Cozumel Vs. Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking at going to Cozumel or Belize in March-April and was really interested to see what people had to say. That being said this thread has been wholely disappointing. Its like 5 pages of banter about how dangerous Belize is! Diving is dangerous, its why my insurance for my mortgage does not cover it. You are in charge of your life. You should check your own air, have your own gear, dive with a buddy, and keep it simple. If my tank fails, I have my dive buddy there to bail me out, thats why there is such a system....a safety net in case of catastrophe. Sure some agency can over see scuba diving to make it safer like in the US or Britan, but it won't stop people from dying, cause diving is dangerous. There are good and bad operators in every destination in the world, thats why people read these forums. :cowboy: Wild west of diving LOL.

That being said, I am getting the impression that if I want to see more big stuff I should go to Belize, yes?

Also, has anyone dove on the Tabacco Caye?

I am looking at going to Cozumel or Belize in March-April and was really interested to see what people had to say. That being said this thread has been wholely disappointing. Its like 5 pages of banter about how dangerous Belize is! Diving is dangerous, its why my insurance for my mortgage does not cover it. You are in charge of your life. You should check your own air, have your own gear, dive with a buddy, and keep it simple. If my tank fails, I have my dive buddy there to bail me out, thats why there is such a system....a safety net in case of catastrophe. Sure some agency can over see scuba diving to make it safer like in the US or Britan, but it won't stop people from dying, cause diving is dangerous. There are good and bad operators in every destination in the world, thats why people read these forums. :cowboy: Wild west of diving LOL.

That being said, I am getting the impression that if I want to see more big stuff I should go to Belize, yes?

Also, has anyone dove on the Tabacco Caye?

You will see more big stuff in Belize.

Last edited:
Lots of big sharks in Belize, some of them in the water.

I've free dived the cut and just outside the cut at Tobacco to depths of only about 70 feet. Beyond that, I'm not sure, but it's comparable to Southwater Caye in my opinion which is considered some of the better diving on the barrier reef.
The cut there is a fish attraction area as it is deep and has a lot of water movement during tide changes.
Tobacco Caye itself is on the northern end of the Southwater Marine Reserve.

I've done several night dives in the area just at the south of Tobacco Caye. Quite interesting for a night dive, not sure about day diving there. If you find an orange DSMB and Buddy Reel they're mine!

Diving and partying is probably better in Cozumel. I like to do other things on vacation, and I had a great time in Belize. I would guess Cozumel is cheaper too. They are both great places, just different.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom