Cozumel is heading back to “normal”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see it differently regarding the locals. I am on island right now and yesterday we were way way back in San Miguel. Not another tourist in sight for many blocks, and without exception, nearly 100% of the locals were wearing masks. Again, not for optics for tourists sake, far away from any tourist area, almost 100% masking. I actually see less masking in the tourist areas by the locals, maybe because a good percentage of Americans don’t mask up while out and about.

I think everyone follows the PPE much more now than in Oct when we were here. The locals are strictly wearing masks in the ‘hood’ and in tourists areas, on mopeds and in their cars. That was not so much in October. I’ve “heard” that police are strictly enforcing masks on locals but I don’t know for sure.

I think everyone follows the PPE much more now than in Oct when we were here. The locals are strictly wearing masks in the ‘hood’ and in tourists areas, on mopeds and in their cars. That was not so much in October. I’ve “heard” that police are strictly enforcing masks on locals but I don’t know for sure.
Honestly, to me personally, it is kinda weird to see people on mopeds, on motorcycles, people all by themselves with no one around wearing masks. Shows me they are taking it seriously. Now the marina, that’s another story.

I think you were in a different Cozumel than I was in in February.
Way back in the hood, full masking going on. Around the marina and on the boats is a little less mask participation. I am ok with either.

Honestly, to me personally, it is kinda weird to see people on mopeds, on motorcycles, people all by themselves with no one around wearing masks. Shows me they are taking it seriously. Now the marina, that’s another story.

I’m with you on this. We had a group with several scooters not wearing masks while driving. I swear the cops would slow down and stare at us to see if we were locals or tourist. I believe (guessing) they would have pulled us over if we were locals w/o masks.

Way back in the hood, full masking going on. Around the marina and on the boats is a little less mask participation. I am ok with either.
The last few times I went to my barber, Bronson, on 90th Ave and calle 10 Y 12 (Jul, Oct & Dec) I would see very few masks. It was usually late afternoon and in the heat of the day. Remember the population has almost zero safety net and very expensive electricity past the subsidized 400KW / month so little AC. Most of the population seemed to be sitting in front of their homes sweltering without masks. I was very impressed with how well the social fabric remained intact under the very desperate economic conditions.

Honestly, to me personally, it is kinda weird to see people on mopeds, on motorcycles, people all by themselves with no one around wearing masks.
That is excessive.

...sitting on a patio drinking a margarita six feet from the next table, which the experts seem to say is safe...
Safe is a relative term. It's safer than being inside a crowded bar but not as safe as staying at home.

A little common sense goes a long way. Although I am vaccinated (Moderna, both shots, the second one three weeks ago), I still mask in public, but in my car with the windows rolled up, no.

A little common sense goes a long way. Although I am vaccinated (Moderna, both shots, the second one three weeks ago), I still mask in public, but in my car with the windows rolled up, no.
And with the windows rolled down?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom