or family members, you can't add those item into the cost and charge the student when they don't need.

The way the good shops stay in business is by providing very good service and instructions. People here generally spend money to buy expansive thing too. Also there are large community of GUE/UTD tech level diver here, they do spend significantly amount on gear and especially gas

don't get me wrong. I am all for quality training even if at high cost. Here, I just want to show a comparison for an average OW class. So here, we need $400 + Mask/snorke/fins/gloves/boots + course material. That is it. Gear rental for the entire duration of the class is included. Travel or hotel stay is extra, but most don't need in my area

don't get me wrong. I am all for quality training even if at high cost. Here, I just want to show a comparison for an average OW class. So here, we need $400 + Mask/snorke/fins/gloves/boots + course material. That is it. Gear rental for the entire duration of the class is included. Travel or hotel stay is extra, but most don't need in my area
So the total costs on west coast vs east coast almost the same..all within $100-$150..tuition on west coast $400..ow crewpack and log book , eRDPml total $67..so a student is now looking at $467..add in cost of m,f,s,boots, can be anywhere from $200 to $350..can be zero if gear borrowed,but most people will need to actually purchase. Now total cost up to possibly $700-$750 +..not much different than $800-$850 now is it?

So the total costs on west coast vs east coast almost the same..all within $100-$150..tuition on west coast $400..ow crewpack and log book , eRDPml total $67..so a student is now looking at $467..add in cost of m,f,s,boots, can be anywhere from $200 to $350..can be zero if gear borrowed,but most people will need to actually purchase. Now total cost up to possibly $700-$750 +..not much different than $800-$850 now is it?

yes, it seems to be within the ballpark. You may charge $100 less for the instruction, but students need to rent gear for OW session. Here the $100 more is more or less equal to gear rental for OW session.

But I kind of interpret the OP as he was quote $865 for instructions. that was why he ask what gear to purchase with the money left over.

Back to OP's number. He started with $5k for two people, so $2500 each. Using my area OW number, say OW instruction + books + Misc: $500. Mask/gloves/fins/boots/snorkel: $200. He has $1800 left after OW certification.

Say set of reg (1st + 2x2nd + gauge), could it be used major brand + service, or new HOG/Deep6 good quality value oriented brand: $550. Computer: $200. Used steel tank in hydro: $200 each, say you need 1 only. BC: $400. Entry level spear fish gun: $100. That is $1450. You have $350 left for a suit, which is possible but budget is tight. It is not easy to fit everything into the budget. I don't know how others can put you into a whole set for $1500.

Last edited:
He did not need to buy mask,snkl,fins,boots as it was already owned. Most people would need to purchase..did not need to rent regulator, bcd,computer, already had ownership of gear. Most students would have needed to rent...people ask "how much to get certified? ". After all said and done give them a realistic number, not just cost of academics,confined water..also count in ow training dive fees, personal gear costs, rentals.. I can say a class I teach is $299. By the way you need to purchase mask snkl fins boots, learning materials, fee for ow training dives,entry fee to dive site, rentals..list can go on.. Why not be upfront and honest to give them an idea what to budget for?...

You are posting in a forum where the majority of people already have their OW, and know what was required and how much it cost, including myself.

If you are used to charging 2 to 3 times the industry standard with your list that "can go on", that is up to you, as with the dive shop that the OP is considering.

But you forget your audience here, who know when something is fishy, no matter how much salt you try to put on it.

OP located north of our location in Yonkers NY.., about 45 to 60 minute drive.He may be closer to NJ facility on rt 17..the cost he says he was quoted sounds like something we would say or the facility in NJ would say..if he asked for total cost involved. Of course it can be less $ or can be more. Depends on if they already own required personal gear to participate or if they can borrow or if they need to purchase. We do not require student to purchase here, some shops do, but of course recommend that they do purchase here to insure proper fit and comfort. Not cool if gear does not fit properly and delays ease of learning and holds group class back. Shop long enough for anything and you can find cheaper elsewhere. Quality and service may not be there, but you get what you pay for. We have our own parking lot and heated indoor pool in the facility, no need to drive from facility to a pool. All other dive shops in area are 400 to 800 sq ft stores,you park on street,load your car with gear,drive to pool, and then at end of night do it all again in reverse. We own entire building and property. Much larger investment in the business
Already own required personal gear? Tuition is $299, ow crewpack and DVD is $108..that's all you pay for course academics and pool. Take referral form and complete training dives elsewhere , perhaps on island vacation, OR do it locally with us at cost of $269, which is for the dives and includes gear rental.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom