COZUMEL: Need HELP! Where to stay? What to do, besides a lot of diving of course!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, or rather HOLA! I just joined this board and I have spent the last 4 hours gawking with jealousy at the descriptions of all these amazing trips.

My BF and I have a trip planned to Cozumel May 10-18. The BF recently got certified and is excited to join me in more underwater adventures. He also wants to golf a few rounds. I REALLY REALLY REALLY need some advice on where to stay. I know it depends on what and how much of it we will be doing. Being realistic we will probably go on at least 5-7 dives (maybe a night dive too?) and there has to be a little golf to keep my man happy- he needs some quality time with little white balls I guess. We figure to spend about $4000 USD for the both of us (less would be amazing), including airfare. We have done the all inclusive before (Sandals- MoBay) and liked it-- dove our little hearts out, but we aren't sure this is the way for us to go in Coz, please help. We do like our adult beverages and we will probably have one or two nights where we stay up past our bedtime and want to sleep in a little or drag ourselves out to the pool. We are early thirties and we do not necessarily need the hustle bustle of downtown, we are actually trying to get away from that for a bit (hometown: Manhattan), but we do like civilization and we are somewhat social. Any advice would be awesome!!!
-Heather
"Keep your head below water!"

You might look @ aldora.com & staying @ the villas, they are located not too far from Cozumel Country Club(for the golfing part)......good luck.....

Our favorite hotel was Allegro with an ocean view room (although it may be under renovation right now)? It is all-inclusive, very low key but right next to the water and Dive Paradise. We used to dive with a smaller operator, Scuba Shack, thinking the bigger ones were to "commercial" but since we found Dive Paradise we have changed our minds. We like Dive Paradise, they have bigger nice boats but it never feels like your diving with "the herd" they always break people up into smaller groups. If you haven't done a night dive I HIGHLY recommend it. If I had a choice of only diving once, diving during the day or at night, I would choose night. Be sure you have a small group though and go to a site with minimal current. Night diving is incredible!

Another Hotel we liked was Hotel Cozumel but it doesn't have a good beach or view of the ocean, but the pool is spectacular and for the money it was a good fit. Because everything there is all-inclusive and low key we stayed in swim wraps and flip flops for a week! No dressing up or actual "clothing" needed!

I hope you have an incredible time! If you want another thrill try diving the Cenotes on the mainland - it is quite an experience!

K
:coffee:

Since golf is important, it would be most convenient to stay in the northern hotel zone where you can be close to golf, diving and in-town restaurants & activities and still stay waterfront. There are plenty of options there -- AI & non-AI hotels, villas, condos. The Playa Azul Resort has an arrangement with the Cozumel Country Club and I believe that greens fees are included in their room rates -- something worth checking into. You may choose to use your hotel dive op or book independently with any other op you prefer.

It sounds like your requests are 1) diving, 2) excellent hotel/spa, 3) golf. You really have two options. The first is to stay at a hotel like Playa Azul that has golf privileges at the Cozumel Country Club. It would definately fit your bill. The problem with staying up north is that you will have to meet your dive op in town (unless you dive with the house dive op up there, and it will be a long boat ride back). You will have a nice hotel complete with a spa. You will have golf privileges, but you still have to pay for a cart. I think it is $20 a day, or so. Cozumel Country Club is very nice. The front 9 is pretty tame, but the back 9 is as challenging as you will play in a great golf destination.

Your second option is to stay at the Cozumel Palace. You can purchase a golf all inclusive package and play the courses on the mainland at Playacar and Cancun. There are a notch better than Coz Country Club, IMO. You will have ferries and such. But, if playing multiple rounds is your gig, you might get bored with the Coz Country Club. Coz Palace is all inclusive, including room service. If you go this route, PM me and I will refer you to a friend that can book you through her membership. It will definitely save you some money over rack rates, and you will get some spa privileges.

There are other options, but these are the two best, IMO. My wife and I love to play golf, and we will probably play on the mainland this year (although we haven't decided). I recommend you figure out how many days you want to devote to diving and golf, and then be prepared to be flexible in how you use those days if weather occurs.

The reason to go with a golf package is to avoid the high greens fees. Coz Country Club, I believe, is $190 or so a round, The Golf Club at Playacar is about the same, and the Golf Club at Moon Palace is $250 or so a round. It doesn't take long to make a dent with those rates.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi,
Cozumel is my favorite dive place in the world (have been to Caymans, Bonaire, Bahamas, DR, Hawaii, & Tonga) so I bought a beachfront condo (not a timeshare) that I rent out when I'm not there. It's on SanFrancisco Beach, near the Reef Club (now a Wyndham). Check out my website, WWW.COZUMELISPARADISE.COM and take a look. Get in touch with me if you are intertested.
Cheers!

You might try the website at diveparadisecozumel. There are a number of deals to go through. I stayed @ the Hotel Cozumel and out of not less than 15 trips to Mexico this is the first place for me to get the Motezuma's revenge and the boats were the slowest. Good Luck.

Sorry, I am new to this. You might try a website diveparadisecozumel. I stayed at the Hotel Cozumel and got the revenge. (first time in almost 20 trips to Mexico) The boats were the slowest. Good luck in finding a golf course on the island. You will probably have to take a ferry trip to the mainland and go to Cancun for a round. I suggest to leave the clubs for once and try the Mayan culture on the mainland. I am a golfer also, but there is too much to explore and you can play golf anywhere. Take a look at Tulum, Akumal, Chichen Itza. We love the Yucatan.

Sorry, I am new to this. You might try a website diveparadisecozumel. I stayed at the Hotel Cozumel and got the revenge. (first time in almost 20 trips to Mexico) The boats were the slowest. Good luck in finding a golf course on the island. You will probably have to take a ferry trip to the mainland and go to Cancun for a round. I suggest to leave the clubs for once and try the Mayan culture on the mainland. I am a golfer also, but there is too much to explore and you can play golf anywhere. Take a look at Tulum, Akumal, Chichen Itza. We love the Yucatan.

I would suggest on your next trip to CZM to head north & duck when you hear FORE.....BTW, I watched the LSU/ole mrs fb game under the palapa @ the Country Club the middle of November last year while we were there diving that week...

Do you like to play golf in Cozumel? Cozumel Country Club

Back
Top Bottom