Cramps during diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Besides bananas, there is a salt substitute that mixes potassium and sodium salts, that could be a source of potassium, and also is better for heart health for some people. Worth researching.

Besides bananas, there is a salt substitute that mixes potassium and sodium salts, that could be a source of potassium, and also is better for heart health for some people. Worth researching.

:vomit: Thank god this is not a real problem for me. Good to hear no one has really had a serious problem with this. :grouphug2:

You can typically push through cramps in the water. It sucks, but you can and they will stop after a few minutes. Or at least that is how it works for me,

I found drinking plenty of electrolytes before and after diving seemed to really help, along with good stretching and using open-heel fins instead of full foot.

I used to cramp quite frequently, usually fairly mildly in the feet or legs, but once both legs went seriously in the calves and ham-strings - total agony :cry: I used my arms to move about but luckily we were ascending and the cramps eased off enough to get back on the boat.

The thing is, well, I could see someone having a huge cramp like that and being unable to signal for help, and drift away/down or panic with the breathing difficulties. It seemed to be an event that could have serious implications. ...

edit I can't explain how much I hate bananas. I think I'm slightly allergic as they make my throat itch.

Cramps in large leg muscles suck. An upside is once you get a bit more used to them they become less scary (though no less sucky).

I had one in a hamstring the other day, it took a couple of minutes before I was able to limp out of the pool. For myself they usually mean I've been skipping the stretching and need to dig out the roller -- see e.g. What Is a Foam Roller, How Do I Use It, and Why Does It Hurt?

Coconut water has tons of potassium, however, that (and bananas) only works if your cramps are due to electrolyte imbalance. For most people it's the matter of conditioning: stretching and exercise.

I get leg cramps...always have, even while diving. When you take your open water course, you will learn to grab the tip of your fin and stretch it out. Once you get control of your buoyancy, its really no big deal. Stretch it out and if it comes back, play the same game.

Preventative measures like electrolytes, water, bananas, potassium supplements, etc seem to help. The preventative measure I have found is coconut water. The stuff is amazing. Above water a big gulp of dill pickle juice or plain yellow mustard seems to provide immediate relief.

My cramps seem to hit usually on the second dive. I now take a few bottles of coconut water and a couple of bananas with me for the surface interval and have been pretty good since. Cramps are no reason not to dive.

Merry Christmas!!

Jay

Best to avoid cramps is to exercise. Build larger, stronger legs. Can't sit in the office and then paddle against current.

I have a beat up left leg and a good hard day of diving and I'm slow as hell in the water the next day and I have had some whopper leg cramps so if I feel like it's going to be one of "those days" I eat bananas that morning they help alot.

Back
Top Bottom