Creating a dive computer with Location and Communications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rashly assuming it is, after all, an acoustic modem. Remember that is old ground for the computer and telephone businesses. To rashly oversimplify, the old 300 baud modems had two signal states, high and low. In the evolution to 56k modems, and in the PACTOR IV modems used with HF radio today (even by NATO) they've gotten up to varying the signal 16 ways, so more data can be packed in each cycle. (16 possible states instead of 2.)

But there were pros and cons to every added complication, and I suspect that would also apply to hydro-acoustic modems. Processing power is cheap these days, but still...if you wanted to stick it on someone's wrist instead of their mule, and you were just carrying "text" messages with short data bursts, there might be good reason to intentionally chose a low-overhead protocol. Standards?

Standards only happen when someone like the USN says "Any vendor wanting to contract with us for the sale of goods shall comply with USN Standard No. XYZ."

Which also happens to be why cars and trucks pretty much all have had 12V negative ground electrical systems since WW2. And why they all build oil pressure and are fully operational within seconds after you hit the key. (Thank you, USN Procurement people!)

Rashly assuming it is, after all, an acoustic modem. Remember that is old ground for the computer and telephone businesses. To rashly oversimplify, the old 300 baud modems had two signal states, high and low. In the evolution to 56k modems, and in the PACTOR IV modems used with HF radio today (even by NATO) they've gotten up to varying the signal 16 ways, so more data can be packed in each cycle. (16 possible states instead of 2.)

But there were pros and cons to every added complication, and I suspect that would also apply to hydro-acoustic modems. Processing power is cheap these days, but still...if you wanted to stick it on someone's wrist instead of their mule, and you were just carrying "text" messages with short data bursts, there might be good reason to intentionally chose a low-overhead protocol. Standards?

Standards only happen when someone like the USN says "Any vendor wanting to contract with us for the sale of goods shall comply with USN Standard No. XYZ."

Which also happens to be why cars and trucks pretty much all have had 12V negative ground electrical systems since WW2. And why they all build oil pressure and are fully operational within seconds after you hit the key. (Thank you, USN Procurement people!)

Anyone that praises USN procurement people has never been in the USN-side of a procurement process.

Actually, I have been on the receiving end of a procurement contract and about all I had to do was say "I can deliver that. When do you want how many of them?"

Before the USN standards, cars were a jumble of 6 volt, 12 voltage, positive ground, negative ground, all sorts of schemes that made jump starting and parts purchasing (even a light bulb) a complicated thing. Now? Even Volkswagen changed the Beetle to 12v negative ground, probably the last ones to do so.

So, yes, they can make life complicated. But they also deserve some credit for offering an incentive to END some complications. If you can't meet the terms of a procurement contract, don't play in that game.

Interesting idea... er, ideas. RainPilot has had the most coherent request, so let me add my own list of parameters for the perfect wrist mounted PDC...
  • Normal PDC Functions
    • Time
    • Depth
    • Limits
    • Planning
    • Multi gas
      • NitrOx
      • Trimix
    • Switchable between OC/CC
    • Dive Log
      • Mapping
      • Geotagging
    • Relative
      • Point of origin (beacon?)
      • Buddy
  • Communications
    • Buddy (Diving)
      • Quick Responses
      • Text Messaging
    • Social Media (Surface interval)
      • Connect via built in NIC
      • Ability to browse ScubaBoard and FB
      • Upload selected profiles of a dive
    • Fischer Cable (Wireless connection?)
  • Camera
  • Games (for long azz decos
  • Kindle

Need your thoughts on if the device is better as a forearm or wrist worn device or one which is put away and retrieved when needed. As ppl already have diver computers on the wrist it might be cumbersome to have a dive computer and a comms device together. So we are thinking that it might be better to have the device stowed elsewhere and retrieved when needed. Also the device can then be held in front of the diver like a small swim board when doing nav and comms functions. I appreciate comments on this.

It seams to me that one should measure forces based on a stable platform. IE the sensors attached to the tank where they will remain somewhat in the same orientation. a wrist mount has to keep track of the measuring platform and know its aspect prior to applying the force motion changes provided by the acelerometers. the wrist unit can only be a display to work the best. imagine trying to scull water while moving and the unit having to keep up with where north is. befor it can apply the direction and speed forces of horizontal down range movement.

Last I heard, even the USN and NOAA couldn't figure out how to get a 1km communication range, much less a position fix, underwater. And they'd both gladly pay five grand for piece for wristwatches that could do that job.

It would be nice if the OP could provide a little information as to why this isn't just a blue sky speculation for a device that isn't physically possible.

This can be done, jsut not from the wrist watch. you have the watch communicate with a mounted transponder say strapped to the tank. Kind of like a can light battery. the watch tells the can the data like the tank presssure sensor tells the watch. the can then repeats the xmission at high power you could go miles wtth that.

I would be only interested in the GPS function. I like to roam and browse and having a function to point me back directly to my entry point would be great. Communications, not so much. I dive almost exclusively solo. And for communications wouldn't both divers need the same computer?

Sorry if this repeats earlier posts. Don't have time to wade through the entire thread.

I would be only interested in the GPS function. I like to roam and browse and having a function to point me back directly to my entry point would be great. Communications, not so much. I dive almost exclusively solo. And for communications wouldn't both divers need the same computer?

Sorry if this repeats earlier posts. Don't have time to wade through the entire thread.

Yes they would have to be the same computer. Until exchanged data format becomes standardized. Being the first is a big step towards being the standard.

I would support the notion that the diver probably does not gain a lot of advantage from such a product. But I could see a use in a dive boat being able to track the divers in the water (potentially including depth, gas remaining, deco obligation) and maybe have a way to transmit text messages to the divers in the water. Honestly, I don't see myself typing T9 messages with dry gloves but maybe press a yes/no button.

Great to see the Chairman contribute. Long wish list tho :) Ok the game is going to be "Spot the Chairman"
Stay tuned for the website launch soon which will have more info...

Back
Top Bottom