Cruise Ship schedule to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you don't want cruisers perhaps you should consider utila instead. .

Nothing against Utila, its a great place yet it seems many living and in business there have little to no clue about Roatan. There are plenty of places on Roatan not affected at all by cruisers, many places not catering to them or inviting them in for the day. Sure, If your on the most popular most touristy beach you will have plenty but Roatan is pretty spread out. Even AKR tht caters to them in numerous places has different boats for the cruise buisiness. Any given week I might see one or two small groups of cruisers on scooters pass my place, usually they are lost and turn around near my drive where the road is rough and when the dogs get a little excited

The wife and I have done a number of cruises as well as direct island vacations. Our first trip to Roatan I was a bit concerned about cruise traffic as well. We spent a week at AKR, as RTB mentions caters to cruise passangers, and a week checking out the rest of the island. Other then a little increase in traffic on the main road from Coxen to West End we never really knew the cruise ships were there. AKR does a very good job of separating the cruisers from the "stayers". Other then a couple of folks standing on the dock with that confused tourist look you wouldn't know they were there. If you want to drive thru Coxen and down by the port on a ship day there is a lot of foot traffic folks but get out away from it and you won't know the boats are in.
A lot of rambling to say I wouldnt' worry about the cruise ship schedule.

Ignore this part of Steves post, Next to West Bay there is no place more popular with cruisers than West End once they leave the immediate port areas
Only during the day...:wink:

They all seemed to be heading to West Bay also...

Where will you be staying? That would assist in the recommendations so you won't have to travel far.

I think you said you go to Cozumel didn't you?

Cozumel is the number 1 cruise ship destination in the Caribbean. Cozumel can get more cruise ships in port in a single day then Roatan sees in a week. If you are surviving Cozumel, Roatan is nothing to worry about. The last thing I would ever be letting influence my vacation decisions on Roatan is cruise ship passengers, they simply are a non-issue. You said you wanted to do 3 dives a day, if that's the case by the time you get back from your afternoon dive anyone from a cruise ship will have disappeared anyways.

i just noticed you're on roatan at easter, so i think the cruise ship crowds will be the least of your problems. the week you're visiting is the busiest week of the year with many american and canadians visiting for spring break and literally thousands of honduran and other central americans celebrating semana santa. unless you plan to head to the eastern end of the island, crowds will be impossible to avoid, sorry.

Where is Bananarama Dive Resort - since on their website they seem to cater to cruise ships.

We have 30-40 dives; but I still want a dive center that will take good care of him.

I would check out West End Divers (www.westenddivers.info). We always dive with them. They only employ instructors and they dive in groups of no more than 6 divers per instructor. Staff are AWESOME!

I'm a Bananaramadive fan ... be there tomorrow afternoon! And I really enjoy the dive staff and snorkeling right off the beach during non-dive times.

That being said, they do cater to the cruise ship crowd when they're in. Bananarama is on West Bay.

When I'm diving, the cruise ship crowd is there after we're out and gone when I'm done diving for the day. When the crowd is there between dives, the staff treat the guests preferentially with both seating and serving so its not that big a deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom