Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
venturediver:
I have a question. If the theory that man evolved from apes
One of the most common misconceptions in the whole argument... the theory of evolution says, rather, that man and apes evolved from a common ancestor. There is a difference.
I for one have no problem reconciling the evolutionary process - basically one of selection - with the fact that God created life. How He went about developing man is an interesting but ultimately unimportant question. Somewhere along the way He put Himself in us in a conscious way, and called those folks Adam and Eve.
Who are we to question how - or why - He does it? The things He does are statistically impossible, but they are there nonetheless.
The evidence is that He is still refining, still selecting, still evolving life here, and likely elsewhere.
He'll let us all in on the details when it's time.
In the meantime he has created the Wonders of the Deep for us to enjoy :)
Be thankful; go diving; be amazed; enjoy them; don't sweat it.
Rick

Diver Dennis:
What do you mean we haven't seen? Have we not seen bacteria evolve into drug resistant strains?

Do we consider evolving and mutating the same thing? I may be wrong, but it was my understanding that say when Staph is exposed to pennicillin for an extended period of time, it does not evolve into a different bacteria, it just develops defense mechanisms to counteract the effects of the antibiotics. Kinda like bears hibernating in the winter to defend themselves against the harsh environment. ( Very loose analogy.)

venturediver:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to totally discredit evolution. I'm just implying that based on my studies and beliefs, it is not the sole answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything.
No, it's not. But it is the answer to the Origin of Species.

venturediver:
Do we consider evolving and mutating the same thing?
Yep... pretty much.
Rick

Rick, I agree with you. God created life. God is in control of what life does and when it does it. How he has chosen to make life work is beyond my meager grasping abilities. I'll ask him when I see him. Until then, I'll just be thankful he thought to include me.

Rick Murchison:
One of the most common misconceptions in the whole argument... the theory of evolution says, rather, that man and apes evolved from a common ancestor. There is a difference.
I for one have no problem reconciling the evolutionary process - basically one of selection - with the fact that God created life. How He went about developing man is an interesting but ultimately unimportant question. Somewhere along the way He put Himself in us in a conscious way, and called those folks Adam and Eve.
Who are we to question how - or why - He does it? The things He does are statistically impossible, but they are there nonetheless.
The evidence is that He is still refining, still selecting, still evolving life here, and likely elsewhere.
He'll let us all in on the details when it's time.
In the meantime he has created the Wonders of the Deep for us to enjoy :)
Be thankful; go diving; be amazed; enjoy them; don't sweat it.
Rick

You make a very good point, but you know how God made man; from dirt and a rib. :wink:

I appreciate all of the comments to this thread. I just want to see what opinions were out there. Thank y'all. No hard feelings. And may God bless y'alls life! :)

yup. look at regressive evolution. those jellies at jellyfish lake.

you know how God made man; from dirt and a rib.

some people are more literal....some people think that might be a little loosely wrapped.

One can quibble about the accuracy of such a definition (and we have often quibbled on these newsgroups) but it also conveys the essence of what evolution really is. When biologists say that they have observed evolution, they mean that they have detected a change in the frequency of genes in a population. (Often the genetic change is inferred from phenotypic changes that are heritable.) When biologists say that humans and chimps have evolved from a common ancestor they mean that there have been successive heritable changes in the two separated populations since they became isolated.

Link: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolution-definition.html

So it seems that evolution can be described as inheritable genetic changes.

Mutation is the clay, evolution is the sculpting.

Lost_At_Sea:
So "Mr. Evolutionist," what are the odds that man evolved into what we are today, just so happens that one male and one female evolved at the same time and just happened to figure out reproduction. So now tell me the odds of that actually happening instead of two males or two females being evolved? Do you actually think we came from nothing into what we are today? The odds are too great against us.

Have you looked at National Geographics Genealogy project?

http://reference.aol.com/natgeo/_a/gene-project-to-trace-humanitys/20050413141909990001

What is the likelihood of that??

You are talking about odds. That does NOT argue for creationism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom