Covid mask wearing protocol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a good thing, so long as it's based on science and not political pressures. It's also a good thing to know which sources periodically amend their advice versus which sources "update" their estimates every other week depending on which interviewer asks the question.

But just because the U-turn is a good thing is not grounds to deny that there was a u-turn and act like the general population was advised correctly from the outset. I would just like to see the "experts" man up and accept responsibility rather than scapegoat (or sit back and let others scapegoat) politicians and talk show hosts. You can point a finger at Trump or Fox but there were no executive orders blocking CDC or other "experts" from advising the medical industry to brace itself and stock up on PPE back in January. Instead, experts like Fauci was giving interviews calling the the threat to America "miniscule" in late Feb when Italians were dying in the streets and he even said in early March that if healthy people wanted to take a cruise they should feel free to go on a cruise.

Those are good points, and of course, it's impossible to specifically answer for the entire medical community and all of the millions of interviews, articles, tweets, posts and other things that get lumped into the rubric of "they said this, but that".

My point was that Fauci and other's weren't "lying". Terms like "U-turn" and "flip-flop" are what we use when we "catch" a politician saying one thing based on supposedly bedrock principal when they previously said the opposite. Using those terms to describe the normal scientific process working at unprecedented speed and volume isn't helpful.

My point was that Fauci and other's weren't "lying". Terms like "U-turn" and "flip-flop" are what we use when we "catch" a politician saying one thing based on supposedly bedrock principal when they previously said the opposite. Using those terms to describe the normal scientific process working at unprecedented speed and volume isn't helpful.

A real scientist would never, ever, ever, ever state opinion as fact. But, we live in a world where we see that every single day.

A real scientist would never, ever, ever, ever state opinion as fact. But, we live in a world where we see that every single day.

Right?
Scolded by high school students and experimented on by billionaires...

The fear of the foreigners is that they are coming from problem areas and some don't seem to care about us, they want to act like nothing is happening while having their good time. While the street vendors may smile while trying to sell you things, I can assure you that they are muttering pinche gringos to themselves every time they see an entitled mask less tourist walk by..

Chuck, my wife and I just returned from a 2 week dive trip in Coz and from what we experienced the local population and tourists both do not wear masks as they should. You live there and you must see what we did. Mask wearing is pretty much no different between locals and tourists. They wear them where they absolutely must in grocery stores but outside in the fresh air it is a free-for-all for both. In fact, tourists were wearing masks outside in public at a higher percentage than locals.

The vendors and barkers could care less about Covid as far as I could see. Most had their masks pulled down under their chins as they chat and hang with their other non-mask-wearing locals while they bark at everyone to come in and shop their stores. We even had one say "No mask necessary, come in" while we were wearing our masks. WTF is that about?

The only thing those junk vendors (who have been stripped of the cruise ship crowd they were used to screwing on a daily basis) are learning is divers are here, we are populating the island as tourists, and our $ goes to our accommodations, our dive ops, the restaurants we frequent and the few, select quality stores we have shopped for years.

I went to lunch with a coworker on Tuesday, and he tested positive on Wednesday (we drove in my car). My temp was elevated on Saturday. On Monday, I got tested and received the positive test on Tuesday. I know where I got it, even though I was around others. Case investigators and contact tracers are a big help with the deductions of where a person might have contracted it.

If you went to a Trump rally, you might assume you got viral loading for ten or more people (but which ones you wouldn't know).

Or it could of been a "peaceful" rally of any kind not just a Trump rally.

We both fully recovered. The cough I had before the virus is now gone. Things are well, and thank you for your thoughts.

Just curious if you had a cough before contracting the virus, isn't it possible you where asymptomatic and he/she caught it from you? If he/she was a coworker there may have been earlier contact and you could of not had the symptoms other than a cough.

Just curious if you had a cough before contracting the virus, isn't it possible you where asymptomatic and he/she caught it from you? If he/she was a coworker there may have been earlier contact and you could of not had the symptoms other than a cough.

I would have been asymptomatic from January to October, then became symptomatic.

Chuck, my wife and I just returned from a 2 week dive trip in Coz and from what we experienced the local population and tourists both do not wear masks as they should. You live there and you must see what we did. Mask wearing is pretty much no different between locals and tourists. They wear them where they absolutely must in grocery stores but outside in the fresh air it is a free-for-all for both. In fact, tourists were wearing masks outside in public at a higher percentage than locals.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but my opinion is that whole statement is laughable.

I went to get a breakfast sandwich this morning - the 7-8 people in line all wearing masks. Got pool chemicals, both workers wearing masks when I walked in, one went off to the corner and slipped his down and was texting on his phone, the lady tucked back in the office taking money, no mask but except for the hole you slip your money thru, I'd say pretty isolated. Pet store to get a tick color, all three people wearing masks when I walked in. Down Melgar, police had a large group of tourists up on the benches passing out masks, bunches of people waiting on snorkeling boats, most had masks on. Off to the Villa, one maid and the maintenance worker both wearing masks, the boss lady wasn't. Off to Pakmail - the wife sitting in front wearing a mask, the husband who speaks better english puts his mask on before coming up to help me. The 6 scooter rental companies right there around pakmail, everyone wearing masks - entire families or groups waiting for their scooters, 50% of them not wearing masks. Off to Aldora, park at the hospital, security guard comes out putting his mask on. In the office, divers are back, most wearing masks, one lady sitting outside isn't but she's outside by herself - all the staff was wearing a mask, talked with Memo for 15 minutes, he wore his mask the whole time, Liang has left quite the mark on him. Down to Mega, all the taxi drivers sitting around with their masks mostly on - everyone in the store with the on. Chedraui virtually the same thing, scooter watchers had their masks on. Oxxo, people getting off scooters putting masks on to go into the store - girl opening the door for you, wearing a mask. Stopped by the house of love to chat with the chicas, they weren't wearing masks.........

I heard that the police had a check point on Aerpuerto Blvd saying that even single drivers in cars must wear masks - that's been the rule but if you had a mask visible, they never have said anything to me. I only wear a mask when around other people and on the scooter only when I'm downtown or in lots of traffic.

What I have heard is from friends from the US that our standards are way more strict than back home. I can't speak to it, our rules more or less follow common sense. Yep, you'll see locals without masks when they are away from other folks. What most folks here object to is the large groups of tourists congregating, conducting business, walking into businesses or basically being too close to others with no regard to mask wearing - when you see a group of ten and not a mask around the neck or dangling out of a pocket. You do not see anything like that at all from local folks - sure, four of us might be sitting at a table having a beer, but you'll see four masks sitting there too.

The vendors and barkers could care less about Covid as far as I could see. Most had their masks pulled down under their chins as they chat and hang with their other non-mask-wearing locals while they bark at everyone to come in and shop their stores. We even had one say "No mask necessary, come in" while we were wearing our masks. WTF is that about?

The only thing those junk vendors (who have been stripped of the cruise ship crowd they were used to screwing on a daily basis) are learning is divers are here, we are populating the island as tourists, and our $ goes to our accommodations, our dive ops, the restaurants we frequent and the few, select quality stores we have shopped for years.

Your description is the polar opposite of what we experienced and observed the 2nd and 3rd weeks of October.
We stayed in a downtown Airbnb.

My experience is much the same.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but my opinion is that whole statement is laughable.

I went to get a breakfast sandwich this morning - the 7-8 people in line all wearing masks. Got pool chemicals, both workers wearing masks when I walked in, one went off to the corner and slipped his down and was texting on his phone, the lady tucked back in the office taking money, no mask but except for the hole you slip your money thru, I'd say pretty isolated. Pet store to get a tick color, all three people wearing masks when I walked in. Down Melgar, police had a large group of tourists up on the benches passing out masks, bunches of people waiting on snorkeling boats, most had masks on. Off to the Villa, one maid and the maintenance worker both wearing masks, the boss lady wasn't. Off to Pakmail - the wife sitting in front wearing a mask, the husband who speaks better english puts his mask on before coming up to help me. The 6 scooter rental companies right there around pakmail, everyone wearing masks - entire families or groups waiting for their scooters, 50% of them not wearing masks. Off to Aldora, park at the hospital, security guard comes out putting his mask on. In the office, divers are back, most wearing masks, one lady sitting outside isn't but she's outside by herself - all the staff was wearing a mask, talked with Memo for 15 minutes, he wore his mask the whole time, Liang has left quite the mark on him. Down to Mega, all the taxi drivers sitting around with their masks mostly on - everyone in the store with the on. Chedraui virtually the same thing, scooter watchers had their masks on. Oxxo, people getting off scooters putting masks on to go into the store - girl opening the door for you, wearing a mask. Stopped by the house of love to chat with the chicas, they weren't wearing masks.........

I heard that the police had a check point on Aerpuerto Blvd saying that even single drivers in cars must wear masks - that's been the rule but if you had a mask visible, they never have said anything to me. I only wear a mask when around other people and on the scooter only when I'm downtown or in lots of traffic.

What I have heard is from friends from the US that our standards are way more strict than back home. I can't speak to it, our rules more or less follow common sense. Yep, you'll see locals without masks when they are away from other folks. What most folks here object to is the large groups of tourists congregating, conducting business, walking into businesses or basically being too close to others with no regard to mask wearing - when you see a group of ten and not a mask around the neck or dangling out of a pocket. You do not see anything like that at all from local folks - sure, four of us might be sitting at a table having a beer, but you'll see four masks sitting there too.

Back
Top Bottom