Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all Cuba is like any other third world country. It's what you make of it. American's are not allowed to go there. us policy. Mexico or Canada dose not work because Cubda will stamp you'r passport on arrival wich you do not want. Reason next time you use your passport from the US they me see Cuba stamp!! I have always gone in by private boat. I have never had a problem and I love Cuba. Things will start to change the Cuban people have delt with a lot.
Anyway I don't think I would fly in unless it's a private plane and air strip. Do not get a cuban stamp in your passport. This is my experience frist hand. I have made 10 trips over the years. I don't do the tourist stuff. Eric:crafty:

The embargo should end. Simply because it's been over 50 years. A big reason it was put in place besides communism was beacause Fidel confiscated land and other stuff Americans owned. However, going back in time because of that is like Saddam saying Kuwait was part of Iraq 100 years ago--or that we Canadians (and Americans?) should give back all the land to the native people because they "owned" it all before Europeans came. Too much time has passed. On the other hand, the U.S. takes it in the neck for not trading with Cuba to help out the Cuban citizens, who are very poor. The U.S. has no responsibility to trade with any country it doesn't want to, as I'm sure many countries don't trade with certain others for various reasons. Cuba trades with Canada and many other places anyway. I do, however feel that Americans should be allowed free travel to Cuba, as they do to any other country (probably even N. Korea). To forbid citizens from leaving the U.S. to go anywhere they want seems to be "un-American". With the embargo in place, I could understand restrictions on bringing souveniers, etc. back into the U.S. from Cuba. As far as spending money on hotels, meals--well, one needs to eat and sleep. As a Canadian (and American--dual citizen), I did feel bad about going there and supporting a country that basically forbids it's citizens to leave--that's been my biggest thing against the communist countries past and present. But what the hey, it's up to the Cuban people to kick Raul out, not us--it finally happened after 70+ years in the CCCP.

just pretty much don't go to cuba. it's a terrorist country, you can't do anything without telling the government. you can't just go and 'tour the country,' or 'see the scenery,' as you would in literally ANY other country.

don't go to cuba.

How WRONG you are!

When we went to Cuba, we rented a scooter and guide for the day($14us). We rode all over the place and visited a Cuban family and a harbour and shipyard where the pirates used to anchor. Took a tour up a river to a Cuban farm for lunch. The people are poor but they are very happy. Never seen one soldier or machine gun the whole time.

First of all Cuba isn't a third world country.
When you go to Cuba they DON'T stamp your passport, instead they give you a gold stamp when you arrive to show to customs when you leave. They let you keep the stamp. we still have our's.
When we went there was about 10 or 15 Americans on our plane.

just pretty much don't go to cuba. it's a terrorist country, you can't do anything without telling the government. you can't just go and 'tour the country,' or 'see the scenery,' as you would in literally ANY other country.

don't go to cuba.

Spoken like an ignorant individual who has never been there.

The diving in Varadero is good, not spectacular tho. Baracuda's is the local dive op, and if possible get on one of their smaller 6 pack boats, and not on their cattle boats. Although, on the cattle boat, we did have the option of a fresh caught and cooked lobster meal on the boat.

The guide with Baracuda's told me they go once a week to the south side of the island, where he tells me the diving is much nicer. Check into that.

Jim

don't go to cuba.

You need to Get out of CT. and see the world (Quit watching CNN!). Cuba is not a Terrorist country it is a Communist (or close to it anyway) Country similar to China and Russia. You never hear of a Cuban hijacking a plane or plotting to blow up a building.

IMHO the US should end all of the nonsense. From what Ive seen the Cubans like American Cars etc... Why not open trade maybe we could export some stuff to them.

You have to travel through Canada or Mexico and make sure they don't stamp your passport in Cuba. The problem is you may also need to lie about the countries you visited.

Adam

You need to Get out of CT. and see the world (Quit watching CNN!). Cuba is not a Terrorist country it is a Communist (or close to it anyway) Country similar to China and Russia. You never hear of a Cuban hijacking a plane or plotting to blow up a building.

Have you ever heard of a Cuban (who could afford to) simply getting on a plane and leaving the country? That also wasn't possible in the USSR. Russia today is not the USSR and is not communist and citizens are free to leave. To some extent Chinese are free to leave also, but that is probably due to the fact that China is pretty much a super capitalist country with (amazingly still) a communist govt. Anyone left N. Korea lately? I did find that a fair percentage of Cubans seemed happier than the Soviet citizens I encountered in 1984. Many of the resort workers seemed fairly happy--they also have some of the best paying jobs (so to speak) in the country and receive tips in hard currency and incidentals from tourists at times. Maybe life is somewhat better than under Battista, but most Cubans are dirt poor. And not allowed to set foot off the island. I agree it's not at all a Terrorist country. Nor was the USSR-not allowed. Cuba is a beautiful tropical paradise communist dictatorship.

enjoy cuba then, fellas. i'd personally rather not risk my american passport and my ass in jail. question is for you, then, with all the regulations and problems in the country, why would you go there, when you could just go anywhere else in the caribbean? i'm speaking, of course, to all the americans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom