Cozumel Tourist Safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main complaint of tourists are the "Tourist Advisors" who are located at the airport that are salespeople for the condos/time shares. Just walk on by to your bus/shuttle/taxi and ignore them.
Yep, I've had them lie to me about where to buy shuttle tickets - tried to get me into their office. Just make a point of ignoring the huge flock at the gate; better to ask another tourist.

Some cabbies and a few waiters might try to pad bills, but that's about as serious as crime seems to be there. I wouldn't abandon caution totally, some situations are obviously not prudent, but overall - very safe.

Going on my 31st trip to Cozumel in just a couple of weeks I can say that I pose more of a threat to them, than they do me me. :D Your mother-in-law might enjoy a collection of notes I and my friends have put together over the years. It started as a joke, but is now the biggest hitting page on my website...69 Reasons Women Love Cozumel.

My mom and I were there at Xmas this year! We loved it. (It's actually where I got certified!) It was so safe, we looked like idiots at one (or many points)...

We tried to get downtown during a festival and got lost (yes I was obviously behind the wheel), we end up in a dark alley and I whip out my pathetic broken Spanish to ask this local biker punk where the church is. After I rattle on in my version of Spanish and try to make up a word for church, he all of a sudden gestures to me and says "why don't we start this over and you tell me what you're looking for in English"!!!!
My mom and I burst out laughing! It is very safe and the locals are very helpful and kind.

Oh, one thing - DO NOT BUY JEWELRY THERE!!! Everything I bought turned out to be fake. Other than that, I plan on going back!!

Thanks for all of your informative responses. You guys are awesome! Hope to see some of you in Cozumel in January!

"There might be some concern if you were going to the Oaxaca Huatulco area on the South West coast or camping in the Baja area."

Actually, Huatulco is very safe. The recent problems in Oaxaca City had little or no impact on Huatulco, which is a 45 minute plane ride or an all-day drive throught the mountains from Oaxaca. It's a bit like worrying about the impact of New York gangs on your trip to Maine.

Oh, one thing - DO NOT BUY JEWELRY THERE!!! Everything I bought turned out to be fake. Other than that, I plan on going back!!
If you don't mind saying, where and what did you buy?

Sorry 'bout that!:11: All the jewlery, we've purchased there has been real. Some has been real silver and some has been real costume, but it was all real. :D

Go...dive...let them bake...have fun...no worries!!

I've been visiting Cancun and Cozumel every year the past six years with my family and we always felt safe.The people are great and the diving fantastic.Just return from Coz after 12 days of diving!Just like travelling to everywhere else in the world,.....be a little street smart and you'll be safer.Stay away from people and places that you know maybe trouble.Use the internet and learn as much as possible about the place before going..I 'm sure you and your family will have a great time in Coz.....

I feel safer in Coz. than I do in the little local town here of about 25,000.

Was more concerned in the Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras area...and also the Laredo/Nuevo Laredo area but was by myself a few times when crossed the border. The main concern in Piedras Negras was that my uncle that lives in the area had seen the bridge closed down at times...if you are in Piedras Negras and need to get back to Uvalde...oops.

If I was planning on going to the El Paso/Juarez area at this point in time I'd be a little concerned about that destination. Haven't kept up with the problems in the other parts of the mainland.

Coz. is a major tourist area away from the mainland...if that tells you anything. As said, I feel very safe there and have been going to Coz. for about 15 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom