Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how lawyers and the US Constitution got dragged into all this, but some of the comments seemed odd. Of course the Constitution does not address the issue of proper behavior for lawyers, just as it does not address the proper behavior of architects. The Constitution does guarantee a significant list of personal and political protections in the Bill of Rights, and in several Amendments subsequent to those first ten.

Lawyers simply speak for individuals. That's what advocate means. They represent and present the position of an individual within the legal system. It seems to me that it is prosecutors who do most of the suppressing and distorting of evidence. It's usually a pretty unequal contest for the average defendant, considering the vast resources of police and prosecutors. As some prosecutors have pointed out, it's easy to convict a guilty defendant. A really skilled prosecutor is able to convict innocent defendants as well. And they do. It's all about winning.

boulderjohn:
That is, the misrepresent the opposing argument in order to shoot it down.
Yes... there are a lot of straw men scattered all over this thread.

The advice you gave to the young man was sound. Best to consult both sides of an issue and let each side speak for itself... if one wants to find the truth of a matter.

agilis:
It's all about winning.
That is the unfortunate reality, agilis... and not just in criminal cases. Governance and statesmanship are ignored in the pursuit of political victory and power.

Creation vs. Evolution? Science vs. Religion?

Those who see a war to be fought and won between science and religion are seeing a feint. The conflict lies in and is due to the politics.

Better to seek the truth of a matter than to seek to win an argument. Truth has no argument with truth.

boulderjohn:
Somehow it reminds of a story from the days I used to teach students how to do research papers.

i used to teach college.

after i stopped teaching college, i realized i didn't know as much as i thought i did.

now that i am in a different field, i remind myself constantly that i dont know as much as i think i know.

keep your ears open. you might hear something that may get you thinking. and thinking is the most dangerous thing anyone can do.

Andy,

I know this is off-topic, but I just wanted you to know that I really enjoy the cubaland link in your signature. I've always been fascinated with Cuba, and the blog is a terrific insight. Are you the author, or just a connection?

Now, back to the previous discussions.

Thanks.

OHGoDive:
Are you the author, or just a connection?

oh wow, thank you!

unless i quote the source, it's my own writing. i write about 1/2 of the stuff, and pull the rest from news sources.

(again, thank you)

OHGoDive:
Andy,

I know this is off-topic, but I just wanted you to know that I really enjoy the cubaland link in your signature. I've always been fascinated with Cuba, and the blog is a terrific insight. Are you the author, or just a connection?

Now, back to the previous discussions.

Thanks.

I'd like to second that sentiment. I was reading it the other day... and then saw news stories later that day that I read first on your page :)

DiverBry:
I'd like to second that sentiment.

ok, this is a cruel hoax ... later you'll tell me Uncle Pug paid you to make me believe i was all that :wink:

seriously, thank you

H2Andy:
ok, this is a cruel hoax ... later you'll tell me Uncle Pug paid you to make me believe i was all that :wink:

seriously, thank you

Nope! Its true. :)

I read in a previous post that you learned English at age 12 or something like that? Did you move to the USA around that age? I wouldn't have guessed you hadn't spoken English your entire life :)

DiverBry:
I read in a previous post that you learned English at age 12 or something like that? Did you move to the USA around that age? I wouldn't have guessed you hadn't spoken English your entire life :)

again, thank you!

yeah, i came to the US when i was 13 and learned English here ... took me about two years to be really fluent, but i could get by in about five months... kids just pick languages up fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom