Cozumel is heading back to “normal”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sit near the front and other people's breath will blow the other way. The crew wore masks. Most all passengers wore masks when boarding and deboarding.

But what are we not hearing? We're not, or at least I'm not, hearing people report they got sick on a dive vacation and they think they were exposed on the boat. I see no evidence that it is causing an issue. Divers for the most part are healthy and active. There are exceptions, lots of them when talking about millions of cases, but the vast majority that suffer from covid are very old and unhealthy, with obesity a factor in 80% of serious cases.

Sit near the front and other people's breath will blow the other way. The crew wore masks. Most all passengers wore masks when boarding and deboarding.

But what are we not hearing? We're not, or at least I'm not, hearing people report they got sick on a dive vacation and they think they were exposed on the boat. I see no evidence that it is causing an issue. Divers for the most part are healthy and active. There are exceptions, lots of them when talking about millions of cases, but the vast majority that suffer from covid are very old and unhealthy, with obesity a factor in 80% of serious cases.

What we're not hearing, because no one knows, is whether someone gave it to someone on a boat or wherever, and then that person asymptomatically gave it to someone else who really did get sick, such as a local Cozumeleno. That's the whole concern--not becoming an unwitting link in the chain. I believe there is some evidence that the so-called "asymptomatic spreader" is not as likely as was feared earlier in the pandemic, but as far as I know there is no consensus about that yet.

the vast majority that suffer from covid are very old and unhealthy, with obesity a factor in 80% of serious cases.
That claim is not at all supported in published facts. It is more dangerous for the older and unhealthiest, but it has infected many across the population.

Like them or not Cozumel's economy is closely tied to the cruise industry.
It's an artificial business that has taken advantage of the island and the greed of the governing body. I'd love to see the island wean itself from it.

Cruises might just ignore US ports and depart/return to Cozumel (or another country).
That would kill a lot of the appeal.

So now it comes out--about the dive boats, that is. From some of the Coz threads over the past year I got the impression that at least mask-wearing and distancing were being adhered to, though I also recall someone saying that those adhering to these protocols are mostly locals. I haven't been on a dive boat in over a year--anywhere. Shore diving, I try to keep the reg in and dive mask on if making my way between strangers. I can't say for certain what I would do on a boat if after the first dive people got lax with the mask wearing. Would I succumb to the feeling of peer pressure or stick to my guns? I have been thinking about this more and more lately: Once my wife and I are fully vaccinated, and we find ourselves in, say, Coz, will we more easily let our mask down, so to speak? In other words, will we start caring less about the (apparently low) likelihood of transmitting it to others? I hope not, but I'm human.

You are on a boat in the open ocean with a breeze blowing - not some enclosed bathroom stall with six people in it.

So now it comes out--about the dive boats, that is. From some of the Coz threads over the past year I got the impression that at least mask-wearing and distancing were being adhered to...

@Lorenzoid , I can only speak to my personal experience...On my trips to Coz last year, the boats I was on were running with reduced loads and all the divers were following mask (or at least gator) protocols and/or were spaced waaay apart. Nobody was violating anyone's space. I was pretty impressed. My last visit was in November.

Divers for the most part are healthy and active. There are exceptions, lots of them when talking about millions of cases, but the vast majority that suffer from covid are very old and unhealthy, with obesity a factor in 80% of serious cases.

Can I inquire as to what utopian universe you dive?

Having dive experience all over the world, I have to take exception to your "divers are for the most part healthy" comment.

I've been on plenty of dive boats, including two decades of diving Cozumel, where this observation is arguable.

And then, is it your opinion that those who are old, unhealthy, and obese deserve to die?

Can I get you to contact my son, whose mother died due to COVID complications?

Or, better yet, let me give you the contact information for our across the street neighbor widow, so you can explain to her why she is now alone, versus being with her otherwise healthy husband?

Rationalize your own politically-driven hypocrisy all you want, but don't you dare espouse it as gospel or reality!

Back
Top Bottom