• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by WetInPortland, Mar 31, 2020.

1. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I had to argue with a clerk in a DOCTOR'S OFFICE today about being unmasked. She said she was wearing one; it was on one year. I asked why is it not covering your nose? I'm thinking why am I protecting her from my possible illness when she doesn't bother? She finally covered up.

So does that mean we need six months or not?

2. ReefHound

ReefHound PADI Pro

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I think it means the only way to ensure you get on the plane and admitted into the country is to have six months left. If the airline won't let you on the plane, you won't even get to see a Mexican immigration officer.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  3. ReadyDiverOne

ReadyDiverOne ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

Re passport expiry, many (if not most) countries will not permit entry if your passport will expire within 6 months thereof, so like the earlier poster said, given state of affairs, good idea to check expiry date ASAP.

4. jlyle

jlyle Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    DandyDon likes this.
  5. DandyDon

Except that Mexico is not listed there or any other site I can find. This site claims three months for Mexico and Canada. 6 Months Validity Passport Rule: What You Need to Know - YoGov

I'm getting the idea that the results may vary with airline and Mexican Immigration agents. I'm thinking play it safe and renew now as it may take several months.

6. Sallygirl

Sallygirl Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Thanks to each of you for your thoughts. I will begin researching regulators.

ChuckP likes this.
  7. jlyle

jlyle Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    You're right. Not sure why Mexico isn't listed on the first site. Here's another, more official, site: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2017-Dec/Six-Month Club Update122017.pdf

8. DandyDon

9. nwflyboy

nwflyboy Barracuda

If it were me, I'd drop everything else and get going on the passport renewal, today, before you do anything else. It's the most time-critcal task you have - buying a regulator doesn't take months. Getting you passport renewed probably will.

US passport agencies literally shut down for months due to covid, and only some began limited (probably very limited) work again in recent weeks. Every passport that was in the pipeline back in March when they stopped work has been sitting since then, and every passport that was sent in since March has been added to the pile. They're still operating with a fraction of their normal staff, and have a backlog like they've never seen before. It could easily take many months to get a renewal.

My wife's passport expires in this December. We are not going to travel internationally until September 2021 at the earliest -- personally, that's my best and most opimistic guess for covid to be behind us (and yes, I'd love to go to Cozumel right now, but don't believe it's ethical to do that during an uncontrolled pandemic). We have almost 12 months before we need that renewed passport, and I don't feel like we have a lot of time to waste.

Suggest you get going on that passport muy, muy pronto.

10. RayfromTX

RayfromTX Student Of Gas Mixology Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

I travelled to Mexico in March on a passport that expired in July. They didn't even mention it.

Snoweman and DandyDon like this.