Cramps during diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Potassium or a general lack of electrolytes is unlikely the cause of cramps. In particular, if you are having muscle cramps as a result of low potassium levels, then you are also likely to experience some cardiac arrhythmias. Heart muscle relies on the same sodium/potassium electrolyte concentrations as skeletal muscle. Cramps are more likely to occur from a lack of adequate glucose along with muscle fatigue and/or dehydration. The reason bananas are often effective is because they contain quite a bit of sugar. Ensuring that you are hydrated, well fed, and not over exerting the muscles goes a long way towards preventing cramps.
I'll take your word for that, but will say that I probably eat enough sugar and never had any heart problems (nor anyone in my ancestry that I know of). But the cramps 98% stopped when I started potassium pills. That's a fact. I assume everyone reading these posts know I and most others profess no medical training.

Hey Tom: I think there was a discussion about this on another thread somewhere before! :) Scientists know that there is a lot of variation in individual physiology. As such, I wouldn't rule out electrolyte imbalance (e.g. potassium deficiency) as a contributor to skeletal muscle cramps without corresponding cardiac problems in some people. During exercise, however, it is quite easy to burn through your carbohydrate reserves if you're not replacing enough during the day through diet. Regardless, I had some discussions about cramps with a friend of mine who is actually a muscle physiologist (I just play one on the internet :wink: ). He was telling me that cramps largely seem to stem from fatigue issues as I mentioned before, but also admitted that we don't have a full understanding of the process. And as I said, given the variation among individuals, if you find something that works for you, then do it! Happy Holidays!

My question is, have you ever “saved” someone that was having a massive cramp? Were they able to notify you, or did you notice them having problems?

I have not saved anyone, but I have had a number of one leg cramps myself. They are annoying indeed, but under water I cannot fall: I just need to maintain depth, straighten that leg (graciously or less graciously), and then perform a relaxed ascent. Once I had a two leg cramp, which was embarrassing: I ended up upside down in strange positions while grabbing my legs to straighten them. Not the most beautiful way of doing a trimix course :D

A person with a leg cramp obviously does not swim with that leg. Either the person only uses one fin (the good leg) or, if the cramp is acute, does not swim forward. The position of the diver is likely to be something else than "perfect trim".

Last edited:
RyanT, Yeah, whatever we does that works. I hope all experiment for "safe" diving. I'm sure the "Cramp" thread will arise again...... TH

:thumb2:
I have not saved anyone, but I have had a number of one leg cramps myself. They are annoying indeed, but under water I cannot fall: I just need to maintain depth, straighten that leg (graciously or less graciously), and then perform a relaxed ascent. Once I had a two leg cramp, which was embarrassing: I ended up upside down in strange positions while grabbing my legs to straighten them. Not the most beautiful way of doing a trimix course :D

A person with a leg cramp obviously does not swim with that leg. Either the person only uses one fin (the good leg) or, if the cramp is acute, does not swim forward. The position of the diver is likely to be something else than "perfect trim".

@Subcooled you made me laugh out loud! Thanks for answering my question, especially as to how a cramping diver looks. Hehehe, not really funny but well, lol :rolleyes:

Hey Tom: I think there was a discussion about this on another thread somewhere before! :) Scientists know that there is a lot of variation in individual physiology. As such, I wouldn't rule out electrolyte imbalance (e.g. potassium deficiency) as a contributor to skeletal muscle cramps without corresponding cardiac problems in some people. During exercise, however, it is quite easy to burn through your carbohydrate reserves if you're not replacing enough during the day through diet. Regardless, I had some discussions about cramps with a friend of mine who is actually a muscle physiologist (I just play one on the internet :wink:). He was telling me that cramps largely seem to stem from fatigue issues as I mentioned before, but also admitted that we don't have a full understanding of the process. And as I said, given the variation among individuals, if you find something that works for you, then do it! Happy Holidays!
As an endurance cyclist, this question comes up often. Most everyone I know thinks that the solution to cramps is to take salt tablets which is really not a good solution. It never seems to work for them but they do it anyway because it is what they were told. The pickle juice always works and once they experience it they become believers. those that don't like the taste try to convince themselves that it's the salt in the pickle juice instead of the acid. Muscle tissue fatigue is a fascinating subject. I am only starting to get into scuba diving and I was surprised to experience cramping while diving since I don't experience it while pedaling. I am usually careful on the bike to consume around 250 cal in simple carbs per hour. I am wondering if overcoming heat loss requires more calories but it is probably just that I have not developed the specific muscle groups for finning and that they are different than what is required for cycling.

Yes, many have said that it's the muscles used when finning that aren't in good enough shape. You may be right about heat loss, though back when I was cramping water temp. didn't seem to be a factor for me. At times I dived in really cold water (wetsuit), like in the 30s F and didn't cramp, yet in Panama I did once in 76F (only a body suit, though).

There are many factors to cramps, but struggling to maintain position or depth will have its effect on muscles (check weights), as will dehydration, cold, and possibly the lack of magic minerals. What could I say? Try to exercise regularly, try to relax the muscles while diving, drink enough water (long term), keep warm under water, eat healthy... My knowledge on minerals is lacking, hence not commenting on that aspect in detail.

I can tell from personal experience that struggling in cold water gives me leg cramps, while not struggling (dehydrated, in cold water) does not. Dehydrated + cold + trouble seems to be a good recipe for cramps (cold can affect the blood circulation of the legs).

Hard sports on dry land, while dehydrated, can also give cramps (I have had some a long time ago). In this case the muscles were warm but the water loss was serious. And yes, hard exercise, again, had taken place.

I have had very few cramps without relatively hard physical stress. One of the more memorable exceptions occurred during an extremely cold night in the woods on 20th march in 1986. I had moderate hypothermia at 01 am (mental capabilities affected) when violent shivering started to turn into abdominal cramps caused by the cold only. But no, not into leg cramps. Given the fact that I ended up in a hospital, I have hard time believing that cold alone would cause leg cramps specifically.

Maybe one affected by leg cramps should improve on technique to relax the muscles in between kicks (and do more sports)? That's what freedivers do. And no, it's not trivial. And if there is not enough fluids flowing through the tissues (dehydration/cold), then things get worse as the muscles cannot recover.

Last edited:
I say put magnets in your bed at night. It's the best solution. Caveat: I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night which gives me the same credentials as most posters so far.

I am only starting to get into scuba diving and I was surprised to experience cramping while diving since I don't experience it while pedaling. ... I am wondering if overcoming heat loss requires more calories but it is probably just that I have not developed the specific muscle groups for finning and that they are different than what is required for cycling.

I find I'm more likely to have a cramp while swimming after I put the bike in storage and start walking to the bus stop and back in winter boots. It gets back to normal after a week or two.

One issue with finning is that hyperstretching the ankle and twisting the foot is not something you do during any other activity. There really isn't a way to work those specific muscles other than swimming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom