Cricket Churping Sound under water?!?!?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaycen2001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What the heck is it? I live on the Coast of North Carolina. today i was Spear Fishing on a Wreck right off the beach. about 15 feet of water. and all day i heard this cricket chirping sound! what fish would make that noise? it wasn't dolphin cause i know what they sound like. it was coming from the wreck because as soon as I left the wreck i couldn't hear it anymore. No boats were in the area. it sounded Just like a cricket.What the heck was it??

We dive in a Lake every weekend here and we hear some strange noises sometimes. We dive one spot and its really loud. Next spot may not hear it at all.

We have asked people around here and they say it is a DRUM, which has rocks in their heads that they rub together, I don't know. Haven't cut one open to see. LOL

Our game and fish says this is a Rough Fish.

I know you dont know of anything like this more than likely in NC, but I know what you mean about the noises, lol.

I hope one day to see the big fellow that is making all those noises, and just hope i have my spear gun when i do, lol.

I know down here in Florida when you come up on some growth on the bottom you can hear the shrimp eating. They are pretty loud, I bet that is what you are hearing.

this sounded Exactly like a cricket chirping. not close too, not similar, Exactly. i thought it was coming from a boat somehow, but there wasn't a boat anywhere to be seen.

Weird

Could be shrimp

Could also be parrot fish (they make a sound when scrapping algae off rocks, etc.

Might be some stuff on or in the wreck rubbing with the surge.

We dive in a Lake every weekend here and we hear some strange noises sometimes. We dive one spot and its really loud. Next spot may not hear it at all.

We have asked people around here and they say it is a DRUM, which has rocks in their heads that they rub together, I don't know. Haven't cut one open to see. LOL

Drums make noise with their swim bladders. They use their abdominal muscles against the swim bladders to make the noise.

Our game and fish says this is a Rough Fish.

I know you dont know of anything like this more than likely in NC, but I know what you mean about the noises, lol.

I hope one day to see the big fellow that is making all those noises, and just hope i have my spear gun when i do, lol.

There are saltwater drums as well.

I know what parrot fish sound like, and we dont really have them here. and i know what drum sound like and its not them cause i was hearing Them today when i went out. I kinda think it might have been surge related, something on the wreck "whistling" I guess. I have just never heard that noise before it its really intrigued me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom