Costs of hyperbaric chamber treatment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grocio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,

I hope to be posting this thread on the right forum, but I couldn't find any where to put general questions about diving insurances or costs of medical treatments.

In the coming time I expect to dive in Asian countries such as Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore. I leave in the Netherlands and my local insurance covers the treatment of diving accidents abroad up to the costs of the treatment in the Netherlands. Thus, for example, if the cost of a treatment abroad amounts to 10,000 U$ and in the Netherlands the same treatment amounts to 7,000 U$, then my insurance will cover up to 7,000 U$.

I was trying to get information about the costs of hyperbaric chamber treatment in the countries mentioned above, so as to have more elements to determine whether it would be wise to take another insurance, just in case my current one would be insufficient for this typical diver sickness. I couldn't find an answer on the Internet, and I was wondering whether someone among you does have it.

Thanks in advance for your reply, guys.

The costs of the treatments will vary greatly with the country but more importantly will be in some of these countries the chambers will not be close by and may require a extended helicopter evacuation or even a chartered jet to get you to the chamber which can put your bill into the 6 figure range. You will need insurance to cover this portion of the treatment- we suggest DAN to our clients but I know there are other just as good options. I have found in extensive diving and leading expeditions in Asia that DAN is the most widely accepted. Also the cost is quite small compared to some.

Sayonara, Japan-diver. Your recommendation is much appreciated. But I've a question: what do you mean by DAN being the most widely 'accepted'? Do you mean that the hyperbaric chamber administrator may refuse to provide a treatment to someone having a valid insurance from a company he/she doesn't know? I'm asking you this because I've found an insurance company here in the Netherlands that offers a good deal (including the total cost of hyperbaric chamber treatment abroad), but that perhaps isn't known in an Asian country, or that perhaps is not as well-known as DAN in continents other than Europe.
Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Chamber costs vary based on location, the amount of treatment required, and discounts the insurance companies have negociated with the chambers. I don't think you will be able to get an answer to your question.

You will be able to get treatment, but depending on your insurance carrier, you may find that you have to pay and be reimbursed for your treatment if the insurance you've got doesn't have an agreement in place with the chamber operator. I've known of cases where people have had to pay by credit card (even needing to get their credit limits raised in order to cover the fees) and then have asked for reimbursement.

It's not just the chamber fees, however, that are important. You need insurance that covers emergency evacuation as well. It does no good to be sure that you can afford the chamber treatments if you can't get to the chamber in the first place. Among the countries you've listed, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore, the chambers (other than Singapore) may be quite some distance from where you're diving--too far to travel overland or by sea to reach in a timely manner--meaning you will need to be airlifted out. Check your NL insurance to make sure you're covered for emergency evacuation as well as how that is paid for if covered. If it's not covered, just buy the DAN insurance; it's not that expensive after all, and you'll have peace of mind. If it is covered, be aware that often insurance companies (including DAN) make the airlift arrangements themselves and pay the flights directly; you may not be able to get reimbursed for flights you arrange and pay for yourself.

If your insurance is not recognized or has no way to pay in the country you are in you will most likely have to pay upfront and get reimbursed later. In most diving areas DAN is very well know and this is not required (again most areas not all). Evacuation to a chamber is usually the most expensive- had a friend involved in an evac from Palau last year that ran into the low 6 figures to get the person on a plane for treatment- DAN paid the full tab.

Thanks a lot, guys.

One aspect of the DAN-Europe insurance which somewhat troubles me is that for 'search & rescue expenses' covers up to Euro 10,000 (about U$ 13,000), while the Dutch insurance I referred to it covers the total cost. I've no idea whether the amount covered by DAN would be sufficient to cover the costs of a search & rescue operation, say of a diver who got several kilometers away from the dive site because of the current. Any comments about it?

Thanks in advance!

Don't worry. DAN is secondary insurance anyway, meaning that it pays out after your primary insurance has met its limits. If you're concerned, for example, that a course of chamber treatments will exceed what your Dutch insurance will pay, then you really should get the DAN insurance as well since whatever isn't covered by the Dutch company will then be paid for by DAN. Similarly, if your Dutch coverage doesn't include emergency evacuation (it's common for heath/accident insurance to exclude this), then DAN insurance will cover the entire cost. In other words, you don't have to pick one or the other insurance company to pay any unexpected medical bills resulting from a dive accident--instead the two insurance companies will coordinate their payments, one paying what they other excludes, so that you are not stuck with a big medical bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom