Cozumel Airport Security WARNING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would check any batteries that are not lithium in my luggage
Why not lithium? :confused:

From TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices
As of January 1, 2008, the Department of Transportation (DOT) through the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) no longer allows loose lithium batteries in checked baggage.
Pack them safely and check them.

Gee Boys and Girls, I was just having my morning coffee and watching the morning news when a report came on that a TSA agent in Florida was just busted for stealing over $50,000.00 of electronic equipment out of your checked bags over just a 6 month period. The loot consisted of expensive iPads, Computers, Cameras, etc., then taking a photo of the stolen loot using his iPhone and selling it on Craigslist before his shift was even over.. all while we were stripping down, getting molested and being shaken down by his cohorts who were confiscating our shampoo and nail clippers. I've heard this same sad story many times over and it never changes.

Don't you just love your government..:idk:

So, a TSA agent was caught stealing so the rest of them must also be thieves!!!!

You are from Arizona? You know, a crazy guy out there shot a congresswoman....

You are from Arizona? You know, a crazy guy out there shot a congresswoman....

Seems I remember something similar happening at the Grassy Knoll.. oh wait, that was a President and a Congressman !!

And I believe there was a massacre at the Texas University Bell Tower, 16 killed and 32 wounded !!

I just reported a true news story, and your point is..:idk:

I do watch my things carefully going thru screening, more worried about other passengers picking up my stuff. I empty my pockets into my backpack, then hold up all my stuff on the belt until it is time for me to walk thru so I can watch it enter and leave the machine.

Why not lithium? Pack them safely and check them.

I am not sure what loose means in this context. One website I saw defined "loose" as "uninstalled." I guess I would try to err on the side of caution and not pack lithium batteries if I could avoid it. If I had to pack them then I would try to do so safely, such as in a plastic battery container, and argue they weren't loose, if the issue arose.

I don't know why this all has to be so hard. I know of NO regulations that limit batteries in carry on bags and have traveled this way for years. I cannot figure out any legitimate basis for ASUR guards to be doing this...is it just for the sake of screwing with us? Cozumel and Cancun have more than a passing interest in tourism and I just cannot figure out why they would want to make this tougher than it needs to be.

A big part of my issue was the treatment of my gear (lenses, ports, etc) and the general demeanor of the ASUR folks. Unless there is a change, when I go back to Coz I will use disposable batteries as much as possible and throw them in the trash when I have used them. The cost to me won't be much more than using rechargeables, and far less than having rechargeable batteries taken from me. I will feel bad about putting all that nickel, cadmium, lithium and whatever else into some landfill, but I guess that is what they want.

I will then check or conceal the rechargeables that I need to take with me.

The more I think about this, I find it interesting that when you get to the airport they have a list of prohibited carry-on items that does not include batteries and only after your luggage is checked and inaccessible does airport security say no batteries allowed. Also, when they seize them, they go in a special battery tub...not in the trash with forbidden liquids and such.

Seems I remember something similar happening at the Grassy Knoll.. oh wait, that was a President and a Congressman !!

And I believe there was a massacre at the Texas University Bell Tower, 16 killed and 32 wounded !!

Don't blame a few crazies on the government. I do love my government - don't much care for politicians but appreciate our government.

I had no problem letting them rummage through my bags in Coz. Go for it... have fun. Nothing taken. Nothing questioned.

Back in the good old USA, I took issue with TSA frisking down this poor nun who was on our returning flight through IAH. My friends were petrified that I would somehow be detained in TX for taking the pictures. No such luck. I was hoping to stay for some BBQ brisket.

JP296537.jpgJP296541.jpg

I think his point is that it was a rogue airport employee who was ripping people off, not the government.

My nephew stood in the giant immigration hall in Dallas I think under the giant sign that says you will be drawn and quartered for taking pictures and..... wait for it..... took a picture. There was no one around but the one agent watching him taking the picture. He gave him a dirty look and he deleted it.

Back
Top Bottom