Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, lots of ignorance. Of course this forum is on the da net so I guess I should not be surprised.

1. Travel to Cuba by Americans is not illegal.

2. Spending money by Americans is illegal - search trading with the enemy (at least read gwklein post above).

3. The best way for an American to travel to Cuba is through Cancun. Canada works but I have heard rumors about Americans buying tickets from Canada to Cuba to be difficult. However, there are other countries such as the Cayman Islands which one can fly through. However, your adventure will start before you get there (be sure to get a window seat). Best to stick to Cancun and larger planes.

4. The Cuba government understands the relationship between American who come to Cuba and their government. As such, American passports do not get stamped.

5. Enjoy your visit some very cool things to see above and below.

Lots of Americans fly to Cuba. Some get caught and pay the price. The Cubans do not stamp your passport. Of course, recent rule changes allow Cuban Americans to go there legally.

May I ask the OP: Why are you going to Cuba? Specifically to dive? If so, Varadero is not the first choice. Or are you planning on a little diving while on an all inclusive beach resort?

I spent four nights in varadero, you´ll have a good time and its busy with Europeans. I flew from Cancun to Havana and there were at least 50 Americans on the plane. The Cubans welcome all tourists and the US citizans just don´t get their passport stamped so don´t stress it at all.....
Drink plenty of Mojitos!

I go to Cuba all the time and there are always Americans there. You just can't fly from the states. The cubans will not stamp your passport so you do not get in trouble with homeland security for your future travels. Cubans want any tourist dollars. I went to Sandals Veradero and found it to be over rated. There are 4.5 stars that are better. If you are going just to dive I would go to cayo Guilermo the diving there is very good but no night life. The diving is just o.k. at Sandals but then you have night life. I guess it depends what you like. The beaches are beautiful and the Cuban people are very friendly.
Scuba Bear

You never hear of a Cuban hijacking a plane or plotting to blow up a building.

Not exactly true, as anybody with access to google can see. Or, for that matter, anybody who remembers the 60's or 70's (stipulating in advance that not everybody who lived through those decades can necessarily remember them...).

That being said, I think it's important to remember that the people of Cuba are just that. People. No better or worse than the people of any other country. I'm excluding politicians from the category of "people" obviously.

. The people are poor but they are very happy. Never seen one soldier or machine gun the whole time.

I found the people working at Beaches Veradero seemed fairly happy. As I mentioned, I heard they have some of the best jobs in the country. Higher education is free and apparently the health care is super, but a doctor makes the same as the guy who sweeps his office. I certainly would not agree that the average Cuban is very happy. Some are. Certainly not those in a big chunk of Havana. Lots of slums. People on the side of the road looking for rides?-not very happy. The soldiers that stopped us in our waitress's freind's car did have rifles and took her $50 to let us pass. They were probably happy. The car we used belonged to a freind. When she drove with that male freind she had to pretend he was her husband because the govt. frowns upon women alone in a car with someone other than their husbands. She could be accused of being a prostitute. She had to have her Beaches waitress uniform hanging up in the back window as proof she worked there and had reason to come and go from there. She had a dirty cement + dirt floor house with only cold running water (which she was unable to turn off completely). Her toddler had one toy, a metal cup. She said she had a high standard of living compared to most of Cardenas (the self-proclaimed bicycle capitol of the world--there is a statue).
She was very pleasant and I will say, seemed quite happy. I hope the people can at some point change things there like the Soviets finally did. I guess what I'm saying is, at least with our experiences, observing life at the resort is not a all like the real Cuba.
And tourists at the resorts rarely spoke favourably about America.

I have been with Americans who have traveled to Cuba via Toronto on a package deal. You will need to check with the package operator re visa requirements etc. While Americans are not supposed to travel to Cuba, a fair number do go via Toronto. What I saw was when they arrived the Cuban authorities spent a bit more time checking their passport, but did not stamp it, so the US Government would not be aware they had travelled to cuba.
The stuff about the official line blaming the US for some of the difficulties is correct, and it is exaggerated, even if the CIA has made numerous attempts on Castro's life over the years, especially the 60's and 70's.
If you want to dive their are better locations that Varadero. It is the busiest beach site on the Island and quite a ways from decent dive sites.

Yes, the people there are sooooo happy, that they cobble together rafts from crates and driftwood and risk their lives attempting to drift over to Florida. Because, of course, they want to bring American's (who are so heartlessly banned from going to Cuba by the evil American empire) back over to Cuba to share their wonderful country and health care system with us. Yes, yes, viva Cuba! Life there is paradise.

I would love to go to Cuba but with an American passport i am not interested in the nonsense that it will bring when i return to the USA. It is all politics and has nothing to do with common sense. Cuba is not a terrorist country no matter what Rush or O'reilly say.

From the Department of State Website, Note Vacation is NOT an allowable travel reason.
Current Permissible Travel to Cuba

The travel regulations can be found at 31CFR 515.560, which references other
sections of the Cuban Assets Control Regulations for travel-related transaction
licensing criteria. (For an overview of the Treasury Department regulations on travel
to Cuba, see OFAC’s website [http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/]). At
present, certain categories of travelers may travel to Cuba under a general license,
which means that there is no need to obtain special permission from OFAC. In
addition, a wide variety of travelers engaging in family visits, and educational,
religious, humanitarian, and other activities may be eligible for specific licenses.
Applications for specific licenses are reviewed and granted by OFAC on a case by
case basis. Some specific licenses may authorize multiple trips to Cuba over an
extended period of time.
CRS-7
The general license categories include the following:
! Officials of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain
intergovernmental organizations traveling on official business (31
CFR 515.562);
! Persons regularly employed as journalists by a news reporting
organization or by persons regularly employed as supporting
broadcast or technical personnel (31 CFR 515.563); and
! Full-time professionals conducting professional research in their
areas (provided that the research is of a noncommercial, academic
nature, that the research comprises a full work schedule in Cuba, and
that the research has a substantial likelihood of public dissemination)
or attending professional meetings or conferences in Cuba organized
by an international professional organization, institution, or
association that regularly sponsors meetings or conferences in other
countries (31 CFR 515.564).
The specific license categories include the following:
! Persons visiting a member of their immediate family (spouse, child,
grandchild, parent, grandparent, or sibling) who is a national of Cuba
for a period not to exceed 14 days and once in a three-year period
(31 CFR 515.561);
! Persons visiting an immediate family member who is not a national
of Cuba and is in exigent circumstances, provided the person being
visited is in Cuba pursuant to OFAC authorization, the exigency has
been reported to the U.S. Interests Section in Havana, and the license
would support the mission of the U.S. Interests Section (31 CFR
515.561);
! Free-lance journalists (31 CFR 515.563);
! Professional researchers undertaking research or attending
professional meetings who do not qualify for a general license (31
CFR 515.564);
! Specific institutional licenses (up to one year) for students and fulltime
employees of undergraduate or graduate degree-granting
academic institutions to participate in educational activities. These
activities include participation in a structured educational program
in Cuba as part of a course offered at the licensed institution (not
less than 10 weeks); noncommercial academic research in Cuba
specifically related to Cuba for the purpose of obtaining a graduate
degree; participation in a formal course of study at a Cuban
institution (not less than 10 weeks) provided it will be accepted for
credit toward the student’s undergraduate or graduate degree at the
licensed U.S. institution; teaching at a Cuban academic institution
CRS-8
1 U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control, “ Comprehensive
Guidelines for License Applications to Engage in Travel-Related Transactions Involving
Cuba,” Sept. 2004 (although the guidelines note that these limits on religious travel were
added on Mar. 31, 2005).
(not less than 10 weeks); and sponsorship of a Cuban scholar to
teach or engage in other scholarly activity at the licensed institution.
(CFR 515.565);
! U.S. religious organizations, for its members undertaking religious
activities in Cuba (31 CFR 515.566); [Note: According to OFAC,
specific licenses under 515.566(a), which does not limit the number
of travelers or the frequency of trips, are for smaller religious
organizations, such as individual churches and congregational units;
larger religious organizations, such as national associations of
churches, may now obtain a license under 515.566(b), which,
according to revised March 2005 licensing guidelines “will only
authorize up to twenty-five (25) individuals to travel to Cuba per trip
and will permit no more than one trip per calendar quarter.”1]
! Amateur or semi-professional athletes participating in competitions,
provided that the competition is held under the auspices of the
international sports federation for the relevant sport, that U.S.
participants are selected by the U.S. federation for the relevant sport,
and that the competition is open for attendance, and in relevant
situations, for the Cuban public. Those involved in public
performances, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions,
provided that the event is open for attendance, and in relevant
situations, participation by the Cuban public, and that all profits are
donated to an independent nongovernmental organization in Cuba
or a U.S.-based charity (31 CFR 515.567);
! Those traveling for activities in support of the Cuban people, such
as activities of recognized human rights organizations, activities
designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy, and
activities intended to strengthen civil society (31 CFR 515.574);