Count Down to Wreckmania!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since this is the spot for last minute stuff I'll post this here....

This is the last call for Wreckmania Dee-Rags. I've got:

NetDoc
Diving Gal
Herman - 2
TexasMike
Big O
Charlie & Pam - 2

Since I can't make it, TexasMike will bring them to you. Net Doc and Herman have paid and the others can pay Mike or send me a check for $15 per rag.

To see what they look like,
CLICK HERE

If anyone else wants one, I need to know ASAP.

A better question would be, "How much older than either of you am I?" The guess closest to the right decade will be considered correct.

Can we use the fingers and toes of ALL the participants to count them on??? :tease:

Originally posted by Natasha
How many beers can Mike and Pete drink during Wreckmania?
I don't know about Pete, but I'm a very low volume consumer on dive trips....especially when there's lots of multi-dive days going on. I prefer to be well hydrated and unbent.

Dee..When you're ready to send the rags to me, use the return address on the evelope from the salvage yard. Check from me for the FG trip is in the mail box now, so you should have it by the weekend.

PS. Ronbo loves his TSDT rag.

Originally posted by TexasMike
....Dee..When you're ready to send the rags to me, use the return address on the evelope from the salvage yard. Check from me for the FG trip is in the mail box now, so you should have it by the weekend.

PS. Ronbo loves his TSDT rag.

Good...I'm glad he liked it. I still have a few extras.

BTW...can you email me a good copy of the finished TSDT logo. We're gonna paint it on the side of the bathhouse at TL and I need to make some stencils.

Hi, Its true that I am not a diver....but I am married to a diver! (LOL)
I have some experence as a bubble watcher with Natasha. I have been on the boat in Roatan, Xcaret in Mexico and in Cozumel.

Sea Ya all soon,
Marci

Everyone wants reminders and details on the trip.

While the many threads and hundreds (literally) of posts about this trip have been fun they do make it difficult to find all the info you might need.

I need some current info from each of you.

Send me an e-mail to waterknife@aol.com Please tell me:

1. Are you diving nitrox?
2. What size tank do you prefer? (I'll get the closest available)
3. Are you planning to dive morning and afternoon (nitrox
only) on the wrecks? If yes, is this every day?
4. If you are not planning to dive morning and afternoon would
you rather dive AM or PM? (If possible, you'll get the trip you
want. If too many choose morning, I will have to assign some
to afternoon)
5. When are you flying in? out?
6. Do you have a reel?

Info you need:

Required equipment:

Mask, snorkel, fins, SCUBA cylinder, valve, BC, LPI, regulator with 2 second stages, SPG, weight system, timing device, depth gauge(or computer), light, reel (may be shared), signaling device (whistle, mirror or safety sausage), knife or shears and slate.

Nice but not required:

Compass, computer and pony bottle or doubles.

Dive Schedule: (Wreck info taken from http://www.dixiediver.com/shipwreck.htm )

7/20 Dive 1 - Ancient Mariner 70 ft

Lat 26 18.110 Lon 80 03.700 Location: Almost a mile offshore inside the third reef line. The former Coast Guard Cutter Nemesis served as a sub chaser during WW II; she was launched in 1934 from Point Pleasant, Virginia. The 337 ton, rivet steel ship was permanently stationed in St. Petersburg, where she served and protected Florida. Although not the fastest ship in the fleet, she was perfectly designed for search and rescue missions in the Gulf of Mexico and South Atlantic. The constant battering of hurricanes kept the Nemesis busy picking up survivors from disabled and weather-beaten ships and towing stricken vessels to safety. From 1934 to 1942, she saved hundreds of lives as well as millions of dollars worth of property. During world War II, the Nemesis was used for an entirely different purpose. As 1942 rolled in, German U-boats were putting tremendous pressure on commercial shipping off the coast of U.S. These warships target oil tankers making their way from Texas and South America. The cutter was used for hunting down Nazi subs, and prove very good at it. After the war, she was again stationed in St. Petersburg, until her decommissioning in 1964. In 1979, a local business bought the vessel and converted into a floating restaurant and bar. The owner ran into financial problems and sold the vessel.

