Cozumel Vacation advice for Diver and non-Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, AirBnB is a thing in Cozumel, and the last time we were there we got a great 3 bedroom house with a small pool in a nice part of town for about $140/night (total including all fees, and that was on short notice, you can probably do better). Tip: when they say "air-conditioned" you may want to ask if it's the whole house or just the bedrooms (if so, confirm all bedrooms). It's quite easy for non-Spanish-speakers to shop at the Chedraui or Mega supermarkets in town. You can get some nice baked goods at the Chedraui or one of the bakeries in town -- we did this for convenience many mornings, but some mornings we went out for breakfast. There are a lot of good, reasonably priced restaurants in town. My son and I were getting our OW certification, and the other 3 of our party were going to beaches, so we rented cars from Rentadora Isis, who we have rented from several other times with all good experiences.

For a small boutique hotel at great prices you might consider Casita de Maya. They have a chef that can take your breakfast orders the night before and have you ready to go early. So many good restaurants in town that we really only ate here for breakfast, and half the time just had coffee with baked goods from the bakery in town that we bought the night before. Here, again, you will need to drive or take a taxi to beaches, which is not a big deal -- could be at Buccanos beach club in less than 10 minutes.

The more we visit Cozumel the more we enjoy alternatives to All-Inclusives (AI), but there is definitely a convenience about AI's. We've stayed at Allegro once and Melia several times. You can often get great prices at the Allegro, and it has a nice sandy beach (which equals bland snorkeling) and it also has a dive shop on premises (Allegro Cozumel Hotel & Dive Resort | Pro Dive International). The Allegro has what someone called cafeteria-grade food (not bad, not great). But their breakfast was good, lunch passable for beach days, and dinner o.k. but worth splurging to go to a restaurant in town a few nights. The Melia has better food, is closer to town, generally costs a little more, the beach and water is not as nice (but some decent snorkeling at the hotel next door, which you are allowed to go to) and also has a dive shop (Melia Cozumel Golf - All Inclusive - Pro Dive International).

As I've been planning my next trip to Cozumel, Dive With Martin and Tres Pelicanos have been the shops that stood out from my research as having good prices and lots of great reviews. I've been especially looking at Dive With Martin (Home Page) as their dive package prices include the cost of all basic gear, which is pretty unusual, but nice if you don't have gear or don't want to schlep it. Also, you can add a night dive to their package for $35. They'll also pick up from some resorts.

Hope this helps!

As I've been planning my next trip to Cozumel, Dive With Martin and Tres Pelicanos have been the shops that stood out from my research as having good prices and lots of great reviews. I've been especially looking at Dive With Martin (Home Page) as their dive package prices include the cost of all basic gear, which is pretty unusual, but nice if you don't have gear or don't want to schlep it. Also, you can add a night dive to their package for $35. They'll also pick up from some resorts.

Hope this helps!

Hey Rob,
I've been looking at Dive with Martin as well as Roberta's Scuba Shack, and I'm curious as to what you found while researching; there are SOOO many choices there that I finally decided to concentrate on LDS's close to where we will be staying, hence Martin and Roberta's shops.
Aldora seems to be a great choice, and (I think) they pick up at all of the resort piers, but it seems all (or most) are now charging for it.

Thx,
Kevin

... to Cozumel sometime late February/March timeframe.
There's Slow season, High Season, and Sold out(almost) Season. I wouldn't wait too long to book, cause guess which season you are picking?

There's Slow season, High Season, and Sold out(almost) Season. I wouldn't wait too long to book, cause guess which season you are picking?

That's good to know. Fortunately, we booked our March trip already. We were told that Spring Break (only time my wife can get off work) isn't that bad on Coz, like it is in Cancun. Is that true?

I've been looking at Dive with Martin as well as Roberta's Scuba Shack, and I'm curious as to what you found while researching; there are SOOO many choices there that I finally decided to concentrate on LDS's close to where we will be staying, hence Martin and Roberta's shops. Aldora seems to be a great choice, and (I think) they pick up at all of the resort piers, but it seems all (or most) are now charging for it.
Hi Kevin,

When I first started looking, I thought I might go to Cozumel before Thanksgiving or shortly after. And we had NO gear at all -- not even mask & fins suitable for Scuba. So, the fact that Dive with Martin included ALL equipment was a pretty big deal. That aspect, plus the fact that their 5 day dive package was so cheap, and you could add a night dive for $35, all made Dive with Martin a good bit less than others -- and they had 5 out of 5 rating on TripAdvisor with lots of reviews.

Our plans have changed and it will probably be March before I can go to Cozumel, and we may have our own gear by then. So, while that will change the equation a bit, I think Dive with Martin will still be on the short list. From my prior research, my short list did also include Aldora, Tres Pelicanos, and for hotel/dive packages: Scuba Club Cozumel, Blue Angel Resort, Hotel Barracuda, Deep Blue.

Yes, as I understand it many of the resort piers are actually charging a few dollars per diver for dive operators picking up from their piers.

You mentioned diving with Roberta's. I was also looking at them because they list that they help people with health issues dive. My wife is interested in diving, but has multiple health issues that would probably require assistance getting into and out of the water, etc., so I may look into them further on our next trip.

... like it is in Cancun. Is that true?
Just my opinion, but Coz always is alot more relaxed than Cancun (almost anytime of the year). Spring break is busy and the best Hotels and the best dive operator's time slots always get sold out fast. Lock in your reservations early.

For your non-diving folks, I'd ask them what they want... most people who don't dive at least want to be by the water. Then what water... walking beach or better for snorkel? Hotel B & Hotel Playa Azul in the north are nice and have great shaded balconies to sit and love the gorgeous turquoise water. Better for snorkeling, though there is some beach + pools. Azul has a golf pkg too if someone is into that. There are 2 bdrm condos like Cantamar & Miramar as well in the north (good snorkel + pool). If you stay up there you will probably have to take a taxi to a downtown pier, the marina or your ops shop for daily diving. Going south of town, Fiesta Americana/Explorean is getting a lot of good feedback. Closer to town, there is also, El Cid and the Park Royal which can have the huge looming cruise ships in the view... Usually people who stay in the south rent a car as the taxi fare is alot more to town. But proximity to the reefs means usually the ops boat can pick you right up from your hotel. Blue Angel is basic/nice + has a good restaurant, dive operation & those balconies. Iberostar AI seems to have decent food and a nice beach in the south. It's hard to go wrong. IMHO, avoid the Barracuda if you are not wanting the Spring Break atmosphere. I'd wait on AirBnb until you get a little more familiar with where things are (another trip), but again, IMHO. Have a great trip and let us know how it goes !

PS: It would behoove your fiance to get her book work done on the certification at home... then do the check out dives in Cozumel.

Hi Kevin,

When I first started looking, I thought I might go to Cozumel before Thanksgiving or shortly after. And we had NO gear at all -- not even mask & fins suitable for Scuba. So, the fact that Dive with Martin included ALL equipment was a pretty big deal. That aspect, plus the fact that their 5 day dive package was so cheap, and you could add a night dive for $35, all made Dive with Martin a good bit less than others -- and they had 5 out of 5 rating on TripAdvisor with lots of reviews.

Our plans have changed and it will probably be March before I can go to Cozumel, and we may have our own gear by then. So, while that will change the equation a bit, I think Dive with Martin will still be on the short list. From my prior research, my short list did also include Aldora, Tres Pelicanos, and for hotel/dive packages: Scuba Club Cozumel, Blue Angel Resort, Hotel Barracuda, Deep Blue.

Yes, as I understand it many of the resort piers are actually charging a few dollars per diver for dive operators picking up from their piers.

You mentioned diving with Roberta's. I was also looking at them because they list that they help people with health issues dive. My wife is interested in diving, but has multiple health issues that would probably require assistance getting into and out of the water, etc., so I may look into them further on our next trip.

Thanks Rob; those are all of the same that I looked at, and I liked Roberta's for the same reason (I have a new knee, and had bypass surgery 2 years ago, so my health is not what I would like).
Ping me after mid-Feb and I'll let you know how we made out!

KevinL

Thanks Rob; those are all of the same that I looked at, and I liked Roberta's for the same reason (I have a new knee, and had bypass surgery 2 years ago, so my health is not what I would like).
Ping me after mid-Feb and I'll let you know how we made out!
Sounds good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom