Cozumel or Freeport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did it at a time when you could still climb the pyramid... Easy climb up, somewhat terrifying descent due to the short tread of the steps.
So did I, and I agree that coming down was a bit... vertiginous. Did you climb the smaller pyramid inside the big one? I did, and that's when I discovered that I am somewhat claustrophobic. I could not get out of there fast enough.

So did I, and I agree that coming down was a bit... vertiginous. Did you climb the smaller pyramid inside the big one? I did, and that's when I discovered that I am somewhat claustrophobic. I could not get out of there fast enough.

I took a look at the smaller pyramid, and decided that it was not for me...

Hey guys. I'm not sure if this is the right place, but at least 50% of this is Mexico. :)

The things are in motion and we have booked the flights to Miami, but up to that.... Well so many options in the Caribbean, and we have never been there so totally lost! We have decided to use roughly 10 days diving, and spend rest of our holiday in Miami. We arrive to Miami at the first week of June.

For the diving, we have been wondering basically Freeport and Cozumel. In talks have also been Belize (ReefCI) or Cancun / Isla. The ReefCI would be best for us, since we really appreciate nature and don't want to support bad behavior in reefs / nature, which is a possibility always when going to to "touristy" places. Sadly that is not possible, as it does not fit our schedule. :( We also checked few liveaboards but it seems that they either cost shitloads of money or are not fitting to our schedule either.

Having said that: Anyone been on Cozumel and Freeport diving? The thing that puzzles us is that if you check what CAN be seen on those sites, Grand Bahama has more stuff in there. Especially sharks and bigger stuff. Is it really so that in Cozumel there are none of the same possibilities than in Freeport / Grand Bahamas?
Diving Grand Bahama- Guide to diving Grand Bahama with marine life & Dive Centre information
Diving Cozumel - Guide to diving Cozumel with marine life & Dive Centre information

We have gathered the following pluses and minuses for both:
Cozumel:
+ Decent priced diving
+ People seem to appreciate the place, but for us its a mystery. We have places like Similan Islands as a reference.
+ Cheap living
+- Food? Decent amount of restaurants.
- Things to do? We are not sure if there is anything else than diving?
- Only small stuff to see while diving - according to dive report (no possibility to whale sharks, sharks, mantas, whales, dolphins etc.)
? Is it easy to get to Playa del Carmen (since there would be a lot of things to do)?

Freeport:
+ Seems to have lots of stuff to see underwater (according to dive report)
- Expensive to dive
- Expensive to live
+- Food? Decent amount of restaurants
- Not much else to do than diving (?)

Do I got it right? What about the conditions in June? Currents?

I've been to both Freeport and Cozumel and although I enjoyed diving in the Bahamas and will go back, I feel Cozumel diving is better, from what I've seen, and more bang for the buck, as you have already figured out.

Food in Freeport is expensive, not a lot of places to eat; most of them in Lucaya and not a lot of choices. Freeport its self is not much at all with no places to eat. ALSO give yourself plenty of time and patients when eating, or doing anything ... they have REALLY perfected "island time" in the Bahamas.

There are TONS of great places to eat on Coz. From local "street tacos", very cheap to 5 star restaurants and everything in between, all cuisines are covered pretty much as well.

Diving is more expensive almost everywhere I've seen than on Cozumel. Bahamas is no exception. We dove with Sunn Odyssey Divers and would dive with them again.

You will have more chance to see "real" sharks in the Bahamas, we mostly see nurse sharks on Coz, but the occasional blacktip, hammerhead and bull may be sighted.
No whale sharks or whales, but Mantas have been spotted on a rare occasion, and Spotted Eagles are often seen on Coz, especially in the winter months.

but we don't only see "small stuff", large grouper, Morey eels, angels, puffers, Southern Stingrays, electric rays, the formentioned Eagle rays and filefish as well as most the usual suspects on a Caribbean reef are found in Cozumel, not to mention the spectacular reefs themselves (which in my opinion a lot of people overlook). Spectacular wall dives and mid-reef "garden dives", which I did not see in the Bahamas at all.

Not much to do in Freeport. No real nightlife that we could find off the resort. Cozumel has lots of nightlife and things to do, live music every night. There's the museum, San Gervasio Mayan ruins, lots of day beaches and public beaches, beach bar/restaurants, shopping, (not much of that either in the Freeport), island tours, rent a car or taxi for the day and explore the island, a world class Jack Nicholas (sp?) designed and World Audubon site golf course ... just off the top of my head

conditions in June are probably like May, 80+ water temps, very clear other than plankton blooms, currents can get a little tricky in the summer, but generally slow and easy.

getting to Playa is easy, the ferry runs between the island and Playa many times a day from 6am? - 11pm? something like that.

any specific questions, please feel free to PM me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom