Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hwd-jeff

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Were planning on a trip to cuba to go to Sandalls all inclusive in Varadero. Anybody been to Cuba, how did you deal with the pasport issue???????

Nope Americans are not allowed. Can't wait until this out of date, useless embargo is over.

We went to Varadero in '03. I had a hotplate which was probably over 30 years old for boiling shells--worth nothing. A big stink at Cuban Customs to the tune of 2 hours (holding up the entire tourist bus to Varadero). I watched while one guy filled out a form in English One -- Letter -- At --A-- Time. Then they told me I could get the valuable item back between 9-4 P.M. Mon.-Fri. there at the Havana Airport (a long bus ride from Varadero). I said "How can I re-claim this (if I wanted to) and take it with me back to Varadero if it is illegal to take into Cuba in the first place?" He said "We can arrange a way". Now, let me tell you about my 1984 experience being interregated 4 days in the U.S.S.R. for having geographical maps (I was later on natl. TV back in Canada). AND how we got a ride from Varadero across to Cardenas (home of Elian Gonzalez--remember him?), how La Policia stopped the car of our resort waitress freind we made--on our return trip with her to Varadero-to the tune of extorting $50 from her while toting rifles. But I did enjoy the snorkelling in Vara. and heard the diving down in Ciefuegos was quite good. Good luck. Esta algunos peligrosos con la Communistas.

just pretty much don't go to cuba. it's a terrorist country, you can't do anything without telling the government. you can't just go and 'tour the country,' or 'see the scenery,' as you would in literally ANY other country.

don't go to cuba.

well a simple solution if you are sold on Cuba is go to Mexico or Canada then hop a flight over. Id be a little weary of going there though as pretty much the government propaganda is that Americans are the reason we are in the state we are in.

Most Cubans are good people in that they are simple people living simple lives but still one bad thing go really bad its not like visiting another country. You wont have American consolute support

Under the law, US citizens and resident aliens may not spend money in Cuba unless issued a license from the Treasury Department. In 2007 (under the prior administration), the Treasury Department began a program to identify Americans and resident aliens traveling to Cuba from other countries using airline passenger lists. Identified Americans and resident aliens were then issued pre-penalty letters. The fines averaged over $7,000, but could go up to criminal charges and a 10-year prison term and a fine of $250,000. About 500 of these letters were issued in the first part of 2007. Statistics have not been published since then.

just pretty much don't go to cuba. it's a terrorist country, you can't do anything without telling the government. you can't just go and 'tour the country,' or 'see the scenery,' as you would in literally ANY other country.

don't go to cuba.

Turn of Fox and Rush there buddy. If Cuba is a terrorist country, then you better include Southern Florida in that list. :shakehead:

Like everyone said, American's can't go to Cuba and the possible fines and penalties are pretty stiff.

With that said, fly to Mexico, or some other country that has open relations with Cuba and fly one of their airlines to Cuba.

Under the law, US citizens and resident aliens may not spend money in Cuba unless issued a license from the Treasury Department. In 2007 (under the prior administration), the Treasury Department began a program to identify Americans and resident aliens traveling to Cuba from other countries using airline passenger lists. Identified Americans and resident aliens were then issued pre-penalty letters. The fines averaged over $7,000, but could go up to criminal charges and a 10-year prison term and a fine of $250,000. About 500 of these letters were issued in the first part of 2007. Statistics have not been published since then.

How can the US preach democracy to the rest of the world while criminalizing it's citizens for traveling to another country. The embargo is in place because a bunch of old immigrants in Miami with political clout want it to be. It accomplishes nothing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom