Cozumel Vs. Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to Belize (AC) and Cozumel each two times. For reference I have also been to Bonaire 3X, Curaçao, Akumal, Dominica, Grand Cayman, and Saba. Everyone has their favorites and different things appeal to different people. I have more interest in going back to Belize than Cozumel. You will see more fish in Cozumel than Belize but Coz has mostly smaller fish. In Belize you will see more eagle rays, stingrays, nurse sharks and turtles. Drift diving in Coz can be fun but depending on how strong the current is it can be frustrating for a photographer. There are definitely quality dive ops in Belize. I find San Pedro a more interesting town than Coz and it definitely has better restaurants. Fido's is my favorite tropical bar/restaurant. Plus as others have said topside adventure activities on mainland Belize are fantastic. But Belize will be more costly than Coz.

Mike, there are LOTS of good dive ops in Belize. A six pack of friends can have a great time in a big shop like Amigos del Mar, and scoring a captain/DM team for their entire trip. Or they can go with Chuck and Robbie, a smaller shop where they'll have lots of fun too. Yes, there are some dive ops in Belize that have bad reps . . .but I'll bet there are a couple on Coz too.

Have to add, the price of boat gas is outrageous in Belize, still it seems dive prices aren't that much higher than anywhere else, and lower than many places.

---------- Post added December 8th, 2012 at 02:00 AM ----------

Yaki, you should consider diving some place else, just for the experience. There's lots of fun to be had underwater at Belize, even if the viz isn't that of Coz. If you are going for inexpensive, consider Roatan. Beautiful island.

I agree with Chilly. Yes, there have been dive accidents in Belize and there are shops that I would avoid. However, saying "Belize is notorious for bad, dangerous diving experiences" seems a bit strong to me. Many folks have great experiences in various parts of Belize.

Also, looking back at the first post, the OP is choosing between an *entire country* on the one hand (Belize) versus a small part (Cozumel) of another country (Mexico). That's a bit uneven.

...there are LOTS of good dive ops in Belize.... Yes, there are some dive ops in Belize that have bad reps . . .but I'll bet there are a couple on Coz too.

Belize is notorious for bad, dangerous diving experiences.

I'm guessing this is about the blue hole excursions.

In a nutshell, the issue has been discussed on this forum and goes like this:

1.) The blue hole is a popular (though some deem it over-rated) famous dive destination in Belize. Apparently to 'get the experience' involves a very deep dive; you may see posts about going 140 feet or so if memory serves? This is apt to be done on 80 cf tanks with air, no deco. or technical training, at times by newbie divers. Or at least, this is the understanding I've gleaned and based on my recollection (if I screwed up the facts, someone let me know).

2.) Some people believe dive op.s have some degree of responsibility not to take newbies & the otherwise inadequately trained on single tank 80 cf 'trust me' follow-the-dive-guide dives that deep; risks include running out of air, nitrogen narcosis and perhaps newbies panicking because they're freaked out over being very deep. Some people believe assessing their readiness for the dive is the diver's responsibility, not the op.s.

Therefore, if you are going to Belize, consider researching some of the forum threads discussing the blue hole issue, so you can make an informed decision if the issue comes up on your trip.

Richard.

Most of the dive ops on Ambergris Caye feed the fish and handle the nurse sharks and eels. We dove with Amigos Del Mar and they did. When we were on Glover's Atoll they didn't. If you're into that kind of thing, go for it. We didn't participate and we shun ops that interact with the fish.

Mike, there are LOTS of good dive ops in Belize. A six pack of friends can have a great time in a big shop like Amigos del Mar, and scoring a captain/DM team for their entire trip. Or they can go with Chuck and Robbie, a smaller shop where they'll have lots of fun too. Yes, there are some dive ops in Belize that have bad reps . . .but I'll bet there are a couple on Coz too.

Have to add, the price of boat gas is outrageous in Belize, still it seems dive prices aren't that much higher than anywhere else, and lower than many places.

---------- Post added December 8th, 2012 at 02:00 AM ----------

Yaki, you should consider diving some place else, just for the experience. There's lots of fun to be had underwater at Belize, even if the viz isn't that of Coz. If you are going for inexpensive, consider Roatan. Beautiful island.

I agree with Chilly. Yes, there have been dive accidents in Belize and there are shops that I would avoid. However, saying "Belize is notorious for bad, dangerous diving experiences" seems a bit strong to me. Many folks have great experiences in various parts of Belize.

Also, looking back at the first post, the OP is choosing between an *entire country* on the one hand (Belize) versus a small part (Cozumel) of another country (Mexico). That's a bit uneven.

I'm not saying to avoid Belize.

But I can not think of another country in the Caribbean with as big a dive industry and that has as bad a reputation. It's great if someone has enjoyed diving in Belize and had no problems and has found a good safe dive operation. But that does not lessen the fact that there are so many shockingly bad dive outfits there. When you've had a good experience and not experienced anything else, it probably makes it a bit difficult to listen to others give warning, but again that doesn't negate the half dozen private messages I've received over the years because of posting about belize from dive professionals there verifying my warnings, adding their own examples and agreeing but saying please do not repeat what they've told me publically due to fear of loss of business and retribution.

Bottom line is Belize has some good safe dive operations, but certainly has a shocking amount that leave something to be desired. Newbies are the most susceptable to not knowing the difference. Do some research and back to my original warning please don't book based on low prices without acknowledging and understanding that you'll get what you pay for. Good, safe dive operations aren't the cheapest providers, they can't be, there is no way to operate safely, do maintenance, buy safety equipment etc and also be the low priced dive op. And newbies must be on guard and be aware of what 'trust me' dives are because they are going to be experiencing them if their not careful.

Mike, how many dives and how many dive ops have you dove with in Belize? I think you have a few reports in your head that have turned into a medusa.

Dive centres in Britain are regulated by a government body (the HSA) and I believe the same is true in the USA. In Belize there is no body, at local or national level, which does that job. There is no penalty for cowboy operations, even when real injury or loss results. There are legal requirements concerning insurance, safety, levels of service, that are complied with by many operators but which are not enforced. There is a Tour Guide Association to which anyone working with guests in the water must belong, and membership of this association is rigorously enforced (and highly restricted). But the Association itself does not control its members or enforce appropriate standards on them, and indeed is seen by most people as a positively harmful organisation that functions merely as an employment protection body. There is furthermore a culture throughout Belize that stopping undesirable events from happening is far less important than stopping news about them becoming public. I know of accidents which had no wider implications, but which were hushed up so when they did eventually surface attracted far more criticism than the actual events merited. In that way Belize is its own worst enemy. Actual diving standards are generally no worse here than in most countries I have visited, and some operators are truly excellent, but all are tarnished by this slip-shod method of management. Belize desperately needs proper management of diving-related activities at government level, and some of us have been trying to work to that end, but it's an uphill struggle. So, in the absence of authoritative and dependable information and enforced standards, the visiting diver must do his own research and pick operators who are reported as doing a good job. I wish it wasn't this way.

We went to Victoria House in Ambergris Caye last year. Amazing positive diving experience. The guides were wonderful and very knowledgeable. Not the cheapest place but beautiful cottages, free use of bikes or rides into town, great food and great peeps. We'll definitely go back. We will probably go to Cozumel for our first 2013 trip and looking forward to that as well.

QUOTE=islanddream;6569231]We went to Ambergris Caye in July. This was our first time to Belize. We have the majority of our dives in Cozumel. I felt that the "underwater scenery" in Cozumel was superior to that in AC. I like the vibe in Cozumel much better than AC. We did have a very good dive operator...Capt'n Ron's Reef Adventure. The briefings were thorough, there was oxygen and a first aid kit on the boat, the DM was very conservative (too much for our taste), and we felt very safe on every dive. Would I go back to AC to dive....no. Would I go to one of the atolls...yes....I understand there are beautiful wall dives and a large variety of sea life out there.

We wanted to dive somewhere else just to see if Cozumel was overrated in our minds. So far....Cozumel is as good as it gets for us. We love it! However, we do plan to venture out to other places....Florida Keys, Bonnaire, a liveaboard in the Caribbean, etc. But for the price and the time it takes for us to get to a great dive destination...Cozumel works for us.

Happy diving wherever you go![/QUOTE]

If you want to get real close to Belize diving and not go to Belize hit XTC in Xcalak Mexico. Big coral, nice boats and people who love to dive. And when they need something they don't have they get in the boat and go to San Pedro Belize for it.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom