Cozumel Incident 9/4/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simon-

Only if they were "performing research under the auspices and following the diving safety guidelines
of the American Academy of Underwater Scientists (AAUS)
", which they were not. This was not a research dive. The mentioned AAUS guidelines would only apply to research divers when following those protocols.

I read it as there were 2 criteria as regards cover. I didn't highlight the correct part. Apologies

Covered Dive means a recreational dive diving while a scuba instructor, dive master, underwater
photographer, or while performing research under the auspices and following the diving safety guidelines
of the American Academy of Underwater Scientists (AAUS). A dive begins upon entry into the water
and ends upon exit from the water. A Covered Dive must begin while Coverage is in force

Regardless of the wording of a policy, would my car insurance pay out if I was driving at night, lights off, wearing sunglasses, steering with my feet whilst driving at 100mph?

Why would a dive policy pay out for a dive like this? Unqualified, ill-prepared, beyond accepted limits, pathetic logistics, poorly planned, very poorly executed etc (and any other reason that an insurance company would use to relieve themselves of payment).

I am only playing devil's advocate here.

Why would a dive policy pay out for a dive like this? Unqualified, ill-prepared, beyond accepted limits, pathetic logistics, poorly planned, very poorly executed etc (and any other reason that an insurance company would use to relieve themselves of payment).

I get the DAN insurance that pays even if I go below 130'. In the main table on coverage, I did not see a limitation on depth.

Moot point - 2 of 3 did not have any kind of insurance -

But either way - cheaper insurance options for anything provide limited liability cover - be it car, medical or DAN - the more expensive options cover just about anything - if you crash your car while driving drunk - insurance still covers the damage

I get the DAN insurance that pays even if I go below 130'. In the main table on coverage, I did not see a limitation on depth.
The DAN North America middle and top plans both pay even if the dive plan is below 130 ft, which is not that rare for recreational divers. If you dive Belize, you will be offered a trip to do the Blue Hole even if you have a paper Cert card. They take anyone with a C-card and who knows.

More importantly, the middle plan is far superior to the cheapest plan in many ways, and only $10/year more. The cheapest plan is a real dog, but DAN says enough members still want it. :idk: I have the top plan just in case. Coincidentally, I am posting from an Emergency Room waiting room right now. You just never know. Nice that they offer free Wifi.

Tech and recreational diving don't mix in the same boat, period. Going back to everything said, this is just part of all the irresponsible planning of a dive by non certified tech divers and right now they are suffering the consequences. I was in Cozumel when this happened. There are still some issues prior to the dive that have not surfaced but they will.

I wonder when the "other issues prior to the dive" will surface???

I wonder when the "other issues prior to the dive" will surface???

This is posted in Mishaps and Analysis thread..........
the owner had 100 tank, ther other two 80s.

Heath had the 100, Opal and Gabi the 80's.

Congratulations on bringing just the facts. That week I was in Cozumel. An instructor friend of mine and also of the divers who visited them daily told me about a couple of issues that you did not mentioned, perhaps it is just speculation.

1- The divers were taking a video of their dive, do you know anything about that?
2- What were they doing prior to the dive? Has anyone informed you about it? I was told something but may be speculation.

Again, thanks for bringing the facts, it is really a sad case in diving history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom