Cuba Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He just uses too much air (bevore, he was breething from my tank). He doesnt need the second tank every dive, but it's saver and more relaxed to take it. He uses this configuration since allmost 10 years and I allways check, if it's okay for the company we dive with when we plan to there.
Greetings from snowy Vienna!

How does he carry the two tanks with him underwater? Sidemount or doubles on his back?

As in backmount double tanks or as in sidemount with two tanks?
It's a "normal" jacket, one tank where it belongs on the back, second tank attached to the side of the jacket with a rigging. He needs a lot of air.
Greetings
Andrea

I was there in June last year. Avalon liveaboard is good dive operator.

Sorry for not writing the trip report, yet. I’ve been too busy going from one trip to another. Made 12 dive trips last year, half of them were rescheduled trips that got cancelled in 2020 & 2021 due to Covid. I still have 1 rescheduled trip in April and another one in February 2024.

I’m currently on my 2nd dive trip this year. However, I am slowing down this year. I plan to just do 6 dive trips. Hopefully I have time to write the Cuba trip report.

Just ask what you want to know specifically and I’ll dig out my notes on the subject.

This YouTube video is pretty much what you would experience in the Garden of the Queen. A lot of Grey Reef sharks would be following you like puppy dogs, to get lion fish handout from DMs.

Very beautiful there, that's why I really want to go. When you went, did you also book through Avalon? Was it already in the possession of All Star or did that change very recently? I'm not sure if thats of any concern, but: If All Star bought them right now they might have new staff, dive guides etc., that's maybe not the same as a long term crew. This could be overtly concerned from my side, but I make quite an investigation to find the right boat (in my younger years I didn't, and had some surprises...)
Greetings from Vienna
Andrea

Very beautiful there, that's why I really want to go. When you went, did you also book through Avalon? Was it already in the possession of All Star or did that change very recently? I'm not sure if thats of any concern, but: If All Star bought them right now they might have new staff, dive guides etc., that's maybe not the same as a long term crew. This could be overtly concerned from my side, but I make quite an investigation to find the right boat (in my younger years I didn't, and had some surprises...)
Greetings from Vienna
Andrea
I booked my trip through @aquabluegreg of Liquid Diving Adventures.

Looks like he has some good deals, the same $1000 off as what I got last time, Cuba - Avalon Outdoor - $1000 off Feb-May 2023

I don’t know about All Star relationship with Avalon. DM @aquabluegreg for details.

We’ve used Blue Water Travel. The important difference to understand with the Avalon fleet (6 boats) is that final boat assignment is not done until the month of the sailing with changes possible even at the last minute. Depending on the cabin category booked, this can also impact the boat you are put onto.

The bottom of this page shows the boats in the fleet. Also notable is that the boats can be a mix of divers and sport fly-fisherman (catch and release and on separate skiffs/sites) on some sailings as they host both.

We’ve used Blue Water Travel. The important difference to understand with the Avalon fleet (6 boats) is that final boat assignment is not done until the month of the sailing with changes possible even at the last minute. Depending on the cabin category booked, this can also impact the boat you are put onto.

The bottom of this page shows the boats in the fleet. Also notable is that the boats can be a mix of divers and sport fly-fisherman (catch and release and on separate skiffs/sites) on some sailings as they host both.

Your information (and the website) is 2 years old.

When I say that 3 of the boats are being booked/managed by Aggressor (in 2 different destinations) and 3 by All Star Liveaboards, I know the owners of both All Star as well as Aggressor Fleet and am on a first name basis with them.

Yes, they are all owned by the owners of Avalon. But one of these things is not like the other.

Your information (and the website) is 2 years old.

When I say that 3 of the boats are being booked/managed by Aggressor (in 2 different destinations) and 3 by All Star Liveaboards, I know the owners of both All Star as well as Aggressor Fleet and am on a first name basis with them.

Yes, they are all owned by the owners of Avalon. But one of these things is not like the other.
Well… having just gotten off the phone with them while booking, I wouldn’t say it’s all outdated. If you have a better link on the Avalon fleet/bookings I’m sure members would appreciate your posting. Thanks.

Well… having just gotten off the phone with them while booking, I wouldn’t say it’s all outdated. If you have a better link on the Avalon fleet/bookings I’m sure members would appreciate your posting. Thanks.
Apologies, I thought I had posted above.

Jardines Aggressor II, Listed on the Blue Water Dive and Travel site as Jardines Avalon II, may be booked directly at Aggressor.com https://www.aggressor.com/boat/JAII It dives Gardens of the Queen.

Jardines Aggressor I, listed on the Blue Water Dive and Travel site as Jardines Avalon I, dives Bay of Pigs/Zapata, and may be booked directly at Aggressor.com https://www.aggressor.com/boat/JAI

Jardines Avalon II, III, and IV are not specifically shown on the Blue Water Dive and travel site, as you do not know what vessel you are on until you arrive. These may booked directly with the booking company (All Star Liveaboards) at All Star Avalon II Vessel Features, Photos + Deck Plans. They show the vessels on their site, but they are not named.

Jardines Aggressor I, listed on the Blue Water Dive and Travel site as Jardines Avalon I, dives Bay of Pigs/Zapata, and may be booked directly at Aggressor.com https://www.aggressor.com/boat/JAI
Does anyone have any recent experience (say, last 5 years?) on the Zapata itinerary? I read some older (brief) reports saying the reef was nice but somewhat fished out.

Back
Top Bottom