Cozumel questions - staying on the cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Food poisoning can happen at an AI or anywhere else. I think it has more to do with who handled the food, how clean the kitchen and food prep areas are in addition to cooking it properly. Of course improperly stored food can be an issue. We periodically hear about e-coli and salmonella in the states. I would not put too much emphasis on it being Mexico and that you "will" get sick if you eat "native". I am not a foodie but I believe you generally get what you pay for.

There are many restaurants in town (higher $ to cheap) that have good reputations. I personnally would go with those when eating in town. Pack Immodium just in case and keep an eye out for other symptoms. There are fav restaraunt lists in this forum.

Over the years in tropical locations, I have found that many people blame bad food or water for intestinal problems when many times it's too much sun, too much fun, overeating, stress, too much alcohol, gotta make this tour then gotta do that, etc.

If you can get an AI for $80/day with air for Cozumel, jump on it. Can't tell when you did that. Ten years ago we saw AI packages with air to Coz for $799 or $899 but not lately - inflation, fuel increases, etc. Maybe you can get that out of texas since it's closer (lower air cost). We used to be able to get crazy last minute deals on charters doing air only. Things have changed.

This is a bit off the original post and probably dealt with on many posts. The treatment for Traveler's diarrhea is not imodium. The usual bugs are coliforms including ecoli however there is also shigella and salmonella. Taking imodium can potentially make all these conditions worse by reducing colonic transit. For common traveller's diarrhea an antibiotic such as ciprofloxacin is recommened. Imodium can also be taken along with cipro once initiated. In all the times that I have been to Cozumel and have ate at a wide variety of food establishments I have yet to have a problem.

Admittedly I haven't inspected the facilities to ascertain this. I was told this by the former owners of Villa Las Anclas, back when I used to stay there. Since I bought my home in Coz I am not aware of significant infrastructure improvements outside of the highway. Maybe they were lying to me?
The east side does have electricity, it may be generated, but the restaurants do have their food refridgerated and there is hot water.. cuz I just took a shower last night in my hotel room over there (Ventanas del Mar). Don´t know where someone would have the idea that the east side establishments don´t have the proper ways to keep food cold and frozen and hot water to clean with. .

This is a bit off the original post and probably dealt with on many posts. The treatment for Traveler's diarrhea is not imodium. The usual bugs are coliforms including ecoli however there is also shigella and salmonella. Taking imodium can potentially make all these conditions worse by reducing colonic transit. For common traveller's diarrhea an antibiotic such as ciprofloxacin is recommened. Imodium can also be taken along with cipro once initiated. In all the times that I have been to Cozumel and have ate at a wide variety of food establishments I have yet to have a problem.

This would not be a unanimous recommendation, perhaps not even a majority opinion.

A few years ago there was a single guy who posted an awesome account of his Budget stay. Unfortanately I can't remember the OP, however, Dandy Don, if you are reading this, perhaps you have that magic as to where to find this information for Texasguy. As far as cheap food, it is easy to find. Taco places, food carts, Chicken places, Comida Economica's ie: Chilangos on Avenida 10 or Sabores, Subway/Pizza Hut, etc, plus, don't forget the prepared foods made at the Mega and Chedraui. If you stay in town, and there are several very economical nice places to stay, you can easily get around by walking everywhere included the Town pier for dive pick up. If you want to consider a non-AI route, I would recommend you start with your Dive op and then find the lodging. Check out the reviews of the frequently mentioned ops, then narrow your list down to 3 - 5. From that list, contact the ops with your dates and what you are looking for. Find out cost, where they pick up if your lodging is in town, solo diver and any other options you are wanting. As far as budget AI/Diving, I would think Hotel Cozumel and then Blue Angel Resort would fit your needs. But, do consider non-AI, you will perhaps experience Cozumel a bit more, which, is so much fun ! Regardless of where you end up, Have a Wonderful Cozumel trip ! SS

I think this is the post you remembered..

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/274681-coz-budget-trip-report-feb-2009-a.html

This would not be a unanimous recommendation, perhaps not even a majority opinion.

Curious why you don't give the nod to Cipro? I'm by no means a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I travel a bit, and have always had very good experiences with it in the far east and south of the border. I first got it prescribed to me by my doctor about 7 years ago, prior to a trip to the Phillipines, and ended up getting sick as a dog while there. After taking the Cipro, I was better within four hours with little to no side effects. I've been carrying some whenever I travel ever since! I just got back from Coz, and didn't need it, but had it packed as a "just in case."

Overuse of antibiotics for frivolous reasons is the very reason we have problems to with drug-resistant bacteria.

Curious why you don't give the nod to Cipro? I'm by no means a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I travel a bit, and have always had very good experiences with it in the far east and south of the border. I first got it prescribed to me by my doctor about 7 years ago, prior to a trip to the Phillipines, and ended up getting sick as a dog while there. After taking the Cipro, I was better within four hours with little to no side effects. I've been carrying some whenever I travel ever since! I just got back from Coz, and didn't need it, but had it packed as a "just in case."

As fire_diver said:

Overuse of antibiotics for frivolous reasons is the very reason we have problems to with drug-resistant bacteria.

There are many causes for GI difficulties. Most would be, just as if not more, effectively addressed by other means than antibiotics. Google is your friend.:)

Understood, and can't say I disagree with the sentiment that antibiotics are overused. However, I wouldn't be taking for general "traveller's diarrhea." The last time I took Cipro, I was puking my guts out and had a fever of 103F! I think I'll continue to play it safe. I'd rather have access to antibiotics and not use them, then not have them and need them! Carry-on...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom