Cross training questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DO JUDO; Combined with one gym session a week, it will get you super fit, super strong and will make you a man......

I get to the pool and swim 2000 yds to 3000 yds Mon through Fri. and then do crossfit on the days the web site specifies. I have always written my own workouts until I came across crossfit. After work I get the bike (road or mountain) out or run depending on the day. "Taper when needed" I have substituted my resistance training to crossfit and it has made a huge difference. I noticed a big drop in air consumption at 80 ft plus. When I train for triathlon I noticed a jump in power over all. Good training.

Since it's been mentioned a couple of times, a little note on Crossfit. It's not just a new workout plan or fitness class, it's a methodology! Crossfit is a 'general preparedness program' and you can do it as prescribed {and that works great}, but if you have specific needs or goals it is highly adaptable and can still retain the core of the methodology. Basically:

~ every time you workout, go as fast - strong -hard as you can
~ avoid repetition
~ try everything, olyimpic lifts, gymnastics, plyometrics, running, swimming, biking, etc, etc, etc
~ avoid repetition
~ work on your weaknesses, don't worry Crossfit will help identify them
~ avoid repetition
~ eat right, rest properly
~ your workout imagination is your friend, repetition is your enemy

How to get started on Crossfit? First go the web site {www.crossfit.com} and start reading the "Start Here" section, then start working out. Take a look at the scaled workouts to start with. Also sign on to the online forum {it's sort of like scubaboard, but for fitness ~ a good read}, then read lots and ask questions. See if there is a Crossfit facility near you and visit them. Even if you don't want to be a regular member of the facility, visit them and stop by now and then. I've visited a few and they are were all good places.

A work of caution, this is old school fitness. A lot of hard work, sweat and grit. You will have fun, but pay for it with improved fitness. There is no cardio step class, row upon row of machines, people talking on their cell phones while working out. What you will see is a highly motivated group of people {from all walks of life ~ just like diving}, working hard, helping each other, loud music, odd pieces of 'fitness' equipment and writing on the walls!

Good luck and enjoy.

diver daver put into words better than I what crossfit is. Thanks daver. He is wright on the mark repetition is the enemy and one of my earlier posts sounds like irobot. Like he said the proscribe program works great. I found it easier to lay it out that way. There is no way to really portray my or my teams work out on one post. I generalized it for the sake of space. Bad move. But it got diver davers attention and he layed it out for us. Good job! Crossfit is the "methodology" I use over all training myself and my team. And as the original question was raised this was my advice and it got some great responses. Outstanding y'all!!!

Yay, running, haha, I know it's good for you, but it tends to be a little boring, trail running though, that's a different story.
As for the rock climbing, I don't have access to a wall or anything very often, so any ideas? I've been looking in to those training boards, with the different holds and all, do they do any good?
Well anyway, thanks for the advice, if you can think of anything else, let me know.

Like several people have already said, Crossfit is the best all around training you can get.

As far as climbing specific training goes, there really is no better training than climbing. Hangboards are good for supplemental training for people who are already climbing, but I would not recommend trying to subsitute a hangboard for wall/crag time. They're dangerous enough for people who have already strengthened the climbing specific tendons, trying to train on just a hangboard would be bad news for your fingers. Also you wouldn't get any work on technique, body placement, weight shifting, etc. Climbing is so much more than strength alone.

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions, I'll have to check out crossfit, but yeah, thanks for all the feedback

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom