Cozumel in August 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be staying at the Villa Blanca and a question came to mind. they do not have room safes but they do have some secure storage at the front desk. Should I leave my laptop in the room? I gather that Cozumel has very little crime and the folks at Villa Blanca have been great - I just havn't had any experience in Coz. They said I was welcome to leave it with them up front but I just don't know if I need to be that "paranoid". I will be solo and I plan on walking into town several times for dinner. I assume it will be safer than most big cities. Is that a good assumption? Thanks

Arrive on 6th, leave 10th.

Does anyone by chance know what the taxi should cost from the Airport to Fiesta Americana?
Hi, it will be approx. 150 to 200pesos, or 15 to 20us. Say to your driver, 'how much?' first. kev

I will be staying at the Villa Blanca and a question came to mind. they do not have room safes but they do have some secure storage at the front desk. Should I leave my laptop in the room? I gather that Cozumel has very little crime and the folks at Villa Blanca have been great - I just havn't had any experience in Coz. They said I was welcome to leave it with them up front but I just don't know if I need to be that "paranoid". I will be solo and I plan on walking into town several times for dinner. I assume it will be safer than most big cities. Is that a good assumption? Thanks
Hi farsidefan1-I left a lot of expensive equipment in my room at the villa. Came home with it all. I think it would be prudent not to leave jewelry and money out. You know the temptation thing. I didnt and all was good. For the most part the service staff on Coz are usually very good.
The walk to town is about two miles. It is very safe on Cozumel for walking even at night. Again use common sense. The waterfront walkway is lit but I have seen some people with small flashlights at night. The cab ride is fifty pesos usually. I just simply say to the drivers, fifty pesos to Villa Blanca amigo, every time they take it. La hach across from the villa has some good food for the nights you are lazy. lol. Great view upstairs. Ask for the fried habenero chilis on your burger, youll get a buzz. hahah. There whole menu was good. I hope you have too much fun. kev

I've always left my laptop in my room at Blue Angel. Well, I do now have it insured along with my cameras, but I did before that too. State Farm's "Personal Articles Policy" will cover almost anything - cheap rates, no deductible, the best camera insurance you can get.

I walked from Blue Angel to Villa Blanca once looking for a cafe, missed the one across the street as I thot there was one at VB and didn't look that way, then ended up eating at an expensive dinner club at VB. Now BA has great dinners - yay! For $14 and traveling alone, it beats the taxi to/from town for us who hate walking a mile.
Hi, it will be approx. 150 to 200pesos, or 15 to 20us. Say to your driver, 'how much?' first. kev
Can-Do Maps shows 100 Pesos from FA to town, altho I have found them mistaken on the airport van fares - and they were very embarrassed. Current exchange rate is 13 Peso to the Dollar. I think $8 should get it? Always discuss it thru the window getting in works best for me, and I like to negotiate: "Howdy Amigo! Hey would you take me to town for $6?" Often works.

Oh, Can-Do shows 70 Pesos from Villa Blanca to town, about $5.40. It does help to carry a small calculator or use the one on your cell phone when dealing, and keep small bills handy to avoid making change. "Howdy Amigo! Hey would you take me to town for $3?"

US Dollars are so common that most will accept them, but may charge 10 to 1 rather than 13 to 1 so Pesos from an ATM can reduce losses - if it doesn't get too complicated and you don't go home with 200 of them like I did once - right before the Peso dropped from 9:1 to 13:1! I suspect Canadian dollars would be a challenge.

BTW, there is only one cab/van company, well unionized, and they're the only ones I usually don't tip. Already well paid.

Last edited:
Decided to do something spontaneous and as a result I am headed to Cozumel for the weekend! Diving with Aqua Safari and staying at Safari Inn. Would be up to meet some other scubaboarders for drinks/food maybe Saturday or Sunday.

Dallas to Coz suddenly for a weekend is spontaneous. From Boston - adventurous! I bet your friends both envy you and think you crazy. Have a great weekend...!

Dallas to Coz suddenly for a weekend is spontaneous. From Boston - adventurous! I bet your friends both envy you and think you crazy. Have a great weekend...!

You guys in Dallas are lucky. I came down in May for a weekend too and I got that same response. Not a bad flight. Sadly can't do a lot of diving but just being in Cozumel makes it worthwhile. My friends do think I am crazy though. Third trip to Cozumel in 4 months.

You guys in Dallas are lucky. I came down in May for a weekend too and I got that same response. Not a bad flight. Sadly can't do a lot of diving but just being in Cozumel makes it worthwhile. My friends do think I am crazy though. Third trip to Cozumel in 4 months.
I fly out of Lubbock actually, probly often paying more than you. Not enough dive days before the 18 hour clock to fly huh?

Thanks for the info. I'll trust them. I've generally had very good experiences in Mexico. I traveled all over Central America and Mexico looking at ruins when I was in college. Had a great experience where Playa is now. We wanted to go to Coz to spend the night. We were too late and the last ferry had left. We were in an old VW bus so we just broke out the camp gear and set up shop for the night. Terry the group leader (he was a bit older than the rest of us) had to answer mother natures call. He had his back to a tree taking care of business when we heard a loud THUMP in the night. Suddenly lights were blazing - the ferry had returned from Coz and was unloading. Terry was right on the path of perhaps 100 travelers. Pants down, frozen, feeling horrible, business unfinished. Us? I still laugh till I cry whenever I think of it.

How about August. About 8 of us are going to be in Cozumel the first week in August. We are diving with Blue Angel and Staying at Villas Las Anclas. Who else will be there in August?

Wife and I are very glad to meet you and would like to appreciate for your friendship. All member of your group are wonderful people. See you in Coz and SB again! Thank you so much.

okiraku@Cozumel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom