Cozumel Vs. Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yaki

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have to admit I am spoiled. Living in Texas, Cozumel is your back yard for diving.... :D
But looking for change, we are thinking of belize in May. I thought I'll ask experts who have been to both if the change is worth it:
1. How easy it is to find a small but service friendly and noit expensive) operator? we will be a group of 6.
2. what is teh difference in cost of living between the two destinations? (food, taxi costs, 3 tank dive days, etc).

any information will be welcomed greatly.

Happy Holidays!
Manny

I've been to Cozumel many times. I've been to Belize twice - once to Ambergris Caye and once to Glover's Atoll.

I think the diving in Cozumel is better. Varied dive sites and clearer water - plus the drift diving is superb. If I go to Belize again, I would want to go to the offshore Islands, not Ambergris Caye again; or a live aboard. The diving on Turneffe and Glover's atoll is much better - more fish life and clearer water.

In my opinion Cozumel is cheaper. We stay at Scuba Club Cozumel, an all inclusive, and the food is great. We usually go out twice for dinner during the two weeks we stay there. The dive operation is truly great.

Last edited:
Diving is better in Cozumel
Partying is probably better in Cozumel
Adventure and other activities is better in Belize

Have been to both and Belize is my kids (ages 21 and 24) favorite vacation destination.
They are into adventure activities.

We are doing Belize this summer (2013)

1. How easy it is to find a small but service friendly and noit expensive) operator? we will be a group of 6.
Manny

I would throw that right out the window right now, and if that's an important criteria for you I would scrub the trip.

Belize is notorious for bad, dangerous diving experiences. DO NOT scrimp on the quality of the dive operation. And before you say you won't and you'll screen them and blah, blah, blah, believe me you will get what you pay for in Belize. Good, quality, safe dive operations will not be the 'not expensive' one. It costs more and therefore you have to charge more to maintain boats, motors, compressors, etc... and hire competent dive professionals. You don't want to be on a dive boat in Belize in an emergency to find out the marine radio really doesn't work, or the oxygen cylinder is empty or missing the mask etc... if you have to have a bargain, keep diving in Cozumel. The dive community is exceptional there and even the average operator in Cozumel is far superior to some of the dive operators you will find elsewhere.

Please take some time to read through this Belize forum and educate yourself about the issues with diving there. There are many, many threads that get into the unique, dive community in Belize and the problems and dangers. The number 1 issue down there is dive operators taking newbie divers like yourself on dives beyond their training and experience levels. Scubaboard will give you the realities not the travel site, travel brochure hype.

I think if you want something DIFFERENT from Cozumel, you should go farther away than Belize.
Check out a 3-bdrm condo at Buddy Dive in Bonaire. You get free buffet breakfast and Truck rental with your room. Pick up sandwich stuff at local grocery store for lunches in room between dives. The BEST house reef in the Caribbean... just walk in water and dive. VERY different from Cozumel.
United flies direct from Houston on Friday night, arrive Sat morning early, then fly back home the following Saturday. Airfare isn't cheap, like to Cozumel, but if you want something different, go THERE.

And like others have said... if you want Adventure stuff, go to Belize. There are tons of non-diving activities available.

Thank you thank you for the info and honest advice!!!
I am a novice diver and (so is my first in command), so I think I'll try Cozumel for several more times before heading elsewhere.
Did all inclusive, did hotel with Breakfast only. I think next time will be to rent a vila by our dive operator shop. Should be cheaper for the party we plan to bring.

Thanks guys!

We went to Ambergris Caye in July. This was our first time to Belize. We have the majority of our dives in Cozumel. I felt that the "underwater scenery" in Cozumel was superior to that in AC. I like the vibe in Cozumel much better than AC. We did have a very good dive operator...Capt'n Ron's Reef Adventure. The briefings were thorough, there was oxygen and a first aid kit on the boat, the DM was very conservative (too much for our taste), and we felt very safe on every dive. Would I go back to AC to dive....no. Would I go to one of the atolls...yes....I understand there are beautiful wall dives and a large variety of sea life out there.

We wanted to dive somewhere else just to see if Cozumel was overrated in our minds. So far....Cozumel is as good as it gets for us. We love it! However, we do plan to venture out to other places....Florida Keys, Bonnaire, a liveaboard in the Caribbean, etc. But for the price and the time it takes for us to get to a great dive destination...Cozumel works for us.

Happy diving wherever you go!

Yaki,
Talk to Aldora Divers in Cozumel. I have dove with them my last three trips and they are a great operator. They also have the Aldora Villa at the north end just a short walk out of town. A good place to stay. The rooms have full kitchens, well kept, and a BBQ for your use also.

bbarada,
Hey, is there still a DM at Scuba Club named Willy? A big hulk of as local who was pretty cool to dive with my first trip there about 8 years ago.

Bruce

lindenbruce: Yes Willy is still at Scuba Club, and they still call him "Free Willy." But he has diabetes now, and he's lost a lot of weight. He is still a big guy, and fun to dive with.

Bob

OMG!!! That's fracking funny Bob. I hope he get's his health under control. He's a good guy. B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom