Cozumel incident but lesson learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To those that feel it is all on the diver, what is the point in hiring a private DM?
A private DM should be able to show you is special about a dive site you otherwise don't know.

To those that feel it is all on the diver, what is the point in hiring a private DM?
I didn't see where anyone said it was all on the diver. But neither is it all on the DM.

I didn't see where anyone said it was all on the diver. But neither is it all on the DM.
Not following the dive plan. And disregard for LOA signals from the divers that hired him most definitely is on the DM. Then heading back down and taking the other divers air source! Unconscionable! Certainly extremely unprofessional.

This DM hired to make the dive safer was worse then an “instabuddy.”

How can someone blame ignorance..

I don’t think there should be any “blaming” involved. I mean, what’s the point? I’d take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Lesson learned to never use this DM again. Lesson learned to inform the friend that the DM was hazardous on OPs dive. Lesson learned to take care of oneself and one’s buddy/wife.

My take on what happened is the OP learned something they didn't know beforehand. Not all dive professionals are professional. Thet's not a mistake, its easy in hindsight to say what should have happened, but remember the OP has most likely been buddied with professional DMs/Instructors before.

It doesn't matter how experience we are this situation can happen. I was in the Philippines 2 years ago and the guide decided to push the dive to 35m when we had planned 30m max. The depth isn't an issue as I'm qualified to 50m and was dived up to 40m+, but the plan is the plan. he nearly lost his job when I told the operator I wouldn't dive with him again.

One never knows just how good a diver one is until they face and surpasse a stressful event. We on SB read alot about buoyancy and trim but it is the ability to handle stress that can make, or break, a diver.

It should not have happened but the op will be a better and more confident diver for it.

Last edited:
I believe in Cozumel it is required to dive with a DM in the National Park - you can be fined for diving without one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom