Cost of pony setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went the AIr 2 route and have a single second stage on my primary reg and on my pony. After many hundreds of dives, this seems to have worked well for me. The Air 2 helps eliminate the potential for confusion of second stages and if the Air 2 free flows, you have the ability to disconnect it AND you are monitoring the air supply which feeds it .. this is different than the back mounted pony with no gauge.

In addition, the chance for a significant un-noticed freeflow is still pretty small. i doubt you will see it in 10 or 100 dives, but it is a weakness that seems simple to avoid. The biggest risk is when diving in cold water, with thick suits, rough conditions and swimming down an anchor line in rough seas and big current. Those are the situations where a freeflow is easy to overlook--drift diving in south florida,, less likely to not notice.

I don't know. The whole setup is relatively new to me. Some people choose to loop the SPG behind the 1st stage which would create a little bit looser bend. This way is a little easier for me to see. It's a MiFlex hose so maybe I can get away with bending it a little more than a rubber one.

My deco bottle reg set came with a gauge setup like that. I used it for a while and then replaced it with a good 1" button gauge.

Mini-SPG, { 1 in | 2.5 cm } Face

I like that setup a lot better.

Just watched video from pool session yesterday. Holy crap! My octo was out of the holder a ton of the time. I just ordered a necklace from DRIS to pick up when I get my Halcyon wing back from the inflator repair.

I use one of these around the neck of my deco cylinder to hold the 2nd stage. I think it was $1.50 at my LDS.

Amazon.com : 50 Silicone Scuba Octo Holder Strap - Made in Maine, USA - Yellow : Sports & Outdoors

It keeps the mouthpiece tucked in, pointing at the valve and overall more streamlined. Never yet had the 2nd stage fall out by accident. And it's easy to see and grab to put the 2nd stage back in if I use it then need to stow it during the dive (so far, only something to do in training).

Regarding your bungee necklace, you can easily make your own with a piece of shock cord (aka bungee). One reason you might want to is that size does matter. You don't want your alternate held TOO close to you neck. But, ideally it would be close enough that you could get your reg in your mouth without using your hands if you had to. It looks to me like a lot of the pre-made bungee necklaces are made big enough to work even on really big people, so they let the alternate 2nd stage hang too low on most people.

I've seen two different methods for making a bungee necklace. One is to tie two Fishman knots forming a hole. Insert the mouthpiece in the hole and pull from both sides to tighten it down. That is the method that I used on both of my reg sets. I can testify that that method will, under the right circumstances, allow the reg to pull out of the necklace. The other method, which I will probably change to at some point when I'm not being lazy, is to put a zip tie loosely around the mouthpiece. Take a piece of bungee and tie a big knot in each end. Put the bungee through the zip tie (one knotted end on either side of the reg mouthpiece) and tighten the zip tie. That method is about as sure as you can get that the reg won't be able to pull out of the necklace.

Oh, and regarding attaching a bolt snap to your primary 2nd stage: You can do it with cave line. But, an alternative is to use a loop of bicycle inner tube (or equivalent). Make a Prusik Loop through the end of the bolt snap, then do another one around the hose, near the 2nd stage. No knots to come loose. No cave line to get wet and stretch and get loose. Easy to visually inspect the rubber band and tell if it needs to be replaced. In my experience, less likely to move on the hose (but CAN slide, if the bolt snap is clipped to your harness and somebody grabs the reg and pulls it to them - e.g. OOA situation), and the bolt snap is less "floppy". I used cave line for a while but switched to the rubber band setup a few months ago and, so far, I like it better.

unc, I like the idea of a bolt snap on my primary. It's always been annoying to me that if you're not using it, it will float off somewhere or fall off your chest, if you've placed it there. It this is the ideal solution. I bought some bolt snaps and 50' of cave line for stuff like this when I was at DRIS last week.

Where exactly do you position the bolt snap?

I had this question almost exactly 2 years ago, some useful info in that thread - Snap swivel positioning on SPG/regulator hose?

The DRIS bungee necklace was only $5. I'll adjust as needed.

push/pull the knot out of the plastic sleeve.
untie and trim and retie.
then just pull the knot back under the sleeve.

don't forget to melt the ends of the bungee covering after you cut it. it helps if you have the bungee stretched out while you cut.

I went the AIr 2 route and have a single second stage on my primary reg and on my pony. After many hundreds of dives, this seems to have worked well for me. The Air 2 helps eliminate the potential for confusion of second stages and if the Air 2 free flows, you have the ability to disconnect it AND you are monitoring the air supply which feeds it .. this is different than the back mounted pony with no gauge.

In addition, the chance for a significant un-noticed freeflow is still pretty small. i doubt you will see it in 10 or 100 dives, but it is a weakness that seems simple to avoid. The biggest risk is when diving in cold water, with thick suits, rough conditions and swimming down an anchor line in rough seas and big current. Those are the situations where a freeflow is easy to overlook--drift diving in south florida,, less likely to not notice.

Yeah, we'll see. I just had a longer hose put on my pony rig, so I'll probably invert the tank in the mount in order to reach the valve while strapped in. That will give me the option of charging the second stage and then closing the valve if I'm worried about a free-flow.

The other factor I have to sort out is whether I can get a 5' hose for the Poseidon Cyklon I'm using as a primary these days. If I can't get one I may go ahead and have my pony reg on the necklace and my octo on the chest D-ring. My dive shop here in Miami ordered a 5' hose from Poseidon, but when I went in today it turns out the hose is made to fit newer models than mine ... which, if the tech is right, was manufactured in the 1960s. So yeah, I've done four dives this year with a 50-year old reg set. Gotta hand it to those folks - after an overhaul it's working like a champ.

Back
Top Bottom