The new owner renamed the ship/restaurant as the Ancient Mariner and were scheduled to reopen in 1981. This is when the story turns bizarre. Just before the reopening in 1981, she capsized and sank at the dock, for no apparent reason. It took more then $85,000 to re-float and renovate the water damaged restaurant. Once again open, the Ancient Mariner became popular eatery in the Fort Lauderdale area. In 1986, however, an event still remembered by locals sealed the ship's fate. More than 100 customers and restaurant employees contracted hepatitis A from an infected salad maker employed at the restaurant. This was the largest outbreak of hepatitis A in Florida history. The running joke among divers is to not eat any fish caught on the wreck just in case some of the virus is still around. She was sunk as an artificial reef in June 9, 1991 as part of the Broward Reef program. The 165-foot Cutter rest in 70 feet of water. A steel-hulled work boat named the C-Note sits 60 feet West of her bow.

Dive 2 - United Caribbean 70 ft

The United Caribbean is a 147-foot steel cargo ship sunk as part of the Artificial Reef Program of Palm Beach, in August 22 2000 just a mile south of the Boca Raton Inlet and 3/4 mile of the cost at a depth of 70 feet. The ship had been built in 1969 and had a Panamanian registry to operate only in waters around Singapore. But by the early 1990's, it was being used by smugglers to illegally ferry people and drugs. in 1993 the smugglers stuffed 300 people to cramped quarters in the belly of the freighter, all hidden under a tarp. Some boarded in Kenya; it was the second leg of the trip that began on another ship in Thailand.

The passengers, yearning to reach the United States and paying smugglers $30,000 or more to be on board, were forced to subsist on a diet of rice, dirty water and spoiled food, as the ship sailed from Kenya in March 1993 to New York. The plan was for the crew of mostly Burmese and Indonesians to ram the ship into the bridge or dam so the passengers could escape to shore. But the crew instead steered it in circles until the vessel beached off Queens. After a four month voyage, ten people died trying to swim to shore.

It is sitting upright just 250 feet south of the wreck Sea Emperor. Excellent site for advanced class (wreck divers) for penetration on the wheel house and the engine room.

7/21 Dive 1 - Captain Dan 117 ft We'll stay at 100 ft or shallower

Lat 26 13.857 Lon 80 03.960 Location: Just south of the Jay Dorman Artificial Reef. 1 1/2 mile from shore, just outside the third reef line. The 175-foot Coast Guard buoy tender Hollyhock was sunk in February, 20 1990 in memory of Capt DAN GARNSEY, a long time Broward County resident and owner of the drift fishing boat Helen S. Garnsey died in the year Captain Dan was placed on the bottom. This ship spend most of her 53 years career as the Coast Guard buoy tender Hollyhock. The sinking was delayed for more than a month because, ironically, the high seas caused by January storms were too rough to sink a ship.

The wreck is still completely intact, but it is inundated with more than eight years growth. This growth was accelerate by the almost constant current that flows around it. The former U.S. Coast Guard vessel and treasure hunter has rapidly developed into an underwater treasure of its own.

The wreck emerges into view as divers descend just a few feet from the surface. Visibility at the site averages 50 to 75 feet, although there are days when it is so good the entire wreck can be distinguished at one glance. Captain Dan has been prepared with large access holes between the forepeak, cargo hold and engine room, providing certified wreck divers easy opportunity for penetration. It is definitely a jewel of Florida's ''Wreck Alley''. She lies upright in 110 feet of water in the rodeo reef site. This intact wreck is a great dive. Her wheelhouse is 70 feet below the surface.

Dive 2 - Jay Doorman 83 ft

Lat 26 13.857 Lon 80 04.027 Located 1-1/2 miles directly offshore from the Pompano Pier ( just north of Atlantic Blvd.). The 130-foot luxury schooner Panda was sunk in May 1987 as an artificial reef memorial for Jay Dorman. The beautiful sailing ship rests in 78 feet of water on her port side. The vessel was formerly owned by the Emperor of Vietnam and later used as a charter craft for Windjammer Cruises before fire damage in 1984. The schooner Alpha lies only 50 feet north.

7/22 Dive 1 - Captain Dan 117 ft We'll stay at 100 ft or shallower

Dive 2 - RSB-1 107 ft We'll stay at 100 ft or shallower

A 160-foot US Tender was sunk in 120 feet of water on May 14, 1994.

Walter - thanks for the details! It was also great to speak with you in person on the phone last night.

Dee - I thought I'd said Lyd and I would each take a Dee-Rag, as long as you're SURE our masses of unruly hair will be contained. :) Drop me a PM with your address and "real" name, and I'll put a check in the mail. OR, if you're short on time, we can live without them... :-(

Really excited about this trip!

Scuba-sass :)

hey Natasha...Walter...or any Wreckmania participant...

Is it possible to have a portable there and post here for us poor souls that will not be there ???

It will be far better than a trip report at the end of the trip!! More details...more enthusiasm etc etc

Think about it !!

Manogr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom