Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so we all agree that the Bible is poorly translated. I wonder why God doesn't just appoint another prophet and issue an errata document?

Well, they are working on a Bible2 with updated tables, algorithms, and interface instead of updating the code inside the old one. Gotta keep those local Bible shops in business with that competition from those guys at BiblePro on the internet.

Actually yes!
I fully expected someone to point that out, thereby showing themselves to fit the mold of the person Baumgardner was writing about. As did the one attempting to hehe "debunk"? the math.

Of course Thall fell for it as always. Like shooting fish in a barrel.
That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard for being farm animal stupid! "Oh" the DP said, "I intended to be a complete and utter idiot ... ain't I smart? "

Beyond belief! I knew that Baumgardner was a complete moron, and I suspected that you were ... thanks for confirming.

How do *you* explain the dozen or so different versions, then?

I could probably answer better if you were more specific but if you look at various translations you don't see significant changes in content. What you primarily see is attempts to make it more readable by reflecting changes in language useage.

However, there are a couple of different translation methodologies. Most differences in modern translations are due to the way the tranlstors view the task of translation rather than to manuscript differences. For example, does the translator use a more literal translation or paraphrase? Sometimes there's a trade-off between preserving original information and readability. Of course, in some instances, a direct literal translation just isn't possible.

There are also different source texts with differences such as the omission of a word or clause or two paragraphs in the Gospels. My NKJV, for example, contains notes indicating points of variation and what the variation is. Still, the degree of agreement is very high...amazingly high considering age and how the text was handed down prior to the advent of printing.

If you're really interested you might start by picking up a couple of Bibles and looking through the preface. Some of them give quite a bit of information about the source texts and translation methods used.

Actually yes!
I fully expected someone to point that out, thereby showing themselves to fit the mold of the person Baumgardner was writing about. As did the one attempting to hehe "debunk"? the math.

Of course Thall fell for it as always. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Would Jesus lie to cover up a mistake?

Would Jesus lie to cover up a mistake?

Jesus doesn't make mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom