Cozumel Rookie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's the thing about staying at one of those south end resorts; you are a long way from the locals. It's a $20 cab ride to town, each way.
Just got back and stayed at the Fiesta Americana. Cab fare to town is $10 each way, not $20 each way. Unless you're a great tipper....��

Just got back and stayed at the Fiesta Americana. Cab fare to town is $10 each way, not $20 each way. Unless you're a great tipper....��
Fiesta Americana is not "one of those south end resorts".

Fiesta Americana is not "one of those south end resorts".

Have they moved it north of town since a few weeks ago? If not, I think it's fair to refer to it as being on the south end of the island in that it is south of San Miguel.

Have they moved it north of town since a few weeks ago? If not, I think it's fair to refer to it as being on the south end of the island in that it is south of San Miguel.
I'd call it mid-point. South of town but nowhere near the south end of the island, which was what, I am sure, ggunn was referring to in his taxi cost reference.

I always always always were a wetsuit. Even in Palau with 85 degree water I got chilly after a few days of 4 dives a day in a 3mm fullsuit.
It all depends on how much you move around, and for me drift diving means very little movement so I get cold faster.
Feb-March water temps, anything below 80 degrees, would be a 5mm fullsuit and a beanie on my head. Yes. really.

And I have NEVER been too warm on a dive... if I were, I would just pull the neck out slightly and flood the suit. Problem solved. On the other hand, I have been cold on dives, no way to fix that. Better to wear the suit.

I'm the same. When mostly drifting, I just get a bit chilly (especially fingers) halfway thru my second dive, even with a 3mm thermoprene. Everyone's different tho, my wife was fine in a worn 3mm shorty.

Btw, I was in Coz last week and while we had 28-29º water temps early in the week, after the 2 day El Norte, it got down to 25º on one dive.

If you're going to be looking at $40 cab fare every day just go rent an old VW bug from Margarita at Rentadora ISIS. I think she has cars as cheap as $30 a day and that includes full insurance. We rent from her every time we go to Coz and have never had an issue. They are great!

Also I second (third? fourth?) the advice about wetsuits. I used to just wear a dive skin for the first week but on later trips I found if I start with the 3mil right off the bat, the 2nd week of diving I tend to be warmer and enjoy the dives more. My son wears a 5 mil and my wife wears a 3 mil with a fleece hoodie (and she still gets cold). Also, bring a light windbreaker style jacket on the boat with you! I can't tell you how many times we have been glad to have our jackets with us on the boat ride back in when the diving day is done, especially if the clouds are blocking the sun or it's a bit rainy.

ggunn was clearly talking about hotels like Iberostar, Grand and Allegro (possibly Secrets as well).

Select the South Hotel zone tab then scroll down and look at Box B

Cozumel, Mexico map with hotel locations

I second renting a car, at least one day to go to the other side of the island. Stuff a bunch of peeps in and have a good time! Margarita at Rentora Isis. Coconuts for drinks and food, a good after dive lunch.

I second renting a car, at least one day to go to the other side of the island. Stuff a bunch of peeps in and have a good time! Margarita at Rentora Isis. Coconuts for drinks and food, a good after dive lunch.
Definitely take the "around the island" trip, but you might consider hiring a taxi for the afternoon to do it. DWI is very serious, especially in a country other than your own. Plus, no one has to be stuck driving. Cab drivers do this all the time and I have never had a problem negotiating a reasonable fee for this service - usually ~US$15-20 per person. The driver will take you around and stop wherever you want for as long as you like. I used to be the driver for our group, and it kinda sucked; the car rental was almost as much as the cab, and we had to deal with picking up and dropping off the car, insurance, etc., and I had to count my beers... Never again.

Back
Top Bottom