Cozumel Airport Security WARNING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As Ben Franklin said, "those who trade freedom for security neither have nor deserve either". As we give various law enforcement organizations power over us in the name of false security, we give up more than just batteries.
Assuming we agree with you, what do you suggest we do about it, specifically if you are in the airport trying to get on a plane? Flying is a hassle, 'tis true, but it seems to me that your only alternative to putting up with it is to not fly. As to fixing it with the vote, we can't seem to get together to correct much larger issues than this, so I am not optimistic.

I too lost my scuba tool at Coz security checkpoint. It seemed that they feared the copper O ring pick could be used to overwhelm the flight crew. I refused to surrender the tool to the gate agent, and found an airline counter girl who's husband was a diver, and gave it to her instead.

I may have lost it, but I was not about to let the security guy profit from the loss.

A scuba tool should not be able to make it through any airport security. It is little different from a knife in terms of weapon potential. I'm not sure why anyone would expect to carry that aboard.

What I don't yet understand is if this is an indication of stepped up and not necessarily rational security procedures or if this is just a relatively isolated incident. I would expect to see more reports if this is to become the norm.

I did not actually intend the tool to be in the carry on, but I opened it to show it had no blades, or dangerous implements, beyond the soft copper O ring pick, which would bend if used to try stabbing anything with it.
Really, it was about as useless as a weapon as one could ask. And with my M/A training, there are lots of other things I could use to overpower or even kill, that ARE allowed on the plane, IF that was my intent. :idk:

I did not actually intend the tool to be in the carry on, but I opened it to show it had no blades, or dangerous implements, beyond the soft copper O ring pick, which would bend if used to try stabbing anything with it.
Really, it was about as useless as a weapon as one could ask. And with my M/A training, there are lots of other things I could use to overpower or even kill, that ARE allowed on the plane, IF that was my intent. :idk:

tooth brush, comb, rolled newspaper, belt, just a few things that I've trained with to stop people with, very effective with them.

I was in Cozumel in mid April. Upon leaving, I had approximately 30 batteries of different types: NIMH, Lithium Ion, and alkaline. Some were in the devices: cellphone,camera. Some were loose, but carried in a pocket in my camera bag in a way they couldnt short circuit, and the rechargeables I carried in my chargers inside either my camera bag or in small pelican cases in checked baggage. I had no hassles at the airport and the only thing they confiscated was an "oversize" tube of toothpaste and deodorant. Maybe I was just lucky, or maybe they had an 88 year old woman that diverted their attention while I sneaked that contraband through.

Gee Boys and Girls, I was just having my morning coffee and watching the morning news when a report came on that a TSA agent in Florida was just busted for stealing over $50,000.00 of electronic equipment out of your checked bags over just a 6 month period. The loot consisted of expensive iPads, Computers, Cameras, etc., then taking a photo of the stolen loot using his iPhone and selling it on Craigslist before his shift was even over.. all while we were stripping down, getting molested and being shaken down by his cohorts who were confiscating our shampoo and nail clippers. I've heard this same sad story many times over and it never changes.

Don't you just love your government..:idk:

Last edited:
We fly into Mexico in a few weeks, so I hope it's not as bad then as it seems to have become. We're going in through Cancun this time to make the trip to Holbox for the whalesharks. My husband and I are coming in with a friend and his wife in a private plane, so not sure if that will be better or worse than doing Customs from a commercial flight.

We were in Cozumel in April 2011 in a private plane. We had no problems leaving with our batteries intact (they never looked for them), but we did have problems arriving. We were held at Customs because we had too much dive gear. My wife and I are both technical divers, I've got the underwater camera and a laptop, plus our baggage. They wanted to hold our excess baggage until the next day when we could contract with an import agent to pay hundreds of dollars worth of duty; for some of the items it was twice what they items cost! My wife wanted to just turn around and leave, but we ended up leaving the "excess" at customs and were able to retrieve it when we left. The whole process took over three hours.

We normally made 3-4 trips to Cozumel per year, bringing four other divers with us. Since we're not allowed *in* with our dive gear, it will be a long time before we decide to go back. The additional flying time to Roatan or Belize is negligible.

As Ben Franklin said, "those who trade freedom for security neither have nor deserve either". As we give various law enforcement organizations power over us in the name of false security, we give up more than just batteries.
I'm curious what airlines Ben Franklin flew on and how he liked the diving in Cozumel.

In the meantime, we are all perfectly free to avoid air travel and therefore avoid TSA. We are also all perfectly free (Americans, at least) to avoid Mexico and therefore avoid Mexican airport security. Those, however, who trade freedom for security can enjoy some great diving. If BF had been a diver, he would have understood that concept and inserted a caveat.

Leejnd:

It's Mexico. There is no way to tell what they will do from day to day. With that in mind and based on what I experienced, I would check any batteries that are not lithium in my luggage and I would carry on items that use lithium batteries and have the batteries installed in those things. The ASUR people didn't seem to care about batteries that were installed. Some manufacturers warn against leaving batteries in gear when not in use due to potential damage to the contacts, or for other reasons. There is also the risk of damage to some items if they were inadvertently powered up in transit. I might just take the batteries out after you pass through security.

Any extra lithium batteries would be a problem. If in luggage you could run into problems in the U.S., and if in a carry-on, ASUR is likely to take them. I think you have to pick which risk you are willing to take. If you carry them on, consider trying to disguise them by putting them in some sort of pouch or something and don't pack them with the gear that uses batteries...try putting them in a different bag or something. If you have something you are carrying on that doesn't look like a gear bag, camera case, etc., consider putting a battery in there...I know it seems odd, but they might miss it if they are working the gear bags real hard at that particular time.

I would also try to find a Spanish language copy of the ASUR regs that allow batteries and print that out and have it with you in case you run into problems.

I think you should be sure to carry the batteries safely, so they cannot short in your bags, but that was of absolutely no concern to ASUR, they simply wanted the batteries. How safely the batteries are packed in a carry on is totally irrelevant.

Good luck.

P.S. Don't try to conceal anything in your flip-flops, they were examining those pretty carefully. On the other hand, if you were to bury a battery in the middle of a brick of cocaine, they would probably never catch it
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom