Cozumel on the cheap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the recommendations here seem to be on AI resports.

Interesting, I don't recall that many people recommending AIs unless they are asked for. Most people seem to recommend staying in town.

Can't recommend a hostel, but Suites Bahia was quite inexpensive and include breakfast at a hotel a block away (plus a fridge and microwave which makes it easy to store food drinks and be able to heat food up). We chose to dive with Tres Pelicanos, a main reason was that they provide divers who stay in town a ride to the marina.

I am not so much ‘Buget minded’ but actually cheap or at least excessively frugal. I travel down often so I have to make my dive budget stretch, because of this I have jumped around to various places and when staying at a hotel I now use the Colonial. At around $40 and access to the breakfast buffet at Casa Mexicana I think this is the best deal I have been able to find, for about $55 the Bahia will get you a Balcony with a semi- ocean view. For diving I use Tres Pelicanos as they are not only a top rated great valet dive op but they also have some of the lowest prices around and I get 70+ minute dives with them. If you contact Jeanie at dive@trespelicanos.com I believe she can get you room prices and specials below the published rates.

For food in the afternoons there are various restaurants that do a Camida del Dia (SP?) AKA ‘Meal of the day’ for a complete meal with soup main dish and nonalcoholic drink for about $70 MEX (less than $5 USD) also Jeanie has a restaurant list that contains some really great budget minded eateries off the beaten path.

Try Blue Angel Resort. They have great packages!!! They also have an awesome shore dive!

thanks for all the fantastic replies guys. will report back what i end up doing. could be useful for other newbies to coz in the future!

It would help to know your maximum nightly cost.

On Cheaptickets.com, I see Bahia and Suites Colonial for $38 a night BEFORE applying the CHEAPIE20 discount code.

The following hotel map may help

Cozumel, Mexico map with hotel locations

Last edited:
nice map cheers.

max 50 would be great.
sorry for the newb question but are certain accommodations prohibitive to diving? ie cheap acom but long way to the diveshop/pickup/peir?

nice map cheers.

max 50 would be great.
sorry for the newb question but are certain accommodations prohibitive to diving? ie cheap acom but long way to the diveshop/pickup/peir?

As noted by several people, many dive ops start at the Caleta which is by the Presidente hotel (Box A of the south hotel zone. Maybe that is $20 roundtrip taxi fare.

Several dive ops use the Aldora pier in town. Aqua Safari uses theirs and Dive Paradise operates out of the Barracuda hotel so you have six or so dive ops that are walkable from an in town hotel

My previous hotel costs were based upon 4-11 April. If you have actual dates that may help others who look up prices.

ok cheers. probably from 26th January for 3 or 4 nights.

Another very reasonable downtown hotel is Hotel Plaza Cozumel. I think their listed rate is $50 US per night, but with packages and discount codes from Orbitz I usually end up paying in the 30s. Clean, decent breakfast included, and a pool on the roof with a nice view, a block north of the Ferry Pier.

No, only Dive Paradise can pick up there AFAIK. I checked last year.
By the way, are other dive ops (other than Dive Paradise, that is) still able to pick up customers at the Hotel Barracuda pier? If I recall, there was talk of dive ops changing this practice because of new pier use fees being imposed. My wife and I being thrifty types ourselves, we have enjoyed the economical but very nice Coral Reef Inn and thought it was a fair tradeoff having to walk the five or six blocks to the Barracuda pier to get picked up each day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom