Cost of pony setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is for future planning - a year or two down the road.

How much could I expect to shell out for a complete pony setup? I'd be looking at a 30 cft cylinder.

Thanks! :)

You can get the mounting hardware for maybe $20. A used regulator for maybe $75, a new plug pressure guage for $20 and whatever the bottle costs, you may be able to find a used one for $100 or less. Why wait? Seriously?

You can get the mounting hardware for maybe $20. A used regulator for maybe $75, a new plug pressure guage for $20 and whatever the bottle costs, you may be able to find a used one for $100 or less. Why wait? Seriously?

Finances. I'd rather put my money into more training (which includes some private sessions) and diving to get more experience. I know a number of Great Lakes divers who use a pony on dives about 80 ft and deeper. I don't plan on the deeper wrecks until 2018.

Finances. I'd rather put my money into more training (which includes some private sessions) and diving to get more experience. I know a number of Great Lakes divers who use a pony on dives about 80 ft and deeper. I don't plan on the deeper wrecks until 2018.

I use one deeper than 50 or 60 feet (and I can freedive to 80 on a good day). How deep can you freedive?

Why not get an 80? Even if a 19 is enough?

A pony, hmmm, tank, what about $150, an old regulator and rebuild it, hardware from Ace, $250 or less.

N

Last edited:
Check craigslist this time of year for used equipment. I think I paid $50 for a used aluminum 27. I have a used reg I bought with a set with only a few dives on it for $200 (al80 tank, Sherwood BCD, and scubapro mk11 reg set) the only things I bought were a small pressure gauge that screws directly into the 1st stage, a couple of stainless hose clamps, and a couple of hose clamp d ring mounts from Dive gear express.

Tank mounts can get expensive, I only carry mine when I dive solo so I just clip it off across my waist.

Good luck,
Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom