Cozumel Weather/Certification Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Superman541

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Brand new Board member here. First post. Studying to become a PADI certified open water diver, and looking forward to that. Confined water dives are set for late November. My plan is to accomplish my open water certification dives in Cozumel where the water is dozens of degrees warmer than Puget Sound. This is set for the last half of January when I will be on the island for 11 days. Following that, another three days at Playa del Carmen for a wedding.

It just dawned on me to check water temperature conditions and other environmental data. Water will be around 80 degrees, which makes me happy. But now I see there are heavy winds at Cozumel in January. Sometimes. These winds can cause virtually all diving to cease. It appears that these wind events, when they occur, are of short duration.

Here is how you can help me with your input: What are the chances I will fail, due to weather conditions, to accomplish my certification dives during my stay there? (I REALLY do not want to do this in Puget Sound if I can avoid it) What strategies can I employ to help ensure I successfully become certified during my stay there?

Please also offer any other advice, such as favorite dive sites, dive shops, restaurants, etc. Thank you, in advance.

Oops. I an unsure how to move a thread.

I would suggest getting certified in the Sound, beautiful! If you get certified there the warm water in Cozumel (around 78-80 in January) should seem much lighter and easier.

Really though getting certified out there with how much time you will be over there should be very easy, even if the harbor closed for a couple days.

I went out last January and I would suggest some sort of boat coat for possible wind and rain.

Back
Top Bottom