Cozumel in January 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tailspin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Didn't see a thread for next January so here goes.

I'll be making my first diving trip to Coz Jan 16-23, 2010. Been there off a cruise ship once, but didn't do any diving. I've never done any drift diving at all so this will be a new experience, and I'm excited to learn how it's done.

Staying at the Iberostar (found a great rate including direct flights from MPS) and decided since this is my first time diving Coz I would use Dressel Divers which is attached to the resort. I know from this forum that there are a ton of quality dive ops who would pick me up from the IB dock, but I think I am more comfortable going this way my first time, plus I didn't find much negativity regarding Dressel on the board.

I'm signed up with four two-tank boat dives and a single tank night dive. I also signed up for a two-tank Cenotes excursion. I'm really pumped about that, and coupled with all the tourist stuff I'll be 'forced' to do with my non-diving wife, my week should be pretty full.

I understand from the board that January could have some weather issues, but where I'm from we can literally have weeks where the high temperature for the week is below zero (F). So if the wind blows a bit in Coz, and the boats can't get out for a day or so, I'll be forced to sit around the pool consuming umbrella drinks in mass quantity :wink:.

You will be blown away by the diving, the drift diving is a lot of fun once you get used to it.

Didn't see a thread for next January so here goes.

I understand from the board that January could have some weather issues, but where I'm from we can literally have weeks where the high temperature for the week is below zero (F). So if the wind blows a bit in Coz, and the boats can't get out for a day or so, I'll be forced to sit around the pool consuming umbrella drinks in mass quantity :wink:.

Great attitude!! :balloons: And I'm with you on the weather thing too, coming from a place where we regularly hit -40C (without the windchill).

I'm in Coz now and it's just perfect. Be back Jan 15-20 and drift diving is the easiest kind of diving. Just find your buoyancy and let the current do the rest. No swimming back to an anchor line!
Daytime temps in Jan. will 70's to low 80 and nighttime 60-70. Water temps will be high 70's. The occasional north wind might cool temps and make for rough sea's. If diving is canceled rent a car and tour the island and other things.

Annual trek begins 7th thru 17th at Blue Angel - meeting up with 10 others doing the same thing all coming from various areas

I'm in....just planned it. Jan 6th - 14th...Hotel Cozumel. Not sure about the dive op yet, might wait a while to see how things go.

Mebbe if I am lucky enough. Might be Dominican Republic instead :(
Hopefully it will be Coz and I will get my AOW and introduce a couple of newbs to the sport of scuba.

Oh, I would be getting my AOW, they want to try the resort course.

Back
Top Bottom