Cozumel Airport Security WARNING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice link Moss. The US State Dept site says only one camera. Good to see the first two are legal. I guess I should declare my third one to be safe. Glad to see they allow three speedboats. :confused:

I would go to another dive friendly locale... Caymans, Bahamas etc.. where the locals and security are are less likely to be on the take, corrupt, or just plain looking for something to do.

I've been bouncing around the idea of how to get a bicycle to CZM! I'd love to have my mountain bike there!

The bicycle carry case dimensions I've seen are over sized for a checked bag, even though they would be less than 50lbs. I also read somewhere that bicycles are for some reason not allowed in luggage. I have no idea what that's all about.
BicyclesContinental Airlines accepts a non-motorized bicycle with single seat or up to two non-motorized bicycles packed in one case as checked baggage. The following are bicycle restrictions:
If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is over 50 lbs (23kg) and/or 62 (157 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $100 service charge applies each way for domestic travel, and $200 each way for international travel. The service charge is in addition to any excess baggage charges that may apply, but first and second baggage service fees do not apply. Bicycle equipment over 70lbs (32 kg) will not be accepted as checked baggage.
If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is under 50 lbs (23kg) and 62 (157 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge, but, if applicable, the first or second bag fee applies.
Handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed or
  • All loose items must be enclosed in plastic foam or similar protective material or
  • Bicycle should be transported in a sealed box. If a box is needed, see the Courtesy Bags section of this site.
  • Continental is not liable for damage to bicycles that do not have the handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed, handlebars and pedals encased in plastic foam or similar material or bicycles not contained in a cardboard containers or hard-sided cases.
Note: Bicycles will not be accepted during an excess baggage embargo when no excess baggage is allowed.

I've been bouncing around the idea of how to get a bicycle to CZM! I'd love to have my mountain bike there!

The bicycle carry case dimensions I've seen are over sized for a checked bag, even though they would be less than 50lbs. I also read somewhere that bicycles are for some reason not allowed in luggage. I have no idea what that's all about.

What kind of bikes did you bring? Were they the little folding ones or something?

We flew Continental, so I went to the counter at the airport & purchased one of their bike boxes ahead of time. They are $25 & there is a flat fee of $200 for shipping to Mexico. Weight has to be under 70lbs. The two bikes I bought were both aluminum cruisers & was able to get both in the one box. When I checked in the morning of the flight, I was prepared to pay $200, but they only charged $100. They also tell you to seal the box, but when I got there, TSA had to open it......luckily they were equipped with packing tape. I had searched Coz the last three times there to find a decent bike that wouldn't rust out quickly or that was under $200 & couldn't find one. Paid just under $200 at Walmart for both, so I still came out ahead & got what I wanted.

Mike

Attachments

• bikes.jpg
    bikes.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 208
on the plus side, there was no inspection at the gate right before walking out to the plane.

On our return flight they were randomly searching people at the gate. I didn't get picked. In addition to thorough bag searches, they were having people remove shoes and sandals and then examining them, including flexing the shoes and sandals, checking I suppose for things concealed within them?...Maybe to be sure no one was smuggling batteries in the soles of their flip-flops.

Mike/budaman: DH and I were on the same flight home with Connie. Had we known she was in town we could have met for dinner. Maybe next time...this trip was drop everything and go. We do not have anything planned for the future...yet, but will touch base with you.

mossman: thanks for the info. I can understand the third degree treatment from the customs agent had we had a bunch of new things with us. However, the only thing he questioned was this small container of batteries. In fact, the obvious BRAND new items, worth $40.00 USD, new price tags, packed in another case , were overlooked entirely.

jd950 and mossman: yes, change things up and challenge the MO in order to disrupt patterns...this is fine. Oh well, Overall, I am willing to comply to whatever I need to do... shoe inspections, body groping and making sure my 3 -3 oz liquid items I take are properly stored in an official quart sized zip lock bag.

I would go to another dive friendly locale... Caymans, Bahamas etc.. where the locals and security are are less likely to be on the take, corrupt, or just plain looking for something to do.
And spend twice the money on a lesser diving experience over a minor 5 minute hassle at the airport? Nah, not me. Forewarned is forearmed; I just don't try to get stuff through their checkpoints which is likely to be problematic. I have lost a couple of minor items at the security check over the years, but nothing worth canceling a vacation over.

Please understand that I am not calling you a liar or anything, but yours is the first and only story even remotely like it I have ever heard, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what they could have possibly done to you if you hadn't been able to produce your used up batteries. Is it possible you misunderstood them? Tons of batteries get used and disposed of everywhere, all the time, including on Cozumel, by locals and visitors alike. Why in the world would an airport official demand that you take all your batteries home with you, especially since they are actively REMOVING them from the possession of travelers leaving the country? It makes no sense to me.

If it really did happen as you say, then I can only think that it was a case where an official did not understand his job. I seriously doubt that it will ever happen again.

Gordon, there is no lying or misunderstanding involved in what I reported.....this happened a number of years ago and was so 'wierd' to me I distinctly remember it despite the passage of time. They examined my dive lights and asked me to show them where my batteries were, as the lights were obviously empty (they picked up my UK Light Cannon which is much lighter empty than full) We didn't have much of a conversation, so I'm making an educated guess about my 'abandoning toxic waste in Mexico' theory. I'm not completely stupid, but when I saw my 'empty' lights were becoming an issue, I kinda put two-and-two together, I zipped open a small reg bag I was using for spare parts, pulled out my clear baggie with batteries stowed inside, and they were immediately satisfied and zipped my dive bag up and sent me on my way so what I reported DEFINITELY happened !

Gordon, there is no lying or misunderstanding involved in what I reported.....this happened a number of years ago and was so 'wierd' to me I distinctly remember it despite the passage of time. They examined my dive lights and asked me to show them where my batteries were, as the lights were obviously empty (they picked up my UK Light Cannon which is much lighter empty than full) We didn't have much of a conversation, so I'm making an educated guess about my 'abandoning toxic waste in Mexico' theory. I'm not completely stupid, but when I saw my 'empty' lights were becoming an issue, I kinda put two-and-two together, I zipped open a small reg bag I was using for spare parts, pulled out my clear baggie with batteries stowed inside, and they were immediately satisfied and zipped my dive bag up and sent me on my way so what I reported DEFINITELY happened !
Well, like I said, I wouldn't worry too much about it happening again. I do wonder what would have happened if you wouldn't have had any batteries. I leave with empty lights every time I go to Cozumel. If it happens to me I guess I'll find out. :D

Back
Top Bottom