Cozumel Vs. Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter and I have known each other for years, as he's just been made aware by pm. I was well acquainted with Hector, his brother and all those that had worked with Hector for many many years. I grieve(d) along with them.

If you've known Peter for years then you're either well aware of everything I've said and there has been no reason for your beating this to death and pretending it isn't so and making this into some drawn out pissing contest denying the obvious, or you and Peter have a lot to talk about, because if anybody knows the situation there, he does. Peter is objective, knowledgeable and has been on both sides of it. So let's stop the games Chilly. I'm sure you're a nice enough fellow, you've just gotten caught up in tying to show who's got a bigger one for whatever reason. It's not beneficial to newbies to go down these roads. Experienced divers owe it to them to provide information that is important for their safety and education, and if they can get to the point of going into diving with dive operations with their eyes wide open faster, soon rather than later that's extremely important and beneficial. It also benefits the good dive operators by driving more business to them by creating informed divers, informed consumers. We were all new once and we didn't know what we didn't know.

Mine is bigger, no need for me to *try* and prove it. B-)

I've been to Belize (AC) twice and would like to go back. I'd have no problem diving with one of the better quality ops. But the overall point that not all dive shops are equal, some in any location may follow unsafe practices and trying to search out the least expensive op in any location may not be wise, are important points for newbies to be aware of. I know when I first started I looked at all dive ops the same, quickly learning that quality, service and safety can vary greatly. Doing lots of research first and seeking first hand reviews of others helps. I don't dive anywhere now without first researching the op. I also tend to stick to the higher cost ops in any given location.

Agree, especially that part about "first hand reviews". Yet, in that regard, one still needs to make an attempt to read with some discernment.

chillyinCanada:
Agree, especially that part about "first hand reviews". Yet, in that regard, one still needs to make an attempt to read with some discernment.

I have always found it fairly easy to read a bunch of reviews whether it be for dive ops, lodging, restaurants or whatever and discern which people are just negative complainers and which offer good insight. I can honestly say I've never had a dive trip where I was disappointed with any of the providers. I chalk that up to lots of research and not selecting the least expensive options.

I have never been to the Blue Hole. I'm sure a number of people have had some negative experiences. But I'm also guessing there's also some negative hype and over exaggeration regarding how dangerous the experience is. That being said I don't think the dive should be done by newbies and I question the wisdom of doing it with an Alu 80.

The BH is a bounce dive. Aluminum 80s are adequate. Maybe not ideal but adequate as long as you stick to the dive plan:

Jump in, descend to the lip at 50 feet, gather the group and over the lip you go. No messing around, head for 130 feet. Slam on the brakes. Look at the wall, your group, maybe some sharks. Wonder why you went to all this trouble just for this and boing! time to go up. Regroup at the lip. Look at the sand, your group, maybe some sharks. Wonder why you went to all this trouble just for this. Safety stop and you're out and on your way to one of the coolest cayes on the planet and a truly memorable day.

Hey, I might not agree with everything Mike has said but I do admire that he took the time to dig up and multi-quote all those prior posts. Just the fact that he knows how to do that (I don't) is pretty awesome!

Last edited:
The "Wild West of Diving"...no wonder I like it here so much. :D

I haven't dived a lot of places in the world. Panay Island, Coron, Panagatan, Cagayancillo, Philippines, West Malaysia, Sabah, Tubbataha and Belize....Sipadan....and Roatan.
Belize offers some of the least challenging diving of all in my opinion.
I'd feel safer having new divers come here, even with "wild west" type operations than going to the Philippines or Indonesia with raging currents, deep wall dropoffs, no chamber within half day of most sites....
Seriously, Belize is kind of a beginners place. Yeah yeah...the Blue Hole....but overall, drift dives aren't done here because other than a few cuts at changing tide, there is little to no current.
I'm glad there are still "wild west" places in the world.

:cowboy: Yahoo! (As I've been known to shout out as the dive boat charges through the cut in the reef)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom