Cramps during diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I predicted, you've gotten all the usual advice. We all say what works for ourselves--for me, the potassium pills (& possibly the split fins). I dive once weekly and almost never have cramps anymore (during or after diving--I wouldn't be worried very much should I have one after the dive...that's just painful, not a big concern like when diving). You have to find what works for you. If you do this, that or the other thing there is no guarantee they will work for you.

When I ride my bike long distances, my buddies will sometimes have severe cramps during the ride. I have only cramped after a looong ride when sitting around. The almost instant cure in both of these instances is todrink pickle juice. It is not the salt or electrolytes in the pickle juice. It is the acid that does the trick. It sends a signal that tells your muscles to chill out and not spasm. It takes like 30 seconds to start working. I have experienced cramps while diving. I will carry pickle juice in my gear bag just for the hell of it.
IMG_1346.JPG

Ever since a major knee reconstruction I have suffered from cramps in my leg. Most of the time I can tell its coming on and switching kicking methods works. If not I have stretched it our myself with the fin tip pull method. A very few times my dive buddy/wife helped stretch my leg out. She knows me well enough to see when the cramp is especially bad and we have worked out before hand a standing signal for and what to do to help.

Hey All,
Thanks for the great info. Pickle juice! Who knew :wink: Most of the other things I do on a regular basis, hydration, stretching, yoga, semi regular exercise-that is always increased prior to diving= I should dive more:p, electrolyte before diving and during SI.

we are going our first dive vacay soon . :) And now I have an arsenal of cures in case I run into this problem.

My dive buddy thinks we need some whiskey for pickle backs at the end of the day....waste of perfectly good whiskey IMHO.

Last edited:
I have occasionally light cramps, and I found supplementing my diet with potassium helpful. I use potassium-based table salt for some of my cooking, and that has helped. Potassium supplements are too low dose to make a difference.

This reminded me of my OW classes... My wife had been certified for a long time and enjoyed hearing about the lessons of the day, like 3 ways to ease a buddies leg cramp :wink: Didn't quite match up to her blind folded, pulling regs out of mouth renegade diver training :) I get hamstring cramps diving occasionally. I can always feel it coming on and stop and massage it out before it really "locks in." For me that is key, catch it early before it becomes a problem.

This reminded me of my OW classes... My wife had been certified for a long time and enjoyed hearing about the lessons of the day, like 3 ways to ease a buddies leg cramp :wink:Didn't quite match up to her blind folded, pulling regs out of mouth renegade diver training :) I get hamstring cramps diving occasionally. I can always feel it coming on and stop and massage it out before it really "locks in." For me that is key, catch it early before it becomes a problem.
Yes, same here. I stop and rub the cramp vigorously. Then proceed using the good leg mostly and the cramped one a little (not using the cramped leg at all may cause the cramp to return). If I can get it before the cramp settles in I'm usually fine.

Reactions: mbs
Can't wait to try the coconut water. Much tastier than pickle juice. Pickle juice does wonders too. But the same acid that's helping has it's flavor issue. Mustard has turmeric in it to make the yellow color. Turmeric is good for all kinds of ailments.

Potassium or a general lack of electrolytes is unlikely the cause of cramps. In particular, if you are having muscle cramps as a result of low potassium levels, then you are also likely to experience some cardiac arrhythmias. Heart muscle relies on the same sodium/potassium electrolyte concentrations as skeletal muscle. Cramps are more likely to occur from a lack of adequate glucose along with muscle fatigue and/or dehydration. The reason bananas are often effective is because they contain quite a bit of sugar. Ensuring that you are hydrated, well fed, and not over exerting the muscles goes a long way towards preventing cramps.

Back
Top Bottom