Cruise Ship schedule to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkornfeld

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to avoid the cruise ships at Roatan if possible. My trip is between March 31st to April 8th. Can anyone advise?

I had a great time in Utila, the corals aren't as good but between the two islands you have great chances to see whale sharks (you're going in the right season).

Not sure about live a borads although there were a few clubs that offered that...
be sure to check out the submarine in Roatan... google it.

Also you might enjoy this little video:
Nature's dentists- Two Cleaner Wrasse Fish cleaning diver's teeth in the red sea!

Have fun!

It's pretty easy to avoid Cruise Ships and anyone who gets off of them. Just stay away from the town of Coxen Hole and the Cruise Ship port, or Mahogany Bay.

Cruise ship people may venture over to West End to do some diving, have a few drinks, do some shopping, and sit on the beach, but it's not as if they will intrude upon your sanity. They leave by early afternoon.

Some AI resorts live for Cruise Ship passengers, some do better jobs than others to keep everyone apart. Some day-dive ops on West End specifically cater to Cruise Ships- check websites to see their main thrust.

What were your concerns and where were you intending to stay and dive?

Last edited:
Stay in the West End. It's the opposite side of the island so there's minimal involvement with cruise traffic there. We dove with Coconut Tree the last week of March a couple of years ago and had one cruise diver on one morning dive all week. I'd even think AKR - the cruise operator - would be doable as it appeared that they segregated the cruise divers from the guests. We saw them all board the bus after a dive - they were all on their own boat. Kind of crowded in the gift shop for a few minutes though...

I don't think Cocoview gets much cruise traffic either. Doc^ would know.

Capture.JPG

No ships in 3/31 either.

Where is Bananarama Dive Resort - since on their website they seem to cater to cruise ships.

I really need some recommendations on the right dive center that would be good for me and my 15 year old son. We have 30-40 dives; but I still want a dive center that will take good care of him.

Stay in the West End. It's the opposite side of the island so there's minimal involvement with cruise traffic there. .

Ignore this part of Steves post, Next to West Bay there is no place more popular with cruisers than West End once they leave the immediate port areas

.... We have 30-40 dives; but I still want a dive center that will take good care of him.

Were you thinking of hiring a private DM or putting him in continuing education SCUBA classes?

You may be laboring under a mis-perception of what dive professionals will do for you once you are away from your certifying Local Dive Shop in San Diego. When you hit "the tropics", the role of a DM usually runs the full gamut between watching you fall in the water to being an underwater naturalist guide, carrying your gear, helping your buoyancy, or having a crack at your girlfriend. It's all over the place.

Do not count on anyone to attend to further dive training unless that's what you have specifically engaged them to do. Of course, most DMs will assist the new diver and try to keep you alive, but unless you've hired your own DM, don't count on that specifically focused attention or anything else.

This is the case wherever you go in this world. Once you have changed or severed your instructional relationship with a dive professional, have no expectations.

Many dive ops put actual Instructors in the water to act as DMs because of staffing needs (a small shop, with a few employees performing duplicate roles). Again, do not assume that they are wearing any particular hat, nor should you assume what role a "Dive Boat DM" will perform.

Look at Barefoot Divers. I have been there for the last four years. They always have two DM's on the dive. One leading and one following and watching. Small groups of usually not more than 6-8 divers. Very safety oriented.

Thanks.... I'm not looking for more training for my son. I"m just looking for a dive operation that is young adult friendly and cater to small groups. So I'm looking for recommeenations like "Barefoot Divers".

On the cruise issue; I'm not a bit confused how to stay out of their way :)

if you don't want cruisers perhaps you should consider utila instead. the diving is on par with roatan plus you may get the chance to snorkel with a whale shark. the crowd on utila is an eclectic mix but mostly young, very friendly mix of many nationalities, your son will have a blast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom