Crabs from Florida taste like amonia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did look at the map, the area where blue goes to Port St. Joe/Apalachicola area which is further east than PC.

I don't live in Destin, I'm actually just on the other side of the AL/FL line(on the AL side). I have been diving Destin every other week or so lately and was just throwing out the idea when you mentioned the maroon colored crab.

You're correct, I haven't seen any stonecrabs without the black tips and I generally don't get close enough to see if they have spikes on the segments. When I see these crabs, they are usually well under wreckage or beyond reach in the crevices of rocks.

I dove a local wreck in Gulf Shores last night(7/22) and came upon a very large stone crab that was much lighter than the normal maroon crabs we usually see. I suppose it could have been molting, but it was a tannish/sandy color. This is in Alabama. I went with the intent on spearing some Flounder but let a neophyte friend use my polespear instead - I wish I brought my roomates camera(in retrospect) - that was one of many creatures I would have liked to have gotten a photo of last night.

Anywho... back to your crab? Anything like this? http://www.bertaut.com/6-6-98b.jpg

SuPrBuGmAn:
Anywho... back to your crab? Anything like this? http://www.bertaut.com/6-6-98b.jpg
No, thats the ones you see on the beach right?
The ones I'm talking about, some were even larger than big Stone Crabs. Almost as big as the Dungeness in San Fransisco that I ate a few weeks ago. 1- 1 1/2 lbs. Those are really good.

I've had crabmeat go bad, it had an ammonia smell.

Its doing great, I still haven't gotten to entirely tired of packing it away in my room after washing it down real good :) I suppose one day I'll break down and get a trailer, but its not bothering me too much just yet.

I took it a mile offshore in 3-4 seas not too long ago. Had 3 people and no gear, it didn't really plane out on the way out, but it did on the way in. I can usually get about 3-4 days of 5-6hours of drive time out of the thing with a single tank of gas(2.5gals).

What can I say other than I'm friggin lovin it! :D

Sounds great.

My avon has been been packed away too long. Gona hafta get it out soon.

Regards,

Tobin

QUETZAL:
I harvested several crab claws in Florida a couple of weeks ago. I sat down to eat them tonight but could not eat one particular kind. I got them on a jetty near Panama City in the surf. They were eating on seaweed of some sort. I only took one claw from each, not entire crabs. The largest ones were kind of maroon color. Any suggestions on cooking and not having them taste like Amonia? I still have a few in the freezer.
THE TOP LEFT CLAW IS THE ONE IN QUESTION. RIGHT IS A STONE CRAB FOR COMPARISON. BOTTOM IS A BLUE CRAB, YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO SEE THE BOTTOM ONE.
THANKS ALLEN

Pictures didn't upload.

You should probably turn the caps lock off as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom