Costa Rica Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

November, December and part of January are the best, as far as viz. If you'd like, double check with Diving Safari's or with Rich Coast Diving. Actually RCD's post (two back) gives you the link to all the local dive shops - you can email them if you'd like :)

Thanks, that is good to know. Everything I've read says the viz is extremely variable. I guess it's hard for those of us use to Caribbean diving. In Bonaire we start complaining if it's less than 80.

I'm looking for our next dive destination--Christmas '08. Maybe this is the place.

Hi!
Remember: Important is what you see. Not how far.
When you see turtles, rays, sharks in 30ft viz, they are even closer to you.
The plankton which effects the viz is what brings this enormous variety of marine life.
It's worth a try...
:)

I agree, Deep Blue--well, I mostly agree. With only two weeks of diving per year, I guess I can be overly cautious.

We have two weeks at Christmas--would it be a good idea to spend it all at Ocotal or to also include Drake Bay?

I was in Drake Bay a couple of years ago in December. I stayed at Agula De Osa. Love the place and the area....but the diving...vis was about 20' max.....Lots of stuff in the water...just could not see it.

Personally, I'd pass on Drake Bay

Personally, I'd pass on Drake Bay

Why?....is it because the Vis is usually poor?....Of course I was told the week I was there vis was unusually poor...They said Vis is usually 60'+...some how I did believe them.

Why?....is it because the Vis is usually poor?....Of course I was told the week I was there vis was unusually poor...They said Vis is usually 60'+...some how I did believe them.

Nah, not at all. It is just every time I have thought of noodling down that way there just doesn't seem as much to do/see, compared to where I am at.

I'll have to try your area of CR one of these times when I get tired of the Indo-Pacific region...LOL.....I really liked the Drake Bay area.....Just the diving at Cano Island....could not see anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom