Crossover point from PADI TEC certification to TDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard Tomlinson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I recently did PADI EAD and PADI TEC40, and would like to do further tec training. However, I am leaning towards crossing over to TDI certification, partly because it is more available than PADI where I live (France), partly because it seems more grounded in tec diving, and partly because of ease of online certification verification (PADI make you pay again for an "e-card").

There is not a direct correspondence between PADI and TDI courses, so if I were to crossover now to TDI, where would I enter into their certification? Would I be able to go straight to TDI Trimix? Or would it be better to complete PADI TEC45 then cross over?

Last edited:
Probably start with Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures or helitrox

Last edited:
Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures are usually taught together in the TDI system and are the equivalent of PADI tec 45. Some instructors will also teach Helitrox/Deco Procedures which is the same number of dives (6) as AN/DP, but the last two are on low levels of helium. Helitrox allows up to 20% of helium and no lower than 21% O2 with a 150 depth limit. It was designed to give divers who wanted an added level of safety against narcosis an option while also getting them exposed to helium.

Some divers also use it to go slightly past 150, while still maintaining a shallower equivalent narcotic depth, but it is technically against standards.

There's no direct equivalency at Tec40. The first common level is Tec45, which is equivalent to AN/DP.

As far as I'm aware, you have a choice of doing Tec45 before crossing to TDI for Extended Range training... or start again with TDI by completing AN/DP.

There's no direct equivalency at Tec40. The first common level is Tec45, which is equivalent to AN/DP.

As far as I'm aware, you have a choice of doing Tec45 before crossing to TDI for Extended Range training... or start again with TDI by completing AN/DP.

Thank you - that is what I was concluding too having read the syllabi of both courses, but thanks for the confirmation.

There is no requirement to ever do Extended Range. He could do Tec 45 or AN/DP (either one) and then go straight to TDI Trimix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom