Cozumel Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sam.gillin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am traveling to Cozumel for a week of diving with 3P with my girlfriend in late May. She is ow cert with about 15 dives and I am aow with about 30 dives so we are fairly new divers. I know a lot of the dive sites are new-Diver friendly but I am curious if there are any must see sites that may be beyond the limits of an ow cert? Any input is appreciated! Also favorite dive sites would be appreciated- I have done quite a bit of research scouring the internet but would love more opinions.

Outside of some rather fun currents, all dive sights are within your abilities...enjoy.

Baracuda and Devil’s throat are the two well known dive sites that are not recommended for beginners. 3P’s as a rule does not do Baracuda (unpredicable currents) and in my experience only does DT (swimthrough to roughly 130 feet) if its a group of experienced divers that request it. As newish divers just stick with the guide. Julio and Edgar are both great with beginners. Julio is especially good at spotting the macro critters.

Make sure you carry an SMB and hopefully know how to use it, at least to inflate on the surface should you need to. 3P’s does not ascend as a group but the guide will inflate a bag for your ascent if needed. On the surface, if the boat’s not right there (though it probably will be) you can then inflate a small surface SMB, no skill required.

Awesome thanks guys! Yea DT was the main site that I was curious about. I was also reading on another post that a lot of people don’t really enjoy that dive due to it being short because of the depth.

Just be straight with the DM's about your experience. 3P's Dive OPs will recognize your diving ability and take you to appropriate dive sites, or more importantly NOT take you to certain sites (like Devils Throat, up north, etc.). Don't get hung up on a 'favorite' dive site, they are all good and your opinion on the favorite site may change every dive.

DT is a waste of a dive to me. Too much time wasted getting organized to enter, waiting for everyone to exit & there's nothing important to see in the tunnel. That said Tres P isn't likely to offer it unless things were ideal anyway. With so many interesting dive sites you'll have a lot to see as you gain experience. Have fun, & enjoy the trip.

That’s a good call on carrying an smb especially for drift diving. Also very true that “favorite” dive sites probably depends on the day. Thanks all for the input. Hopefully we run into some Scubaboard people while we’re there!

That’s a good call on carrying an smb especially for drift diving. Also very true that “favorite” dive sites probably depends on the day. Thanks all for the input. Hopefully we run into some Scubaboard people while we’re there!
May 2019 roll call ...

3P's will ask everyone on the boat, "Any preferences for where to dive today?" Most ask for the Palancar's (Brick, Caves, Horseshoe etc) or even Paradise Reef for an easy shallow dive. Don't sweat not having an SMB...although you really should! It's good practice to launch the SMB at your SS to get the hang of buoyancy control at shallower depths. A lot of newer divers on my 3P dives this month did not have SMB's. The DM's are very attentive and they will launch their own if you surface first. The 2 Shark boats (Skinny & Loan) are always nearby along with what seems like a zillion other dive op boats. If you do get separated, any of the other boats will radio the 3P boat to come get you.

Enjoy your dives!

+1 on having a DSMB and having practiced deploying it under controlled conditions. Often the current varies quite a bit with depth. As in, someone 10' above their buddy can drift a lot faster than the buddy and end up separated and have to surface alone. Shouldn't happen, but it does. The DSMB launched from the safety stop or deeper helps your boat find you and may keep other boats from running you over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom