COZUMEL & CENOTES - help with where to stay!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FairyBasset

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to Cozumel for 5 nights, 5th - 10th November and would like some help deciding where to stay, as I have never been to Coz before.

About me and what I want out of a dive vacation:

* competent diver, enjoy deep, drifts, wrecks etc
* want to dive as much as possible during my stay
* want a smaller hotel, doesn't have to have dive shop on site, but open for either.
* traveling alone - so need single accommodation
* not really interested in an all inclusive resort package - more than happy to wander into town for dinner and drinks
* don't want to be right next to where all the cruise ships come in, if possible
* would be great if there was a beach at the hotel

I've done a little research, and these are the places I have looked and seem appropriate so far:
* Scuba Club Cozumel (downside being it is AI)
* Blue Angel
* Safari Inn
* Casa del mar
(Looked at Hotel Cozumel but it looks a bit too big for my taste)

I'm sure they all have their pluses and minuses, so your thoughts and opinions are most welcome.

CENOTES
I have to be in Tulum by early evening on 10.11.
I would like to dive one of the Cenotes.
Which are the nicest Cenotes to dive - near PDC or near Tulum?
Or are there good ones in both locations?

Here is my quandary...
Should I leave Coz on Fri eve, stay the night in PDC and dive one of the Cenotes near PDC on Sat and then make my way to Tulum?
Or should I leave Coz on Sat to dive the Cenotes close to PDC, and then travel to Tulum?
Or alternatively, leave Coz on Sat, go straight to Tulum and the dive the Cenotes near Tulum?

Again, your thoughts and opinions are most welcome.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Just to clarify that SCC is not an AI. All rooms come with the breakfast and then you can choose meal plans to include just lunch or lunch & dinner.

Sounds like you would love blue angel. Unlimited shore diving and a great little hotel.

Thanks all!
What would I do with all my luggage whilst am diving the Cenote though?!

hi
if it was me i would spend the night in pdc as the trips to cenotes would leave the dive shop in the a.m.
i am sure you could leave your luggage at the shop while diving.

i would not suggest casa del mar if you want to eat elsewhere as there are very limited options around that hotel compared to downtown.

there a lot of cool cenotes to dive. probably best to check with the shop you are using to see where they prefer/suggest to go. i really liked chac mool.

i stayed at hacienda del caribe in pdc. it is an easy walk to/from the ferry. it is right behind the ADO bus terminal. and it is walking distance to a bunch of dive ops. i have used Tank Ha a couple of times. manny is the man to contact there. info@tankha.com

Have you looked at Aldora? The Villa is a lovely place to stay, an easy walk into town for meals, but far enough out to be very quiet. The dive op picks up at the Villa as long as the weather permits it. There isn't a beach, but there is a lovely patio and palapa to sit outside, and a little sea wall that makes a great shallow shore dive. We were EXTREMELY happy with Aldora as an operation for an experienced diver.

For your cenote diving, I would suggest hiring a guide who will pick you up in PDC, and deliver you to Tulum at the end of the day. Your luggage can stay in the guide's car. For my money, the best "tourist" cenotes begin at Puerto Aventuras (about 20 minutes south of PDC) and stretch to Tulum. Dos Ojos and Grand Cenote are two of my favorites -- I often swim the cavern line in Grand to end a cave dive, just because it's so pretty. If you would like suggestions for a guide, feel free to PM me.

If you book your Cenote dives with the folks at Villas DeRosa in Aventuras Akumal I am sure they will keep your luggage safe while you dive. Stay there for a night if it fits your plan. Great place, great food, great DM's.

Ok, guys, I have now reserved the Blue Angel from 5.11 - 10.11.
I got a fab package for hotel, incl food and diving for 500,61 USD.
Couldn't do better than that really, so that made my mind up.
Of course all the posts in SB made that clear!
I clearly hit really low season price wise.

I will now have a think about how to deal with my Cenotes diving wishes separately!
What I didn't add into my thoughts was lugging around wet dive gear that day...
Never a great thing!

Thanks for your help!

My recommendation would be to hop on the 8:00 am ferry to PDC on Saturday morning. Travel south to Tulum and drop your luggage off prior to diving. Then do 2 dives in the Tulum area. They are all good! OR if you were to dive at Dos Ojos or Chac Mool, I would have no problem leaving my luggage in the truck. Donthebdives and then have the op drop you off in Tulum at your hotel.

Enjoy your dives, Dennis

Back
Top Bottom