Cozumel trip report Aug/Sept

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarada

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I stayed at Scuba Club Cozumel starting Sunday August 25th for almost two weeks. We were there solo the first week, and then 13 of the group joined us Saturday, August 31st for the second week.

We've been to SCC over a dozen times, sometimes in March and sometimes in the summer. The weather was superb. Sometimes squalls would dump heavy rain, but they would last only an hour.

Scuba Club is designed for divers. It is secure, clean and the rooms are spacious. We went all inclusive and they must have a new chef - the food is always great, but this trip it was better. The staff has been there forever, low turnover; very friendly. We were greeted by name since we were returning guests. We went out for dinner twice, once to Prima and once to Kinta. Both were terrific and inexpensive.

The dive operation is terrific. I had trouble with my first stage and they fixed it. My wife had trouble with her second stage and they fixed it. The first week we were on a boat with two other couples - terrific divers and they were very friendly. The second week we had our own boat. Some very experienced divers and some newbie's. Since we were watching the newbie's we had shortened bottom times. The first week we had Luis ("Choky") as a dive master. The second week we had Luis and Ariel as our dive masters. They showed us everything! Both carry magnifying glasses so we could see the smallest stuff. We saw 3 black tip sharks, a first for us at Cozumel. We did many shore dives and two night dives in front of SCC: lots to see!

Overall a very good trip. We're going back to Scuba Club next July so we can take a day and snorkel with the whale sharks.

My first trip to Coz was at SCC. Had a great time. The surface action was just as fun too. Way too much to drink on more than one night. Oh well, I was on vacation right? Hey, is Willie still DM'ing there? I heard he was having some health issues. Hope he is doing well. B.

Willie is still a DM at SCC. He has Type II diabetes and he's controlling it thru medication and weight loss. Willie showed me a pipe horse when we ran into his group.

Can I ask which dive site you saw the black tips at? I've seen tons of nurse sharks there, but no other varieties.

Punta Sur. We went over the top of Devil's Throat and we saw them there.

Sounds like a fantastic trip. I can't wait to go back next spring for our 4th time there. SCC is like home-- with diving!

I've been there 3 times now, and it always feels like home. Even though it is two years between visits, the front desk staff, the divemasters, the restaurant staff and Mario always seem to know my name.

Hoping to be going back in March 2014. :D

Divegoose

Glad you had a great trip. We are back to SCC in 7 weeks for our 5th time and can't wait. We always do the full meal plan and think the food is wonderful. Can't wait to try it now if there is a new chef.

Also interested in seeing the sharks but not interested in doing Devil's Throat (again). Didn't know you can dive on top of it. How deep is that? 80-90ft?

Betty

Betty - our last trip the DM suggested Devil's Throat. Several of us weren't interested, so he suggested we do the Punta Sur Cathedral and outside over top of throat. MUCH more interesting dive. We were at 100-105' at deepest part, most of dive in 80-90' range. The DMs at SCC will know if you ask them.

Thanks Robin.

Will ask our DM Tony when we get there in early November. We will only be diving the 2 AM dives as we will be busy in the afternoons doing stuff in preparation for our move to Cozumel in Jan/Feb.

The house went up for sale yesterday and we are having back to back showings. (5 yesterday + 3 so far for today and we have to be out of the house all this time) We are so tired and stressed out even though we were at Couples Negril and just returned last weekend. Really??? It hasn't even been a week since we're back. OMG. I can't wait until next year when every day in Coz seems like a vacation. (OK OK I know it won't but not having to work will be HUGE)

Betty

Back
Top Bottom