Cramps, causes and prevention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Painter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am newly certified and will be taking a dive vacation soon. The last time that I was in the water I began to get cramps in my calves...not too serious, but it took me a minute to be able to climb the ladder. What might be causing my cramps, and what is the best way to prevent them? Doing a search on the forum it looks like fins could have something to do with it. Should I be looking to get new fins? The ones that I have are full foot and were part of a package that I originally bought for snorkelling.

1. Working the muscles harder than they are used to
2. Cold water and the legs getting cold

Can both cause the legs to cramp up.

Assume the dive vacation is in warmer water, which takes care of No. 2.

Exercise helps with No. 1

Relaxing during the dive helps with Dive 1. Stop. Look around. Pushing less wet suit and weight around helps.
Being properly weighted helps.

Then there are the usual have electrolytes and fluids for any type of exercise.

Relax and enjoy the dive. Go at your own pace.

I don't dive without drinking V8 juice. Potassium seems to make a difference for me both while diving and in general.

Any cramps I get which are usually calf but sometimes hamstring are lack of hydration and exercise. I hydrate alot when diving and now increase exercise before dive trips so cramping is not a big issue now. Drinking alot of water on the boat before the dive can cause me heartburn sometimes. I switch fin technique usually between scissor and frog kick to work different muscles. I also kick and glide unless I have to get somewhere fast. I generally dive slow to look at things. I have always used open heel fins so I can't comment on full foot fins. I find if my bouyancy is good then I fin less.

same as above....stretch and hydrate with electrolytes....

Yeah all that stuff (which I do). OR, you could be prone to it by heredity like me. One potassium pill daily cut my cramping by 80% (over the counter, but ask your doctor of course). Vigorously massaging all parts of legs, arms before diving may help (my theory). If you still cramp, stop and do the fin pull method as taught in OW course. If no good, rub hard. If still no good, use non cramping leg to swim. Pull yourself along the bottom (rocks, even sand, etc.) to shore or anchor line. Get to where you can stand and put pressure on leg--get to surface and use compass if possible. If cramp is out, use that leg "weakly". Non use of the leg may return the cramp. If sensing one coming on, frog kicks and arm breast strokes take pressure off the possible cramp area--yes, one CAN use arms in certain circumstances scuba diving, cramps or not. If you sense any possible cramping may happen, adjust dive accordingly--ei., don't wander off too far. Bananas are good too, if you like eating them daily. I switched to split fins, which create less pressure on legs and are apparently better for cramp prevention, at the cost of less speed. I coincidently switched to them about when I started the potassium pills, so can't really confirm that. All of this of course assumes no buddy present to tow you. On courses I'm known as the "Cramp Man".

Last edited:
Some people have limited strength through the range of motion used for fin-swmming. When done correctly, a flutter kick has your toes pointed in line with your lower leg/tibia...as if you were trying to stand on your toes.....
the major propulsion comes from the up and down kicks from this pointed position, which puts a muscular tension on your calves, from this toe pointed position. The problem is, many people just don't do anything from this pointed toe position, so when they use their calf muscles from this angle, there is little strength available --sometimes even little flexibility to allow the full pointing. For the calf muscle to get strength and endurance for fin swimming with the correct toe pointing, an excellent solution is to start riding a bicycle ( either outside or on a trainer) with the seat high enough that you must have your toes pointed at the bottom of the pedal stroke, and then with feet clipped in, the top foot is pushing the pedal forward, while the bottom foot is trying to scrape the sh*t of your shoe ---this is the feeling of how you pull it back. You will find this works all the muscles you need for fin swimming, including your calf muscles, at the correct angle.

You need to begin easy, and not to long per ride, and to work your way to harder and longer workouts.
Calf raises at the gym, where you push the full range from all the way down, to all the way up and toe fully pointed, is excellent also..but this is just the anaerobic development of the muscle ( pure strength for 10 seconds or so), and you still need the aerobic power that you will get from the cycling.

Also....get orthotics for your booties....so that the lever you create with your legs, does not overwhelm a weak base in your foot( where the power must transfer to)....Fins will often crush your arch down, and this ruins the stability of your foot and power use....orthotics will allow you to apply all the power you can handle, without losing it to a foot that is weakened by the arch having been flattened out by the fins, and with the foot no longer being a solid lever.

In ski boots, or running shoes, or roller blades, it is common place to use orthotics for this reason....Dive shops just don't seem to care as much...

I am newly certified and will be taking a dive vacation soon. The last time that I was in the water I began to get cramps in my calves...not too serious, but it took me a minute to be able to climb the ladder. What might be causing my cramps, and what is the best way to prevent them? Doing a search on the forum it looks like fins could have something to do with it. Should I be looking to get new fins? The ones that I have are full foot and were part of a package that I originally bought for snorkelling.

Proper fit is important, though that usually gives you cramps in the feet rather than calves. Softer fins will be easier on the calves by wasting larger portion of the energy -- as long as you don't have to kick against a current that might be an acceptable trade-off. Ditto for splits, they're easier on the sideways wobble.
But mostly it's what everyone else's saying: exercise -- fin kicks specifically, stretch, if you sweat a lot during the workouts: eat more bananas and drink coconut water for extra potassium.

I very recently got orthotics for my booties, as I use them for topside footwear as well. I got them for my plantar faciitis (fallen arches), which doesn't like walking geared up or hauling tanks. Interesting that these in booties may be good for cramping as well--never thought of that. I did cramp in my instep and ankle the first time I used these in the pool, but doubt the orthotics had anything to do with that--I usually get foot cramps in the pool anyway for some reason.

Timely topic. I've been getting foot cramps which I'veattributed to drysuit squeeze, but still get them when recently wetsuit diving.

My fins (F1) don't feel overly snug, and I usually do my (likely poor) imitation of a frog kick. I have a high arch. The cramp usually starts as I ascend. I'll try stretching and massaging prior to the dive, but I'm curious if an arch support might help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom